Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tupelo3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Id like people's opinions..... im looking to buy an MBA. Im convinced from reading here frequently that a SSD would be a significant improvement over the PATA or SATA option, but i am having a hard time figuring out whether theres a huge difference between DDR2 RAM v. DDR3...... and between the Intel video chip set v. NVIDIA.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
NVIDIA is a GIGANTIC difference over the Intel. Do not buy a Rev A, it's horribly underpowered (however, it is the only model that has a screen without lines).

Honestly, I recommend waiting for the next revision, but if you buy, the newer model will perform the best. The Air needs all the performance help it can get, the DDR3 RAM helps, along with the higher clocked processor. Also, apparently even though the Graphics Card in the REV B & C are the same, the REV C's is better (likely due to Apple crippling it less).

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
I have the new Air 2.13 as a second computer (mac Pro 2.66 quad is main). I use the macbook air for web use and obviously the portability is great, i have no problems with the screen, some people appear to mention lines but i only see a lovely screen.

access to the sdd is very fast and applications open really quickly, but i have no idea if it any quicker than a normal drive.

i use wifi to access the printer and my disk drive on my mac pro and this works without problems, i also have the external apple dvd drive.

Never used version a or b but my c is bloody great!

shop around for the new macbook air i got mine via amazon marketplace for £200 cheaper than apple

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The Rev A should be completely out of the question these days unless you know it will be an e-mail/iChat/web browsing machine only.

Rev B is more than suitable and not slow enough to really warrant an upgrade from Rev B to C imho. However, whatever Rev D will be will most likely be a great jump for me.

I would highly recommend saving some pennies and getting the Rev B. Then again this is a secondary computer for me to which I have a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro to compliment my lineup.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The Nvidia 9400m is what saved the MBA. The original should not even be considered. And the 9400m is even more important with Snow Leopard due out in a few months. Snow Leopard will take advantage of the GPU and OpenCL will make the rev B/C MBAs even more superior to the original.

Really though, for $1449 refurbished, both the 9400m and SSD can be had. That is one nice Mac that will far outrun the inferior HDD version. I highly recommend the rev b over original. Nearly as strongly, I recommend the SSD over the HDD.

Good luck.

tupelo3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
The Nvidia 9400m is what saved the MBA. The original should not even be considered. And the 9400m is even more important with Snow Leopard due out in a few months. Snow Leopard will take advantage of the GPU and OpenCL will make the rev B/C MBAs even more superior to the original.

Really though, for $1449 refurbished, both the 9400m and SSD can be had. That is one nice Mac that will far outrun the inferior HDD version. I highly recommend the rev b over original. Nearly as strongly, I recommend the SSD over the HDD.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.