PDA

View Full Version : RIP Power Mac G4

MacBytes
Jun 9, 2004, 10:09 AM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: RIP Power Mac G4 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040609110917)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Keynoteuser
Jun 9, 2004, 11:30 AM
First the page says 1.8 G4, which never existed

Second, the G4 isn't going away, just the low end SINGLE PROCESSOR version is. Gotta love crappy journalism and misleading headlines.

1macker1
Jun 9, 2004, 02:22 PM
Rip my patooty. I'm hoping to catch CompUSA with a dual G4 on sale for a low price.

wdlove
Jun 9, 2004, 03:22 PM
I would be surprised if they would continue to make the Power Mac G4. Only time will give us the answer for sure.

numediaman
Jun 9, 2004, 04:14 PM
I'm confused. The story doesn't say that the PowerMac G4 is going away -- only that the single processor version is gone. If Apple won't sell G4's they will have absolutely nothing to sell to anyone other than a small (very small) group interested in top end machines.

No, I anticipate a new G4 desktop -- they better introduce one because this new G5 introduction has me bored to death. (And the Airport Express introduce is just as boring once you learn all the details.)

MacsRgr8
Jun 9, 2004, 04:19 PM
Some still use Mac OS 9 (Quark 4?), and must get a Mac to replace their broken one.

Killing off this PowerMac will kill Mac OS 9 definitely. I think it's good to leave the customers a choice.... as long as it doesn't cost Apple money.

Whenever a customer buys this PowerMac, he stumbles over the gr8 PowerMac G5's and wonders when he can migrate to Mac OS X! He knows that this outdated "Power"Mac G4 is a bad bargain, but seemingly needs it badly....

nagromme
Jun 9, 2004, 04:41 PM
The Apple store still sells PMG4s--even single CPU ones. Duals are BTO.

Looks like soon dual could be standard and no more singles. Why manufacture two models? BUT since technically duals are an option on a model that's "normally" a single, then discontinuing singles COULD mean that entire G4 model is going away with nothing to replace it.

These will stay around only if there's a market for them. (Which could be surprising. Remember how long the G3 iMac stayed around? People were buying them LONG after the G4 iMac came out. Even after the eMac.) But from what Apple's said to my knowledge, it could be interpreted that the G4 towers are about to be done away with entirely.

And no new low-end cheaper-than-ever-G5 single tower either. Could new consumer offerings be coming up at WWDC to fill in the gap? Headless eMac please?

snooziums
Jun 9, 2004, 04:41 PM
They cannot replace the PowerMac G4 just yet!

Apple still does not have a PowerMac G5 that had two expandable drive bays! In fact, the only drive bay in the PowerMac G5 is not replaceable!

So what if you wanted to install an internal optical drive? Cannot be done with the current G5.

Also, the PowerMac G4 has four internal harddrive spaces as well as four PCI slots. So in terms if expandability, it is still much better than the G5.

When Apple releases an expandable G5, then they can discontinue the G4, however not until then.

Nermal
Jun 9, 2004, 06:00 PM
I own one of these G4s. I'm looking at selling it once Virtual PC 7 comes out, hopefully I'll still be able to sell it as a "current model" and therefore get more for it :)

Jo-Kun
Jun 9, 2004, 06:26 PM
Apple still does not have a PowerMac G5 that had two expandable drive bays! In fact, the only drive bay in the PowerMac G5 is not replaceable!.

I did just check the drive in my G5, you CAN replace it... its just a standard type IDE connection... you need to unscrew the 'mount' of it and then replace it with another drive...

and why would you need 2 drives anyway, (yes in my old P2 I had 2 drives because combo drives were not available and I had one DVD and one cd-rw) until the MDD G4 came out no mac had this option and it never did bother me (and a lot of other mac-professionals I know) yes the superdrive writes slower on cd-rw than most drives do now (I had an external 52X wich was connected to my ex-Ti-Book or my ex-B&WG3 before but I sold it when I got my G5 since I could only write cd's wich could be read with any system if I wrote them at 24x... a speed wich the G5 superdrive can handle perfectly...)

if you get the right systems (maybe less obvious in the new ones to install, don't know yet) you can even add up to 2,8TB internal in your G5 (that's 7 400GB SATA drives...) ok in this fact you lose all your PCI slots to 3 SATA controllers... but you could just go for 2 extra drives and lose one PCI slot wich still gives you 1,6TB

so how many PCI cards do you need to be able to plug into your mac??

in the old company where I used to work we needed 2 slots, one for the cameracontroller and one for SCSI because we had some old hardware wich required it... and they used both videoports on the videocontroller if anyone used dual monitors... for the rest we used USB & FireWire...

and I use allso 2 monitors on my G5 now without problems... and all PCI slots are available now...

the only reason for keeping the G4 there is for people who realy need OS9... for non compatible soft/hardware... like some older studio digital camerabacks do... but manufacturors are making new cards wich can work with X & my old company changed from Quark4 to InDesign last year...

so indeed if you really need more than 3PCI slots I think you have a point...

grts

Jo

mrsebastian
Jun 9, 2004, 06:38 PM
heck i didn't know you could still get g4 towers?! if you want a g4, i say get an imac or a used machine.

snooziums
Jun 9, 2004, 07:19 PM
I did just check the drive in my G5, you CAN replace it... its just a standard type IDE connection... you need to unscrew the 'mount' of it and then replace it with another drive...

Although it is a standard IDE connection, the front (drive face) of it is custom. As far as I know, a standard 5 & 1/4 drive will not fit because of the narrow-height opening for just the drive door.

