PDA

View Full Version : Native Blu-ray ripping for OS X is finally here!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cave Man
Jul 18, 2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.makemkv.com/

Unfortunately, my Blu-ray drive is ROM only, thus OS X blocks access to it (thanks Apple!), so I cannot give it a try. Supposedly, there's a plist that can be modified to allow access to ROM drives, but I'm having trouble locating this information. If anyone knows what it is, I'd sure appreciate it if you could pass it along.

Edit: Lots of activity since this first post. You can now repackage DTS into AC3 Dolby Digital (http://www.lprestonsegoiii.com/2009/09/install-script-for-mkv-dts-to-ac3-snow-leopard/) under Snow Leopard. This will allow conversion of MKV into M4V with Handbrake with the inclusion of AC3 Dolby Digital audio. Also have a read here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=836043).

zedsdead
Jul 18, 2009, 10:33 AM
Someone who has a Blu-Ray drive needs to try this out!!!! I have been impatiently waiting for a Blu-Ray ripper for Mac so I could encode using Handbrake (not ever installing Windows).

If it works, let us know what drive you use please!:D

bucksaddle
Jul 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
Trying now. Looks like its gonna take about 50 mins to create the file, but it certainly is ripping and creating an mkv file.
I'm using an external Pioneer BDC-202 within a USB caddy.

bucksaddle
Jul 18, 2009, 12:02 PM
Well, that seemed to work - took about 40 minutes in the end to rip my Falling Down Blu-Ray. My target device is the Apple TV so i fired up HandBrake and it read the file no problem, and as a bonus it recognises the chapter markers - so thats another step gone from Windows with Chapter Grabber.

The only drawback i can see is titles that have DTS-MA tracks. I like to keep surround sound so i always convert these to AC3 with eac3to (if only the ATV supported DTS (without hacking)) but that's my preference.

So, for Blu-Rays that have Dolby True HD tracks this program looks like a winner as it strips the AC3 core from that track. Great stuff

GoCubsGo
Jul 18, 2009, 12:03 PM
If this is something that is not overly expensive and works with minimal to no hacking then I'm in!

zedsdead
Jul 18, 2009, 12:16 PM
Well, that seemed to work - took about 40 minutes in the end to rip my Falling Down Blu-Ray. My target device is the Apple TV so i fired up HandBrake and it read the file no problem, and as a bonus it recognises the chapter markers - so thats another step gone from Windows with Chapter Grabber.

The only drawback i can see is titles that have DTS-MA tracks. I like to keep surround sound so i always convert these to AC3 with eac3to (if only the ATV supported DTS (without hacking)) but that's my preference.

So, for Blu-Rays that have Dolby True HD tracks this program looks like a winner as it strips the AC3 core from that track. Great stuff

Thank's for the info! What USB caddy do you have?

Cave Man
Jul 18, 2009, 12:21 PM

Can you pass the output file through tsmuxer to downsample the DTS-MA to DTS?

jakerules133
Jul 18, 2009, 08:16 PM
I just did a test run on a regular dvd and it just made mkv files (what I was expecting). So is this like anydvd hd for mac? I really don't want to have to use windows for blu ray rips.

And while we're sort of on the topic and cave man is in the thread, if I made an iso of a blu ray, would i be able to play it in plex like it would in a blu ray player? (with the menus, extras, and subtitle screens)

BaronVonFlapJac
Jul 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
Im so surprised there are so few posts on this particular forum. I have been waiting a long time for this type of software for HDDVD and BLU RAY.

I think some of you guys are missing the fact that this software is for MAC OS as well, not just windows.

For the guys that have successfully ripped a blu ray:

1. Were you able to watch the movie on your apple tv?
2. What was the quality, same as disc?
3. How big was the file?
4. Did you use the windows or mac software?

Im curious if my XBOX HD DVD will work on the mac with this software. Id love to rip all my HD's and get them on my apple tv.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jul 18, 2009, 10:58 PM
interesting, can't wait to give it a try.

sammich
Jul 18, 2009, 11:08 PM
Can we use the PS3 drive with Linux to copy the image first?

jared_kipe
Jul 19, 2009, 12:08 AM
Can we use the PS3 drive with Linux to copy the image first?

That would be nice, depending on speed.

This new sounds GREAT

rspeaker
Jul 19, 2009, 12:24 AM
Native BluRay ripping in OSX would finally get me interested in BluRay. I want to hear a little more about this, but it sounds great!

If it converts to mkv, and then the file was re-encoded for iPod/iPhone, what kind of loss in quality would there be? (I know to expect some, but not how much.)

BORIStheBLADE
Jul 19, 2009, 12:45 AM

If you have mediainfo on your apple do you think you can post up what it says on your file?

I use makemkv for all my DVD's and curious what mediainfo says.

thanks

BORIStheBLADE
Jul 19, 2009, 12:50 AM
I just did a test run on a regular dvd and it just made mkv files (what I was expecting). So is this like anydvd hd for mac? I really don't want to have to use windows for blu ray rips.

And while we're sort of on the topic and cave man is in the thread, if I made an iso of a blu ray, would i be able to play it in plex like it would in a blu ray player? (with the menus, extras, and subtitle screens)

It doesn't save .ISO's.

This is what it should look like before you have it rip a movie to get just one file.

Chad H
Jul 19, 2009, 01:20 AM
Can someone post a how to guide or a walkthrough? Or is the program self explanatory? I'm thinking I might run to best buy tomorrow and pick up a blue ray burner. :)

bucksaddle
Jul 19, 2009, 02:21 AM
Can you pass the output file through tsmuxer to downsample the DTS-MA to DTS?

The program does the same as it does for True HD / AC3 - it automatically strips the DTS core from DTS-MA tracks, so no need to pass thru TSMuxer

bucksaddle
Jul 19, 2009, 02:30 AM
Thank's for the info! What USB caddy do you have?

JMicron 20336 - buy actually badged as a Joy-Jye here:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Jou-Jye-ST-2512SUES-525-External-Aluminum-Box-SATA-to-e-SATA-USB-20-for-CD-ROM-RW-HDD-Blu-Ray

zedsdead
Jul 19, 2009, 07:07 AM
Im so surprised there are so few posts on this particular forum. I have been waiting a long time for this type of software for HDDVD and BLU RAY.

I think some of you guys are missing the fact that this software is for MAC OS as well, not just windows.

For the guys that have successfully ripped a blu ray:

1. Were you able to watch the movie on your apple tv?
2. What was the quality, same as disc?
3. How big was the file?
4. Did you use the windows or mac software?

Im curious if my XBOX HD DVD will work on the mac with this software. Id love to rip all my HD's and get them on my apple tv.

The XBOX HD DVD drive does not work. I tried it, and the software doesn't find the drive since it does not mount.

As for HD DVD ripping, the forum of the software seems to say that it doesn't really work, nor will it be implemented or tested more because it lost the format war. Sad really, because I am in the same boat.

Anyone know if this drive will work:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRF8UEB6XSM/

It is read-only, does that matter, or does it have to be a blu-ray burner as someone else mentioned.

Cave Man
Jul 19, 2009, 08:22 AM

No, Plex does not read Blu-ray Disc file structures. You have to open each file individually.

