Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I just purchased a lacie external hd. It uses firewire instead of usb 2.0. If I buy a firewire hub, can I import my video straight to the lacie from my mini dv camcorder? Or, do I need to return it for a 2.0 model? My PB only has one firewire port, so am I screwed? Thanks.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
You should be able to daisy-chain them and and import your DV (using iTunes or FCP) onto your external drive.

i_b_joshua

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
i_b_joshua said:
You should be able to daisy-chain them and and import your DV (using iTunes or FCP) onto your external drive.

i_b_joshua

Excuse the dumb a$$ question, what is daisy-chain?

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
In regards to your original question, you probably have to still use the computer. Firewire doesn't inherently need a computer (like USB), but the camera or the hard drive would need software onboard to make the transfer happen.

As for daisy-chaining, the hard drive should have two Firewire ports. Just plug the hard drive into the computer and the camera into the hard drive. Even though you'll be using the computer to make the transfer happen, hopefully the data will go directly from the camera to the hard drive.

With USB, the processor has to handle every chunk of data. That's why USB 2.0 is theoretically faster than Firewire 400 (480 Mbits versus 400 Mbits per second), but Firewire wins in real world tests. If you're transfering data from your Firewire hard drive to your internal hard drive, the processor has little to do with it and you'll see speed loss on your system (unless you are doing another disk operation or heavy into virtual memory.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.