Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acedrums

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Southwest
Ok, heres the deal:
My Bud an I (anti mac friend, sadly) went looking around the internet how to put movies onto your iPod by ripping them off the DVD. His attempt ended... well, lets say he has to get a new computer. So I was wondering, is there away for Mac users to do it that assures three things: Computer wont die or lose memory or what not, Movie is usable after being ripped, and IT IS FREE! :D Please Help!

GedBlue

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Leeds, UK
Yeah, Handbrake is fantastic software!

Be careful with the settings though for iPod touch - I ripped some dvds and then the files wouldn't play on my old iPod touch - idiot! Haha!

acedrums

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Southwest
Ok, I tried it and it work... ish. The audio is perfect, but the video... well, you cant even see the original image. Im no video producer, but I can tell you right now that it would be lucky to get an grade F

It comes out with all this green and static crap and you cant even see the image. I tried going back and fixing it and well, nothing work. Any suggestions or is it just the DVD?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
First, don't run any other CPU-hungry apps while ripping/encoding a DVD. Make sure the DVD plays well (no green, static) on your TV just to confirm it's not scratched or something. Use the default iPhone/iPod touch setting found under the Apple category in Handbrake (the drawer that slides out on the right).

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
just to make sure.

you started handbrake, clicked the 'source' button, selected the video/dvd, clicked 'iPhone / iPod Touch' preset on the right hand side, and pressed start?

Did the 'activity window' log present any errors? does the video not work on the computer, the ipod touch, or both?

acedrums

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Southwest
First, don't run any other CPU-hungry apps while ripping/encoding a DVD. Make sure the DVD plays well (no green, static) on your TV just to confirm it's not scratched or something. Use the default iPhone/iPod touch setting found under the Apple category in Handbrake (the drawer that slides out on the right).

I stopped all programs except for the Internet, and I checked the DVD on my TV and Computer (worked fine), as well as the default settings. Same exact results sadly.

just to make sure.

you started handbrake, clicked the 'source' button, selected the video/dvd, clicked 'iPhone / iPod Touch' preset on the right hand side, and pressed start?

Did the 'activity window' log present any errors? does the video not work on the computer, the ipod touch, or both?

The only issue it came up was this:
HandBrake could not find VLC.
Please download and install VLC media player in your /Applications folder if you wish to read encrypted DVDs

But it read it, it just didn't come out clear. So ya, still same issue.

Hi,
I don't understand why you would want to rip DVDs yourself, since people who do that really well (like aXXo) upload their perfect files all the time! You will probably never reach the rip quality of these people. So just download that (I use µtorrent and the pirate bay as database for torrents), and convert it for your ipod touch, with a program like Movies2iPhone (which I use, it works perfectly, no settings needed!)
I've been doing this for ages and it works fine, and my computer is still fine ;).
I'm a windows user ('got nothing against mac, but I just happened to buy a pc), but this method should work for you too!

... isn't that illegal :confused:. Sorry, I'm a musician and I understand the world of illegal downloading too well, and I am strongly against it. Music is a world of expression, time, and a job. Illegally downloading to me is equal to stealing. And sorry if thats not what it is or you meant, but it really gets on my nerves.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Handbrake usually gets very good results...make sure all your settings are correct. Also the preset may be wrong as previously suggested.

Ikar

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
Well, I suppose it is illegal... But are you sure DVD rip is allowed? I think it's illegal too! But I don't know for sure, so I can't help you there^^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.