If it converts to mkv, and then the file was re-encoded for iPod/iPhone, what kind of loss in quality would there be? (I know to expect some, but not how much.)

It sounds as though the software only repackages the audio and video into an MKV container, thus there is no loss of quality on that pass. You should be able to open the file with Handbrake and use the iPod or iPhone presets to get a very good copy.

The program does the same as it does for True HD / AC3 - it automatically strips the DTS core from DTS-MA tracks, so no need to pass thru TSMuxer

OK, that's good to know - one stop shopping.

Anyone know if this drive will work:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRF8UEB6XSM/

It is read-only, does that matter, or does it have to be a blu-ray burner as someone else mentioned.

That drive should work since it has DVD burning abilities, thus OS X should permit access to the drive.

jimmypopjr
Jul 19, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm waiting on their forums to get some info on what plist I need to edit so my BR drive can be used by this. I'd really prefer not to have to ditch my current drive and buy a burner than I'm not gonna use.

filman408
Jul 19, 2009, 11:17 AM
and as a bonus it recognises the chapter markers - so thats another step gone from Windows with Chapter Grabber.

How do you get it to do this?
VLC sees chapters, but Handbrake 0.9.3 fails to. With WallE

jdl8422
Jul 19, 2009, 02:09 PM
On the makemkv.com website it says there is support in their forum for plist mod, but there is only one post and it doest say anything about it.

Also, I ripped a couple of dvds since my BR drive isnt recognized, It ripped a dvd into a mkv with no problems, quality seems the same as well as audio. I then played it in plex and had no problems, my only question is how do u modify the metadata on an mkv file. How can I add cover art in plex? Thanks

Cave Man
Jul 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
How can I add cover art in plex? Thanks

Plex will automatically scrape the databases (i.e., IMDB, etc.) for cover art after you invoke the Set Content menu item for a given folder.

northy124
Jul 19, 2009, 02:51 PM
Downloading now and from what I have read it looks like we have a winner :D

Gonna test it out now :D

kevinbal
Jul 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wow, this couldn't come at a better time... I was about to pull the trigger and buy a license for AnyDVD HD and pick up a new blu-ray drive since I'm almost finished encoding from my HD-DVD collection. If I could do everything in OS X, that's pure win right there.

Any other early feedback? Comments? Limitations? The forum activity on makemkv's site doesn't seem too great at the moment, at least not on the OS X side.

Also, any recommendations on blu-ray drives/external enclosures? What are other people using that's confirmed to be recognized in OS X?

zedsdead
Jul 19, 2009, 06:20 PM
Downloading now and from what I have read it looks like we have a winner :D

Gonna test it out now :D

What hardware are you using?

eddyg
Jul 19, 2009, 06:57 PM
How do you get it to do this?
VLC sees chapters, but Handbrake fails to.

Use a newer version of HB

AliensAreFuzzy
Jul 19, 2009, 07:26 PM
Is anyone else getting failed verification when trying to download the .dmg?

Nermal
Jul 19, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for posting this, I'll give it a go tonight :)

Cave Man
Jul 19, 2009, 07:51 PM
Is anyone else getting failed verification when trying to download the .dmg?

That's usually a symptom of a flakey network connection. I dl'd it just fine. Better to try again after a few minutes or so.

gkarris
Jul 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
Okay, so if you rip your Blu-ray, how do you get it to the iTunes 720p HD format?

jmpg
Jul 19, 2009, 07:59 PM
I've been using an LG B06LU10 external blu-ray/hd dvd drive. MakeMKV has worked great on all the blu-ray discs I've tried. Haven't had any luck with any of my old hd dvd's though - still have to use Windows for those.

Cave Man
Jul 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
Okay, so if you rip your Blu-ray, how do you get it to the iTunes 720p HD format?

See my thread "Blu-ray to Apple TV".

jmpg
Jul 19, 2009, 08:03 PM

Handbrake works great - just use the AppleTV setting and adjust the picture size. They look great even if you don't adjust anything. You may have to convert the DTS audio if that's all the MKV has (assuming you want to maintain surround sound).

Cave Man
Jul 19, 2009, 08:06 PM
Handbrake works great - just use the AppleTV setting and adjust the picture size.

Some Blu-ray titles have variable frame rates that exceed the 25 fps limit of the ATV, so you have to also force the frame rate to 24 (25) fps.

gkarris
Jul 19, 2009, 08:11 PM
Some Blu-ray titles have variable frame rates that exceed the 25 fps limit of the ATV, so you have to also force the frame rate to 24 (25) fps.

Happen to be on my MacBook now and have Handbrake on it.

I see - AppleTV setting is 720 - but what frame rate do you force it to - 24 or 23.976?

Cave Man
Jul 19, 2009, 08:25 PM
I do all mine at 24 fps for the Apple TV.

gkarris
Jul 19, 2009, 08:29 PM
I do all mine at 24 fps for the Apple TV.

Cool - thanks.

All I have to do now is find a cheap BD-ROM drive/external case combo. I assume a FW drive is better? (I have FW and USB DVD-RW drives and the FW one is much, much better).

Cave Man
Jul 19, 2009, 08:40 PM
Cool - thanks.

All I have to do now is find a cheap BD-ROM drive/external case combo. I assume a FW drive is better? (I have FW and USB DVD-RW drives and the FW one is much, much better).

The drive must have write abilities, even if it's DVD or CD (i.e, Blu-ray ROM, DVD write).

Nermal
Jul 20, 2009, 02:45 AM
I ran The Dark Knight (BR) through and the resulting MKV won't play in VLC (codec error) and heavily drops frames in QuickTime/Perian.

Liar Liar (HD) doesn't work; MakeMKV lists 4 titles but none of them are the movie.

300 (HD) shows 14 titles but none are the movie.

Sin City (BR) is detected correctly but I haven't tried ripping.

Transformers (HD) sits there thinking for a while then gives "Failed to open disc".

Life of Brian (BR) is detected correctly, ripping now...

zedsdead
Jul 20, 2009, 06:17 AM
I ran The Dark Knight (BR) through and the resulting MKV won't play in VLC (codec error) and heavily drops frames in QuickTime/Perian.

Liar Liar (HD) doesn't work; MakeMKV lists 4 titles but none of them are the movie.

300 (HD) shows 14 titles but none are the movie.

Sin City (BR) is detected correctly but I haven't tried ripping.

Transformers (HD) sits there thinking for a while then gives "Failed to open disc".

Life of Brian (BR) is detected correctly, ripping now...

The HD DVD side of the program apparently does not work, and they do not plan on fixing it either.

Have you tried running the Dark Knight through Handbrake?

DoFoT9
Jul 20, 2009, 06:36 AM
i knew you would start a thread on this Cave-Man, any fix for the read only drives yet??

bucksaddle
Jul 20, 2009, 08:35 AM
I ran The Dark Knight (BR) through and the resulting MKV won't play in VLC (codec error)

I think thats because the Video Codec is VC-1 and as far as i am aware VC-1 is supported in VLC only if you have done something funky with FFMEG as well (don't quite understand but the VLC website does detail it)

However I have ripped a couple of my VC-1 Blu-Ray's with MakeMKV and although i get the same error in VLC handbrake quite happily takes it and performs the conversion

Cave Man
Jul 20, 2009, 08:49 AM
I ran...

