PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Recording

jedoyle
Jul 17, 2009, 03:09 PM
So I am finally switching from Windows XP to OS X for recording and mixing and have decided on a 13" Macbook Pro because I do a lot of mobile recordings and really like the portability, plus I already have a 24" monitor I hook up to at home. My 1.83 gHZ Dell with 1 GB of ram was able to record at least 10 tracks at 24 / 44.1 easily, and mix 24 tracks at 24 / 44.1 with my MOTU 828 mk II hooked up to it. I tend to use a good amount of Waves plugins and convolution reverbs. Whichever Macbook Pro I get, I already have 4 GB of ram and a 7200 rpm drive I would put in. Will I be able to do all this with the 2.26 Macbook, or am I going to need to get the 2.53?

Halvdan
Jul 17, 2009, 03:39 PM
The 2.26 will be fine, though the 2.53 is obviously a tad bit faster. One of the best things of computer recording is the ability to optimize your work flow to suit your hardware. Using a lot of processor intensive plug-ins, you might have to push your buffer settings a bit, and you might have the need to bounce down some tracks as you go. It's all about being economical and structured when you mix.

That being said, my 2.4 umbp 15" 2gb handles large, plug-in loaded sessions surprisingly well, and with the addition of an external fw800 drive, it can handle more tracks than i typically need (and i like to use a lot of tracks).

:)