PDA

View Full Version : I received a PANIC error message during ichat-- won't turn on now?

addieeeeeeeeeee
Jul 18, 2009, 01:24 AM
On Tuesday I was using my computer for several hours when a "Panic" error message appeared. I could not move the mouse or get the computer to respond so I restarted. At this point my computer would not turn back on, so I removed the battery pack and replaced it, it still did not turn on. I hadn't been doing anything except sitting in my room talking on ichat and browsing on safari, so naturally I was really confused how such a cataclysmic event occur that would cause my computer to not even restart. At this point I got on my PC downstairs and made an appointment with my local Apple store.

When I got to the store they told me at the genius bar that it had been a kernel error, and asked me a few general questions about its typical performance and whether anything had been out of the ordinary recently, it had not. Next the "genius" I was working with asked if I had been having battery issues, and I did not think I had been until he asked if it was typical for my computer to be "calculating remaining battery". My computer had been giving me that message periodically since I bought it, but I thought that was typical. That is exactly what I told him and then he said he thought it could be my Logic Board, but as long as I had not spilled anything on it the AppleCare would cover any repairs.

Finally today (Friday) the store called to tell me that they opened it up and found "extensive corrosion due to water incursion", which of course completely took me off guard since I have NEVER spilled ANYTHING on my computer. Immediately the repair technician I was speaking with became rude and defensive insisting I had spilled water on the laptop. After getting off the phone with the "gentleman" my mom and I were thinking about how this "corrosion" was possible and we thought that perhaps the fact that I walk about 2 miles to class in 7 degree weather and entering college classrooms that are heated to about 80 degrees, condensation could be the culprit.

So my mom, my dad and I went into the Apple store to see the "corrosion" first hand. There was some slight, white powdery stuff about two centimeters in diameter near the battery when the keyboard and the top of the casing were removed, but other than that all the circuitry and stuff appeared to be in fine condition... Apple refuses to do anything about it, insisting I spilled something on it or in their words "a roommate could have spilled a beer on it when I wasn't looking" I'm glad that's what they think of their college-age clientele).

So, after that lengthy story, my QUESTION is... Could condensation create enough corrosion to crash my entire computer and ruin my Logic Board? and/or Is this typical for Apple to "find" corrosion on a computer that is a few years old and crashes due to their own ineptitude and they want out of the warranty?

Buskape
Jul 18, 2009, 06:26 AM
Gosh please space your phrases it is a pain to read.

Yes corrosion can destroy your computer, and Apple is more likely to blame you for liquid spills.

addieeeeeeeeeee
Jul 18, 2009, 09:02 AM
Gosh please space your phrases it is a pain to read.

Yes corrosion can destroy your computer, and Apple is more likely to blame you for liquid spills.

I know that corrosion can destroy, I'm curious about condensation causing corrosion, or mac simply creating an issue so they can opt out of honoring the warranty.

Buskape
Jul 18, 2009, 02:40 PM
I know that corrosion can destroy, I'm curious about condensation causing corrosion, or mac simply creating an issue so they can opt out of honoring the warranty.

They will try at all costs, it saves them money.

Try calling Apple(not an applestore) instead of going to the applestore explain your situation and just be nice, direct and polite, and make him know you want it fixed ASAP ;)

I've heard alot of stories of people being rejected by a "Genius" but have fixed their problem by calling Apple.