Can you try running those titles that ripped through Plex or XBMC? They have the best playback algorithms I've seen on the Mac side. VLC has trouble with straight Blu-ray rips, too.

DoFoT9
Jul 20, 2009, 09:38 AM
However I have ripped a couple of my VC-1 Blu-Ray's with MakeMKV and although i get the same error in VLC handbrake quite happily takes it and performs the conversion

thats a bummer but, because a lot of people wouldnt want to down-convert these movies, especially if they are for their media server..

VC-1 is from M$ right?? typical :p

northy124
Jul 20, 2009, 10:02 AM
The HD DVD side of the program apparently does not work, and they do not plan on fixing it either.
That is quite stupid tbh, I do hope they fix it as I own a few HD DVD's (more than the Blu-ray's I own).

pprior
Jul 20, 2009, 10:37 AM
This is what I've been waiting for.

Please post if you have an external (FW) burner that works.

If I can put a BR disk in, rip it, and then transcode to MKV with Handbrake, put it into the ATV and play 720p then I'm buying one today!

zedsdead
Jul 20, 2009, 10:57 AM
That is quite stupid tbh, I do hope they fix it as I own a few HD DVD's (more than the Blu-ray's I own).

I hope so too.

MovieCutter
Jul 20, 2009, 11:32 AM
This made my frakkin day! Thanks CaveMan!!!

REK
Jul 20, 2009, 12:20 PM
This is what I've been waiting for.

Please post if you have an external (FW) burner that works.

Agreed, great work guys, can you please post your drives hubs ect. so that we can get a general idea of what is confirmed to work.
What i'm getting now is all it needs is any type of disc burning. Any known limitation on the connections? I'm guessing usb works, what about firewire, esata?
Newegg has some good deals on drives for a little under $100. But i'de like to know its going to work with my mac before spending that much.

uraniumwilly
Jul 20, 2009, 01:06 PM
Agreed, great work guys, can you please post your drives hubs ect. so that we can get a general idea of what is confirmed to work.
What i'm getting now is all it needs is any type of disc burning. Any known limitation on the connections? I'm guessing usb works, what about firewire, esata?
Newegg has some good deals on drives for a little under $100. But i'de like to know its going to work with my mac before spending that much.

First, heartfelt thanks to all who have stayed on top of this technology. Next, REK: "any type of disc burning..." it's my understanding that anyone who uses this rip software will need a blu-ray disc drive. Is your point that the blu-ray drive is a burner?

Cave Man
Jul 20, 2009, 01:14 PM
This US$120 LG drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136162&Tpk=CH08LS10) is reported to work by someone in the Plex forums. It has:

Blu-ray Read only
DVD Burning
CD Burning

jmpg
Jul 20, 2009, 01:16 PM
I mentioned ealier in this thread the LG B06LU10 works well. It's USB and I have it plugged directly into my iMac dual core (not using a hub).

MakeMKV rips the blu-ray directly to an MKV file. You can then use handbrake to encode for AppleTV. For some movies you will still need to covert the DTS sound to AC3 to maintain surround sound.

pprior
Jul 20, 2009, 02:00 PM
For some movies you will still need to covert the DTS sound to AC3 to maintain surround sound.

Is that something HB will do, or something that another bit of software is needed for?

I've waited personally until 1 or at most 2 pieces of software is needed to do this. I can handle ripping to a temp directory and then HB encodes, but more than that with looking for large files and demuxing and all that and my head starts to swim.....

Nermal
Jul 20, 2009, 02:24 PM

Have you tried running the Dark Knight through Handbrake?

If it doesn't work then the website shouldn't advertise it as a feature! I have not tried running it through Handbrake; I didn't buy high-def movies so that I could downconvert them ;)

Can you try running those titles that ripped through Plex or XBMC? They have the best playback algorithms I've seen on the Mac side. VLC has trouble with straight Blu-ray rips, too.

Plex appears to work. Is there a way to get the Plex codecs into a "normal" player? Or some way to set it up so that double-clicking an MKV in Finder will get Plex to play it directly?

I'm using an LG GGW-H20L (SATA).

jmpg
Jul 20, 2009, 02:42 PM
Is that something HB will do, or something that another bit of software is needed for?

I've waited personally until 1 or at most 2 pieces of software is needed to do this. I can handle ripping to a temp directory and then HB encodes, but more than that with looking for large files and demuxing and all that and my head starts to swim.....

Look on google for mkvdts2ac3.sh. You should be able to find a couple tutorials. You can convert the dts to ac3 and add it back into your MKV (all on a Mac) before converting for AppleTV in Handbrake.

pprior
Jul 20, 2009, 03:41 PM
<--- head starting to swim....

Michael CM1
Jul 20, 2009, 03:58 PM
I just want to get these in DVD quality (720x480) so I can use them on my computer or iPhone. Are any of you guys trying to go for that type of quality, or is it all HD you're going for?

One of these days, maybe the video industries will realize that most of us just want to duplicate it for personal use just like people rip CDs in iTunes. All the copyrighting does is keep legit users from doing this stuff, because the black market people will find a way around any copy protection.

Cave Man
Jul 20, 2009, 04:07 PM
Plex appears to work. Is there a way to get the Plex codecs into a "normal" player? Or some way to set it up so that double-clicking an MKV in Finder will get Plex to play it directly?

Try MPEG Streamclip. It uses ffmpeg just like Plex.

I just want to get these in DVD quality (720x480) so I can use them on my computer or iPhone. Are any of you guys trying to go for that type of quality, or is it all HD you're going for?

Yes, just pass it through Handbrake and use one of the presets depending on your target device.

TK2K
Jul 20, 2009, 04:11 PM
The real question is when will native playback start appearing

zedsdead
Jul 20, 2009, 04:13 PM
Try MPEG Streamclip. It uses ffmpeg just like Plex.

Yes, just pass it through Handbrake and use one of the presets depending on your target device.

I agree. For SD, Handbrake already has an almost perfect solution.

geoffreak
Jul 20, 2009, 04:17 PM
Cave Man, you say that Plex uses ffmpeg, but there must be more to it because I can play certain videos with Plex that I can't with generic build of ffmpeg.

This is great news though. I might finally make the move to BD :D

northy124
Jul 20, 2009, 04:23 PM
If it doesn't work then the website shouldn't advertise it as a feature!
Windows has had more luck than the OS X side with HD DVD ;)

jmpg
Jul 20, 2009, 04:25 PM
<--- head starting to swim....

I realize using mkvdts2ac3.sh isn't a great solution for the masses. Just FYI - roughly half of my blu-rays I've been able to use MakeMKV and go directly to handbrake using ac3 passthrough. You could still do that for MKV's that only have DTS sound if you're okay with DPLII sound.

Hopefully someday AppleTV will allow DTS passthrough. I wouldn't mind skipping that step myself.

Superman07
Jul 20, 2009, 06:53 PM
So the 3GS won't support these in their native bit rate and resolution? I know the specs are the same as the 1g/3G, but I was hoping it was a 'hidden' feature since other or forthcoming devices (e.g. Zune HD) will be able to play back HD content. Bummer.