You see, I have this very expensive internal 8x DVD +/- RW burner. It is a standard drive type configuration, with a white face. I do not know if it will work in the PowerMac G5, because the height if the opening is not standard.

I need the ability to record DVDs in BOTH the plus and minus formats, which the current "new" SuperDrive does not allow.

And also, replacing the optical drive yourself will void the warranty on the G5, and no Apple service center will do that kind of upgrade.

so how many PCI cards do you need to be able to plug into your mac??

Lets see, since the G5 does not have built-in SCSI support, then a SCSI card is needed, and since the G5 does not come with a audio-editing audio card, then a audio editing card is needed. Well, there is two right there.

Jo-Kun
Jun 9, 2004, 07:26 PM
I can check by getting out the drive and comparing the height with an old drive wich I have here...

and since apple uses sony or pioneer drives I think they use standard 5 1/4 formats... I don't see that the face of my drive is altered...

J

snooziums
Jun 9, 2004, 07:39 PM
Note: see edit to post above.

I guess I am wondering if this (see below) will fit into the PowerMac G5.

Jo-Kun
Jun 9, 2004, 07:53 PM
I just checked and indeed you might have a point there ;-)

on my drive they removed the 'open' button but that's not the point...

indeed the thing that matters is the top height of the tray... there is enough room on the side and below... but the topside is exactly the same height as the inside of this tray... but if I'm right you can remove the front of your tray by pushing it upwards... it happened with my old dvd-drive once.. just clicked it back on... I think they left this part out when they assembeled it...

just open the drive (plug it into any computers poweroutlet and open it) and see if you can remove the front end of this tray... if you can do this... you can put it inside a G5, if not... hmm hard luck, get a FireWire or USB2 enclosure for it...

and about the PCI slots... you need 2, so 3-2=1, there is still one available to use for an extra SATA controller if you need +800GB (you can add 2 400GB SATA drives allready... ok they're not cheap...) and then get the G5Jam from wiebetech or a similar solution to max it out on 4 drives...

edit: my drive is a Pioneer DVR-107 according to Pioneer: 8x DVD+/-RW...
edit2: it looks exactly like yours exept for the 'open' button and the front of the tray wich is not there...

winmacguy
Jun 9, 2004, 09:26 PM
Some still use Mac OS 9 (Quark 4?), and must get a Mac to replace their broken one.

Killing off this PowerMac will kill Mac OS 9 definitely. I think it's good to leave the customers a choice.... as long as it doesn't cost Apple money.

Whenever a customer buys this PowerMac, he stumbles over the gr8 PowerMac G5's and wonders when he can migrate to Mac OS X! He knows that this outdated "Power"Mac G4 is a bad bargain, but seemingly needs it badly....
A lot of the Print and Design industry is still on G4s and OS9 ( and in some cases OS8) The bulk of graphic designers and mac operators still use and swear by Quark 4.1. I think most of the main UK Papers/press offices still use G4s and OS9 - Quark for their dayly press publications. Most prnters and prepress are set up for OS9 and/or earlier OS's. The cost for the upgrade and switch over would be in the 100,000 dollars to 1,000,000 + for a big pre press set up

Keynoteuser
Jun 9, 2004, 09:51 PM
I just wish the G5 could handle MORE drives inside. I'm going to wait till we start to see larger SATA drives. Right now I have 4 drives in my G4 and I like it that way. If I get a G5 now, I either have only TWO drives (which would be as big as I can get) or I have a stack of FW 800 drives. Both of which I'll have to shell out some more cash for. As a video editor, I don't like the idea of only having 2 drives, but I guess it must be okay as so many are doing just that. What I want to do is sell my Dual 867 and get a new Dual 1.25 just to hold me for a while longer. It'll take all my old drives and PCI cards till I decide to make the plunge to G5.

Nermal
Jun 10, 2004, 04:59 AM
heck i didn't know you could still get g4 towers?! if you want a g4, i say get an imac or a used machine.

iMacs can't run OS 9.

Jo-Kun
Jun 10, 2004, 05:28 AM
I just wish the G5 could handle MORE drives inside. I'm going to wait till we start to see larger SATA drives. Right now I have 4 drives in my G4 and I like it that way. If I get a G5 now, I either have only TWO drives (which would be as big as I can get) or I have a stack of FW 800 drives. Both of which I'll have to shell out some more cash for. As a video editor, I don't like the idea of only having 2 drives, but I guess it must be okay as so many are doing just that. What I want to do is sell my Dual 867 and get a new Dual 1.25 just to hold me for a while longer. It'll take all my old drives and PCI cards till I decide to make the plunge to G5.

I posted this yesterday in this thread: if you get the right systems (maybe less obvious in the new ones to install, don't know yet) you can even add up to 2,8TB internal in your G5 (that's 7 400GB SATA drives...) ok in this fact you lose all your PCI slots to 3 SATA controllers... and a lot of money on the drives ;-)

this adds 3drives (you should ask if you can buy it without drives and than add the 400GB ones) http://www.promax.com/Products/SubCat/Storage/Internal%20SATA

and this adds 2 more drives, and you can buy it without drives so you can add whatever you like :-D http://www.wiebetech.com/products/G5Jam.html

sjk
Jun 10, 2004, 02:46 PM
Re: your sig.How many Newton users does it take to change a lightbulb?Farm.

sjk
Jun 10, 2004, 02:49 PM
I need the ability to record DVDs in BOTH the plus and minus formats, which the current "new" SuperDrive does not allow.I've successfully burned 4x DVD+RW media on the 8x SuperDrive in my eMac. Even reads on my old Pioneer DV-C503 changer.