JonHimself
Jul 20, 2009, 08:10 PM
Any enclosure recommendations for that LG drive (or any)? I'd love you be able to back-up my blu rays with my mbp... then I can ditch the ps3 and just use the apple tv.

donster28
Jul 20, 2009, 08:19 PM
Any enclosure recommendations for that LG drive (or any)? I'd love you be able to back-up my blu rays with my mbp... then I can ditch the ps3 and just use the apple tv.

I have this enclosing my LG GGW-H20L and it works great! I have it connected via USB to my 13" MBP. It's not the most slim enclosure but it's built like a tank. And it's not that heavy either.

http://www.vantecusa.com/system/application/images/product/nst-530s2-12.jpg

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/293

I had it for about 6 months now in the hopes that it'll be useful one day. And the day had come! Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

Cave Man
Jul 20, 2009, 08:19 PM

I have this Vantec USB2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392021)enclosure but this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145064) has USB2 and FW400. Either should work.

JonHimself
Jul 20, 2009, 08:24 PM
Great suggestions guys! Thanks. I was looking on CanadaComputers.com (there's one near me) but had no idea what I was looking for... 5.25" enclosure.

Hopefully I'll be able to try this out tomorrow and can report back.

CaveMan.. is the ROM compatibility problem only a problem if there is no writing (cd, dvd or bd)? That's how I interpreted your previous post... as long as the drive writes SOMETHING then it will work (ie the above-mentioned LG).

Cave Man
Jul 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
CaveMan.. is the ROM compatibility problem only a problem if there is no writing (cd, dvd or bd)? That's how I interpreted your previous post... as long as the drive writes SOMETHING then it will work (ie the above-mentioned LG).

That's what the support page at MakeMKV. The drive has to write something, even if it's just a CD or DVD burner and only a Blu-ray ROM drive. My problem is my drive reads Blu-ray, DVD and CD discs, but does not write to any of them.

donster28
Jul 20, 2009, 08:38 PM
Great suggestions guys! Thanks. I was looking on CanadaComputers.com (there's one near me) but had no idea what I was looking for... 5.25" enclosure.

Hopefully I'll be able to try this out tomorrow and can report back.

That's where I got mine (Canada Computers). They should still have them and yes, look for the 5.25" enclosure. The more connection options the better.

And yes the LG GGW H20L (supports Bluray and HD-DVD) player and recorder WILL WORK! I've done my encoding to MKV today with great success. It took about 50 minutes on my new MBP 13". Handbrake on the other hand took 6 hours to encode to an Apple TV mp4 file (720p).

AliensAreFuzzy
Jul 20, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm still having issues with the .dmg download being corrupted. Anyone have an alternate source?

xxBURT0Nxx
Jul 20, 2009, 10:18 PM
for those looking for a bluray drive, this seems to be the cheapest I have found:

http://3btech.net/paujblbdredv.html

of course you would still need an enclosure!

-edit-

here seems to be a cheap enclosure with usb/fw:

http://3btech.net/chaliefi3had.html

So you could get a bluray drive for >$100 it seems

Nermal
Jul 20, 2009, 11:26 PM
Plex appears to work.

Well, that'll teach me for not actually trying to watch the film. I just started up Life of Brian in Plex and it plays too fast... maybe 1.5x the correct speed.

REK
Jul 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
Next, REK: "any type of disc burning..." it's my understanding that anyone who uses this rip software will need a blu-ray disc drive. Is your point that the blu-ray drive is a burner?

This is what I meant.

That's what the support page at MakeMKV. The drive has to write something, even if it's just a CD or DVD burner and only a Blu-ray ROM drive. My problem is my drive reads Blu-ray, DVD and CD discs, but does not write to any of them.

So the ripper can read from the blu-ray while in OSX.

On another note, after going through makemkv what is the quality of the remaining file? I would think its compressed a little but how much. Just curious if say I wanted to keep a back up of the blu-ray disc, as close to original as possible, and then encode to other formats from it for itunes. Later on I could possibly burn the original makemkv file back to blu-ray and get close to original quality? (of course, minus menus and such)

TuckBodi
Jul 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
for those looking for a bluray drive, this seems to be the cheapest I have found:

http://3btech.net/paujblbdredv.html

of course you would still need an enclosure!

-edit-

here seems to be a cheap enclosure with usb/fw:

http://3btech.net/chaliefi3had.html

So you could get a bluray drive for >$100 it seems

Go for it and let us know if it works. Saving $50 bucks versus the alternative got my attention.

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 12:57 AM
On another note, after going through makemkv what is the quality of the remaining file? I would think its compressed a little but how much.

It appears that Make MKV simply repackages the video and audio into an MKV container (from an m2ts container). If the disc has HD audio, then the compressed cores are extracted prior to repackaging. This means no loss of the original video quality. If it were reencoding, it'd take a lot longer than 40-50 minutes to complete on a Core 2 Duo computer.

Go for it and let us know if it works. Saving $50 bucks versus the alternative got my attention.

I'm not too sure about putting a notebook drive in such an enclosure. It will likely require a cable adapter (40 pin desktop IDE to 50 pin notebook IDE).

PsychoSid
Jul 21, 2009, 03:44 AM
Anyone in the UK recommend a drive to get for a Mac Pro (internal preferred - but the MCE one from jigsaw24 is 's).

I installed Win7 under bootcamp last night to prepare for this with AnyDVD HD as I finished ripping my DVD collection to ATV. So now for the Blu-Rays. Looks like a step I won't have to do...

xxBURT0Nxx
Jul 21, 2009, 08:34 AM
I'm not too sure about putting a notebook drive in such an enclosure. It will likely require a cable adapter (40 pin desktop IDE to 50 pin notebook IDE).

ahh, didn't realize it was a laptop drive... what about this one:

http://www.pcpartsohio.com/BookDetail.aspx?item_id=1122

or do they make enclosures for laptop drives?

davwin
Jul 21, 2009, 08:52 AM
Anyone in the UK recommend a drive to get for a Mac Pro (internal preferred - but the MCE one from jigsaw24 is 's).

I believe the best you can currently find is the LG GGC-H20L (UK version of the GGW I believe). This is a BD ROM/HD-DVD ROM drive with CD & DVD burning capabilities and the US version has been confirmed working with MakeMKV. This drive is 69 at Play.com right now or 79 pretty much everywhere else. PC World even carry this one in-store apparently. A

Since you said you would be installing it internally on your Mac Pro that should be all you need. For others any SATA > USB 2.0/FW 5.25 enclosure should be fine for this drive to use it externally.

PsychoSid
Jul 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
I believe the best you can currently find is the LG GGC-H20L (UK version of the GGW I believe). This is a BD ROM/HD-DVD ROM drive with CD & DVD burning capabilities and the US version has been confirmed working with MakeMKV. This drive is 69 at Play.com right now or 79 pretty much everywhere else. PC World even carry this one in-store apparently. A

Since you said you would be installing it internally on your Mac Pro that should be all you need. For others any SATA > USB 2.0/FW 5.25 enclosure should be fine for this drive to use it externally.

Thanks for that. All 4 disk bays are in use at the moment in the Pro (2006)although one optical bay is free. Not sure I can use a SATA drive so may have to go with an expensive MCE internal or an external. Am I right ?

davwin
Jul 21, 2009, 09:46 AM
At worst PsychoSid, you can still use that same drive in an external drive enclosure via USB 2.0 or FireWire. :)

Oneness
Jul 21, 2009, 10:00 AM
I apoligize for such a noob question but I just want to get this straight in my head.
I can take a Blu-Ray drive with writing capabilities, rip a BR disc using MakeMKV. I will then get a BR quality file in a MKV container that is playable on my Mac Mini Media Server (2.16 ghz Core 2 CPU/2 gb RAM).
Thus I am able to finally enter the HD world without buying a BR disc player, right?

northy124
Jul 21, 2009, 10:02 AM
LG GGC-H20L
At play.com there are 2 different drives, one retail the other bare bones, is there a difference?

REK
Jul 21, 2009, 10:17 AM
At play.com there are 2 different drives, one retail the other bare bones, is there a difference?
Bare drive, sometimes called oem parts or brown box, usually comes with limited accessories.
In this case a reviewer noted that nothing besides the actual drive (no sata cables, not even mounting screws) were included.
Its usually a good deal, sometimes bundled software and accessories are even included, at newegg when you buy oem you get whatever is in the photos, and warranties still apply to the manufacture, but not the company purchased from.

yoak
Jul 21, 2009, 10:36 AM
Excuse my ignorance, But why do you want to play a 1080 blu-ray disk in a compressed 720 format from the apple tv?
Why not just play it off a blu-Ray player?
No one seems to comment on how the quality is from the apple tv, how different is it?
I understand the plus side of being able to get your disks onto the your iPhone etc.

donster28
Jul 21, 2009, 10:40 AM
I apoligize for such a noob question but I just want to get this straight in my head.
I can take a Blu-Ray drive with writing capabilities, rip a BR disc using MakeMKV. I will then get a BR quality file in a MKV container that is playable on my Mac Mini Media Server (2.16 ghz Core 2 CPU/2 gb RAM).
Thus I am able to finally enter the HD world without buying a BR disc player, right?

technically yes or at least that's what we're aiming for.

makemkv still does not do every bluray disc out there, especially ones that have BD+ capabilities (one example is the Fantastic Four 2 Bluray disc), but you can convert at a least a number of them to MKV to start with.

and if you want to use them with your apple tv and want to save around 10gigs of space and still preserving a 720p HD quality video and digital surround, you can convert the MKV to MP4 using handbrake.

nando2323
Jul 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
Excuse my ignorance, But why do you want to play a 1080 blu-ray disk in a compressed 720 format from the apple tv?
No one seems to comment on how the quality is from the apple tv, how different is it?
I understand the plus side of being able to get your disks onto the your iPhone etc.

720p at 5500 kbps for me is superb to say the least. Chicken Little for instance looks unbelievable and that was re-encoded down to 720p from 1080p.

dynaflash
Jul 21, 2009, 10:43 AM
Well, *if* the appletv is your device playback of choice, there is no doubt that a hb encode from 1080p br will look much better than from a standard dvd. Even though the blue ray encode will be scaled down to 720p to fit the atv's specs.

As an example, on the hb forums there is always someone asking how the apple hd movies look so nice even at 720p. Of course the answer is the source they are encoding from. They do not make those from sd dvd's or even 1080p br.

nando2323
Jul 21, 2009, 10:43 AM
I am not sure if someone has asked this question yet but can this program use .iso's created from my PS3 or does it have to have an external drive to work?

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 10:44 AM

Because that's what the Apple TV takes.

Some of us want all our video files on the network so they're accessible by our computers and our Apple TV. We have two desktops (one of which is a home theater Mac with a 1080p projector) and three laptops. All of them can access our HD content by wifi.

On my 40" LCD TV there's no perceptible difference between the original Blu-ray rips and my 720p transcodes. On my 10 foot screen the difference is clear.

yoak
Jul 21, 2009, 10:46 AM
720p at 5500 kbps for me is superb to say the least. Chicken Little for instance looks unbelievable and that was re-encoded down to 720p from 1080p.

Hi. thanks for posting.
Edit: and to everyone else that has helped enlighten me

donster28
Jul 21, 2009, 10:48 AM

First, encoding your blurays to your hard drive eliminates the need to pop in the actual disk itself whenever you want to watch the movie. You also have the convenience of having Apple TV organize them neatly as if you are using a jukebox to play music (or iTunes to play music). Mine even has the cover art showing up on Apple TV selection screen.

Second, 720p encodes do not take a lot of space therefore, you can fit a lot in your hard drive. And you know what, that quality is amazingly close to 1080 (heck I don't even notice the diff. on my 32' and 100" screen). Imagine the size diff. from a 25 gig MKV file to a 4gig MP4 Apple TV file. Oh and yes, this is the movie only...no added crap. You can always pop in your BD disc if you want to watch the extra stuff.

sparklesinmotio
Jul 21, 2009, 10:58 AM
So no one has found the plist you need to edit to get a BD-ROM (no burning) working? I can't find a post that says which one you have to edit....

yoak
Jul 21, 2009, 11:07 AM
First, encoding your blurays to your hard drive eliminates the need to pop in the actual disk itself whenever you want to watch the movie. You also have the convenience of having Apple TV organize them neatly as if you are using a jukebox to play music (or iTunes to play music). Mine even has the cover art showing up on Apple TV selection screen.

Second, 720p encodes do not take a lot of space therefore, you can fit a lot in your hard drive. And you know what, that quality is amazingly close to 1080 (heck I don't even notice the diff. on my 32' and 100" screen). Imagine the size diff. from a 25 gig MKV file to a 4gig MP4 Apple TV file. Oh and yes, this is the movie only...no added crap. You can always pop in your BD disc if you want to watch the extra stuff.

You guys make this sound very tempting. What holds me back is the fact that the mac pro is in the editing suite and I would have to use my mbp for encoding. How long would my mbp use for a decoding?

randy98mtu
Jul 21, 2009, 11:09 AM
You guys make this sound very tempting. What holds me back is the fact that the mac pro is in the editing suite and I would have to use my mbp for encoding. How long would my mbp use for a decoding?

I'm holding off to see if the next ATV supports 1080p content before I invest time in encoding. I'm definitely watching this thread with interest though!

REK
Jul 21, 2009, 11:22 AM
makemkv still does not do every bluray disc out there, especially ones that have BD+ capabilities (one example is the Fantastic Four 2 Bluray disc), but you can convert at a least a number of them to MKV to start with.

Is there an easy way of telling which is which? How can we tell what blu-ray has BD+ before just seeing if it works with makemkv or not?

donster28
Jul 21, 2009, 11:33 AM
Just want to give my 2 cents on makemkv on the mac and to help those who are confused on what this thing really does.

Up to now, I've been using Windows to rip my blurays/HD-DVDs to my hard drive, and I play them with TotalMedia Theater. But there are cavetes to this:

1. The blu-ray/HD-DVD rips are big (about 25-50gigs), therefore my 1TB drive can only accomodate an average of about 25 movies.

2. TotalMedia Theater, a Windows only app is buggy as heck. Sometimes it plays sometimes not. I had to resort to re-installing it every time it doesn't want to play. And it always does this after updating itself (which is often).

3. You don't get the convenience of a menu driven interface (like iTunes) without the bugginess.

The good side of things:

This is where my Apple TV comes into play. It will not only let me stay in the Mac realm but it will solve the above mentioned problems for me.

Using makemkv is fast. It re-wrapped my Blu-ray to MKV in about 50 minutes, afterwhich I encode the MKV to an Apple TV friendly file (MP4) with Handbrake for about 5 hours. And that's about it. What do I get?:

1. A 720p copy of my Blu-ray (movie only) with digital surround sound in a smaller size file (about 4 gigs), maintaining the HD quality of my movie.

2. I then copy this to iTunes, give it coverart, fill in the movie info and wala, I have it selectable in Apple TV.

3. All of the above taking only a total of about 6 hours work (on my MBP 13").

Now the bad side (of using makemkv alone):

1. Makemkv does not support BD+ blu-rays and HD-DVDs which I have a lot of in my library.

2. Subtitles seem to be a no show.

3. An issue with DTS which I have not encountered yet.

For all it's worth, Makemkv is still not the 'AnyDVD' alternative on mac. It's still in it's infancy. But it's still usefull for the rest of my blu-ray collection. I just won't put my blu-ray and HD-DVD players aside, I'll still need them for some of my discs.

I am thankfull for it though and I'll probably end up with a good number of my discs on my hard drive utilizing just my Mac for a change.

But the wait is still not over unfortunately for me...

donster28
Jul 21, 2009, 11:37 AM
Is there an easy way of telling which is which? How can we tell what blu-ray has BD+ before just seeing if it works with makemkv or not?

just read the label on the back of the case/cover of the bluray disc. it should say if it's a BD+ disc.

REK
Jul 21, 2009, 11:47 AM
just read the label on the back of the case/cover of the bluray disc. it should say if it's a BD+ disc.
Right but say I wanted to order one and make sure it was not BD+ before I got it.

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 11:48 AM
JUsing makemkv is fast. It transcoded my Blu-ray to MKV in about 50 minutes,

Just to be clear, it does not transcode but instead rewraps the video and audio into an MKV container. Transcoding would be time-consuming (many hours) and lossy on the video. The only modification it does is the extraction of DTS and AC3 cores from the HD audio tracks (if present).

Tilpots
Jul 21, 2009, 12:01 PM
Once you get the mkv file from the disc, what's the best software for playback in mkv? Seems most are then using handbrake to convert it to an AppleTV format.

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 12:10 PM
I would use Plex, especially if it has DTS audio.

donster28
Jul 21, 2009, 12:16 PM
Right but say I wanted to order one and make sure it was not BD+ before I got it.

You can always look at amazon or others for the disc details.

donster28
Jul 21, 2009, 12:17 PM
Just to be clear, it does not transcode but instead rewraps the video and audio into an MKV container. Transcoding would be time-consuming (many hours) and lossy on the video. The only modification it does is the extraction of DTS and AC3 cores from the HD audio tracks (if present).

I was looking for the right word but I guess I picked the wrong one...thanks for the correction Cave Man.

I corrected my OP...thanks again.

donster28
Jul 21, 2009, 12:19 PM
Once you get the mkv file from the disc, what's the best software for playback in mkv? Seems most are then using handbrake to convert it to an AppleTV format.

Quicktime-with the free Perian plug-in (although it will take a few minutes to load the MKV...just the nature of it.)

or

VLC

northy124
Jul 21, 2009, 12:47 PM
Quicktime-with the free Perian plug-in (although it will take a few minutes to load the MKV...just the nature of it.)

or

VLC
Both of which are crap.

Use Plex!

On the BD+ issue, check Blu-ray.com, that site might be able to help ;)

and thanks to whomever it was that explained the difference between Bare Bones and Retail :D

Tilpots
Jul 21, 2009, 02:39 PM
I would use Plex, especially if it has DTS audio.

Use Plex!

Thanks for the Plex suggestions, but will Plex play the menus and bonus materials (not BD+) from the mkv file? Cave Man, you mentioned earlier that Plex did not read Blu-Ray file structures, was this just for the .iso rips the poster was refferring to?

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 02:59 PM
Plex will only read file structures from DVDs, not Blu-rays. There are no apps on the Mac side that can read Blu-ray file structures, only the individual files.

JonHimself
Jul 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
[]

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 04:21 PM
Check the file with Plex or XBMC to make sure the rip worked. If you go one without that and there's a problem, you won't be able to localize the source (i.e., rip or HB). Make sure you download the current HB snapshot - it has substantially better Blu-ray support. You shouldn't need to transcode with HB unless you need a smaller file size of 1080p or if you need to get it to the Apple TV (or other device unable to handle the 1080p content).

nojoka
Jul 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
How about this slim, laptop size, external Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Writer on eBay for $77? Should work, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310152225456

xxBURT0Nxx
Jul 21, 2009, 06:01 PM
How about this slim, laptop size, external Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Writer on eBay for $77? Should work, right?

You will have to find an enclosure for that though, which the cheapest i found was $25. If you look above for my posts, I linked to a standard sized bluray drive for like $85 and then you can get an enclosure for that for like $10, both prices including shipping.

JonHimself
Jul 21, 2009, 08:48 PM
Check the file with Plex or XBMC to make sure the rip worked. If you go one without that and there's a problem, you won't be able to localize the source (i.e., rip or HB). Make sure you download the current HB snapshot - it has substantially better Blu-ray support. You shouldn't need to transcode with HB unless you need a smaller file size of 1080p or if you need to get it to the Apple TV (or other device unable to handle the 1080p content).

Thanks again Cave Man. Unfortunately since the mkv that was created is 28gb so I'm going to need to convert that for a smaller size. What about using VisualHub? Just selecting a bitrate or a filesize? I've converted 1080p and 720p downloaded mkv's before but they're 4-8gb to start, not 28gb like the one I ripped myself. Any other suggestions? Do you keep your rips that big? Any rcommendations? I think VH will make the resolution less than 720 so that might not be an option.

DoFoT9
Jul 21, 2009, 08:50 PM
visual hub is worth a try, has been very reliable for me. the conversion isnt as good generally but still worth a go.

TuckBodi
Jul 21, 2009, 08:56 PM
I'm holding off to see if the next ATV supports 1080p content before I invest time in encoding. I'm definitely watching this thread with interest though!

Or maybe, if the rumors by the hackers are true, the existing :apple:TV gets the capability?

DoFoT9
Jul 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
Or maybe, if the rumors by the hackers are true, the existing :apple:TV gets the capability?

hmm i dont know... is the Pentium M processor in the :appleTV capable of playing it?? (can the GPU help anyway in this?).

did a bit of researching:: found this (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=827952) (post #6) and apparently the :apple:TV can play up to 25mbit mpegs.. pretty darn good.

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately since the mkv that was created is 28gb so I'm going to need to convert that for a smaller size.

1. Download the current Handbrake 2592 snapshot (http://handbrake.fr/?article=snapshot).
2. Open the ripped file and then select the Apple TV Preset.
3. Under the Video tab, change the resolution to 1920 by XXX for 1080p.
4. Change the Format to MKV and the Framerate to 24 fps. It should be set for Constant quality of 60.78%. Video Codec should be H.264.
5. In the Audio tab set Track 1 to AAC and Track 2 to AC3 Passthru or DTS passthru (depending on your Source audio). I only set Track 1 to Passthru and disable Track 2 because I only use Plex for my HD playback, thus I do not need an AAC audio track.
6. Click Start and let it transcode for several hours (my 3.2 gHz quad core hackintosh takes about 5 hours for a 2 hour movie at 1080p).
7. The resulting file for a 2 hour movie should be between 8 and 10 gb.

MKV support in Quicktime is flakey (maybe Perian?) but VLC and Plex play them just fine.

JonHimself
Jul 21, 2009, 09:29 PM
... see guide above...

That's great! I've read so many of your guides and threads so I'll absolutely use that. Now I'm not *that* concerned about maintaining the quality. I'm using the Apple TV and (at this point) don't think I'll ever get a mac mini or comparable set-up as my main device. In the distant future, maybe? For now I'm ok with 720p and dolby surround or dolby prologic for the audio (sorry if that offends you haha).

I use iTunes to manage everything (I've fooled around with Plex and have had XBMC is some variation since I hacked my xbox long ago) so I'll still be using mp4 instead of mkv. I figure from your guide I'll change the resolution to 720 (what would the vertical be? seemed like there were a few vertical resolutions that didn't change the 720 horizontal value), change it to mp4 instead of mkv and then use dolby for the audio. Other than that I'll use the constant quality as you've said, h264 (obviously), and the framerate as you've indicated. Think that should be fine? I might not even change the resolution (ie leave it at 1920)... I'll try it out both ways.

Thanks again, that's incredibly helpful!

Cave Man
Jul 21, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'm using the Apple TV and (at this point) don't think I'll ever get a mac mini or comparable set-up as my main device. In the distant future, maybe? For now I'm ok with 720p and dolby surround or dolby prologic for the audio (sorry if that offends you haha).

For the Apple TV, it's even easier.

1. Click on the Apple TV Preset in Handbrake.
2. Change picture size to 1280 by xxx.
3. Set the Framerate to 24 fps.

Click on the Audio tab. If the Source is DTS 5.1, then your Track 1 should be AAC. If so, disable Track 2. If it's Dolby Digital 5.1, Track 1 should be AAC, Track 2 should be AC3 Passthru. Let 'er transcode.

JonHimself
Jul 21, 2009, 09:59 PM
For the Apple TV, it's even easier.

1. Click on the Apple TV Preset in Handbrake.
2. Change picture size to 1280 by xxx.
3. Set the Framerate to 24 fps.

Click on the Audio tab. If the Source is DTS 5.1, then your Track 1 should be AAC. If so, disable Track 2. If it's Dolby Digital 5.1, Track 1 should be AAC, Track 2 should be AC3 Passthru. Let 'er transcode.

Thank you yet again. You've got to be one of the most helpful people on these boards.

I still had about 7 hours left in Handbrake so I'll cancel it and start again with what you've said. The video that was already converted as an .mp4 looked great! I can't wait to be able to rip my own Blu Rays! Tomorrow I'm heading straight to HMV to buy a bunch of concert BDs!

dynaflash
Jul 22, 2009, 12:59 AM
Two notes on the HB snapshot if I may:

1. *if* you are not worried about reading a protected source right from disk (read: just using preripped sources) try the 64 bit version as its about 10 - 15% faster than 32 bit. The 64 bit version cannot read an encrypted disk as the vlc dylib hb uses for that is 32 bit only.

2. if your audio is dts only as cave says, you have to use aac dpl2 ( no dts pass thru in mp4 and the atv couldn't read it even if hb did it) but the snapshot lets you use the core audio encoder for aac which gives you up to 320 kbps bitrate audio vs. faac's 160 kbps bitrate limit. Which may or may not give you *some* sound improvement and help ease the pain a bit.

DoFoT9
Jul 22, 2009, 01:18 AM

1. *if* you are not worried about reading a protected source right from disk (read: just using preripped sources) try the 64 bit version as its about 10 - 15% faster than 32 bit. The 64 bit version cannot read an encrypted disk as the vlc dylib hb uses for that is 32 bit only.

i take it this 64-bit version of the program will not run on a 32-bit CPU, or it will just run at reduced speeds?

dynaflash
Jul 22, 2009, 01:40 AM
would not run at all without emulation, in which case you would be faster staying with 32 bit native anyway.

DoFoT9
Jul 22, 2009, 03:16 AM
would not run at all without emulation, in which case you would be faster staying with 32 bit native anyway.

ok great thanks.

bucksaddle
Jul 22, 2009, 03:50 AM
Cave man et al, for those of you with ROM only drives have you tried this suggestion from the HandBrake forums:
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9258&start=125

I take no responsibility if it doesn't work and things go a bit wrong :)

Cave Man
Jul 22, 2009, 08:41 AM
Tried it but it did not work. Strangely, I tried posting my results to the Handbrake thread you ref'd, but it does not seem to show up after I posted it. Is that thread restricted?

zedsdead
Jul 22, 2009, 08:47 AM
As much as I might to splurge for a Blu-Ray drive, I think I am going to work until the Apple TV finally gets an update. I really don't want to spend a long time encoding to 720p when it seems like an Apple TV update is on the horizon. 1080p should be coming within the year, so I think I will make the switch once.

bucksaddle
Jul 22, 2009, 08:50 AM
Tried it but it did not work. Strangely, I tried posting my results to the Handbrake thread you ref'd, but it does not seem to show up after I posted it. Is that thread restricted?
Not as far as i am aware.

northy124
Jul 22, 2009, 09:42 AM
1. try the 64 bit version as its about 10 - 15% faster than 32 bit.
10 - 15% wow, gotta try and work out how to compile the 64 bit one :D

On a side note is there a way on OS X to turn DTS to AC3 as there are lots of solutions on Windows but is there anything on OS X?

dynaflash
Jul 22, 2009, 10:02 AM

Just checked Cave. I see you're reply in that thread. Shouldn't be restricted.

TuckBodi
Jul 22, 2009, 10:39 AM
hmm i dont know... is the Pentium M processor in the :appleTV capable of playing it?? (can the GPU help anyway in this?).

did a bit of researching:: found this (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=827952) (post #6) and apparently the :apple:TV can play up to 25mbit mpegs.. pretty darn good.

GPU and VDPAU is my guess

TuckBodi
Jul 22, 2009, 10:44 AM
You will have to find an enclosure for that though, which the cheapest i found was $25. If you look above for my posts, I linked to a standard sized bluray drive for like $85 and then you can get an enclosure for that for like $10, both prices including shipping.

It says "USB 2.0 Slim External Drive" in the name.

Scarpad
Jul 22, 2009, 10:54 AM
I've used this for awhile to make .mkv to play on my Western Digital DVD from Blu Rays, it works fine

dynaflash
Jul 22, 2009, 11:01 AM
The atv does not have the reported Sigma chip. that was FUD. It does of course have the nvidia GeforceGo 7300 w/ 64 mb of ram which is capable of decoding 1080p h.264 ... to some degree. To what extent apple is offloading decoding to that gpu ... hard to tell imho.

Cave Man
Jul 22, 2009, 11:13 AM
Just checked Cave. I see you're reply in that thread. Shouldn't be restricted.

OK, I see it now. Strange it didn't show up right away... Must be a hackintosh thing. :)

JeepGuy
Jul 22, 2009, 11:40 AM

all Fox titles are BD+, and most MGM, there maybe others.

nojoka
Jul 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
Check the link, it has an enclosure. So this for $77 seems like the best deal so far...

Cave Man
Jul 22, 2009, 11:50 AM
Check the link, it has an enclosure. So this for $77 seems like the best deal so far...

That's quite a deal. Have you verified that it works with Macs? Some of the cheap controllers use antiquated chips that sometimes don't work with Macs.

donster28
Jul 22, 2009, 12:36 PM
As much as I might to splurge for a Blu-Ray drive, I think I am going to work until the Apple TV finally gets an update. I really don't want to spend a long time encoding to 720p when it seems like an Apple TV update is on the horizon. 1080p should be coming within the year, so I think I will make the switch once.

For me, 720p is the sweet spot between quality and file size, even if Apple TV gets an update.

I will always have my disks available to pop in if and when I want to watch them in 1080p. Right now, I do not see the difference in resolution a concern, heck, I don't even see a disadvantage when watching a 720p encoded blu-ray/HDDVD on my Apple TV. It just looks amazing on my 1080p tv and projector.

A 720p mp4 file at about 6gigs will leave me plenty of room in my hard drive. Just imagine, a 1TB drive can contain about 150-160 720p movies.

donster28
Jul 22, 2009, 12:41 PM

Sorry to open this again Cave Man but I'm confused. This is straight from the Makemkv site:

MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder".

Who's right?

Cave Man
Jul 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
To me, transcoding is re-encoding the video, which Make MKV doesn't do. It simply extracts the audio and video files from the m2ts container and puts them into an MKV container ("remuxing"). Transcoding is a lossy process (which is what Handbrake does).

northy124
Jul 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
From what I have used of it it seems to be a remuxer, nothing else.

donster28
Jul 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
They should correct their description in their site.

Thanks again.

bucksaddle
Jul 22, 2009, 12:54 PM
For me, 720p is the sweet spot between quality and file size, even if Apple TV gets an update.

I will always have my disks available to pop in if and when I want to watch them in 1080p. Right now, I do not see the difference in resolution a concern, heck, I don't even see a disadvantage when watching a 720p encoded blu-ray/HDDVD on my Apple TV. It just looks amazing on my 1080p tv and projector.

A 720p mp4 file at about 6gigs will leave me plenty of room in my hard drive. Just imagine, a 1TB drive can contain about 150-160 720p movies.

+1. Excellent post

TuckBodi
Jul 22, 2009, 01:15 PM
The atv does not have the reported Sigma chip. that was FUD. It does of course have the nvidia GeforceGo 7300 w/ 64 mb of ram which is capable of decoding 1080p h.264 ... to some degree. To what extent apple is offloading decoding to that gpu ... hard to tell imho.

Yeah, the rumor I heard was from the XBMC side. Guess we'll have to wait and see (rumors are a month or so..).

jmpg
Jul 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
On a side note is there a way on OS X to turn DTS to AC3 as there are lots of solutions on Windows but is there anything on OS X?

This was answered earlier in this thread, but may be difficult to find at this point. You can do it in OSX - try googling "mkvdts2ac3.sh" - it works really well.

geoffreak
Jul 22, 2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry to open this again Cave Man but I'm confused. This is straight from the Makemkv site:

MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder".

Who's right?
To me, transcoding is re-encoding the video, which Make MKV doesn't do. It simply extracts the audio and video files from the m2ts container and puts them into an MKV container ("remuxing"). Transcoding is a lossy process (which is what Handbrake does).
MakeMKV's website is correct, but Cave Man is partially correct too. Re-encoding is always transcoding, but transcoding is not always re-encoding.

In true transcoding, the bitstream format of one file is changed from one to another without its undergoing another complete decoding and encoding process. This usually is possible if the source and target codecs are sufficiently similar. However, support for this process very much depends on the case.

The most popular method of transcoding is to decode the original data to an intermediate format (i.e. PCM for audio or YUV for video), in a way that still contains the content of the original, and then encoding the resulting file into the target format.

I think that "recontainering" would be a better word though ;)

uraniumwilly
Jul 23, 2009, 10:50 AM
Using my newly arrived LG 8X drive and MKV, the bd ripped quick. Sexy quick. Now my 2.4ghz MBP and HB is whimpering under the strain at this 6 frames per second, 11 hour task -- using the higher 1280 pixel setting and the new HB blu-ray version... 2.5 hr movie... I have 2 ghz Imac dual core that I'll set up to do these tasks... maybe I can rip 1 a day. It's all good.

I just checked it and found the time projection has reduced to 10.5 hrs!:D

It will be interesting to see the results on the 52" Samsung.

northy124
Jul 23, 2009, 10:55 AM
This was answered earlier in this thread, but may be difficult to find at this point. You can do it in OSX - try googling "mkvdts2ac3.sh" - it works really well.
Cool thank you :)

donster28
Jul 23, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just curious, will the Turbo HD dongle help speed up my conversion from MKV to Apple TV?

mmoran27
Jul 23, 2009, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know why it is taking overnight to do this?

donster28
Jul 23, 2009, 01:31 PM

What are you ripping (DVD or Blu-ray?) and what programs have you used?

northy124
Jul 23, 2009, 01:33 PM
Doesn't Watchmen have BD+?

kevinbal
Jul 23, 2009, 07:50 PM
Well, I picked up the Sony BC-5100S drive and the Vantec enclosure listed above from newegg and it arrived today. Set up everything and it was instantly recognized in OS X.

I fired up makemkv and after fumbling around with the interface for a bit, I ripped Matrix and Matrix reloaded without an issues, both took just under an hour for the main title only and the Dolby Digital track, no sub titles, extra features. I remuxxed them using tsmuxer in to m2ts files and over night I'll encode them with the latest svn of handbrake. I was having video issues bringing the straight mkv video into handbrake, so the m2ts file seemed to work a lot better. It only adds an extra 5 minutes to the workflow.

So far, I like what I am seeing... I tried figuring out the blu-ray thing on the windows side, and anydvd trial just wasn't cooperating like it was for my 360 hd-dvd player.

I'll post the results of the handbrake encodes and playback on the appletv tomorrow at some point.

TuckBodi
Jul 23, 2009, 08:37 PM
Just curious, will the Turbo HD dongle help speed up my conversion from MKV to Apple TV?

If the Turbo HD is anything like the original Turbo.264 then GOOD LUCK! The T.264 was the biggest piece of junk I ever bought and Elgato constantly lied about its faults to avoid having to give any money back. I'd avoid it...

glowrider
Jul 23, 2009, 08:37 PM
After you rip the BR disc, can you re-burn onto another BR disc for backup? I just don't have the space on my hard drives for that kind of backup...I want to make a 1:1 duplicate, menus, audio streams, etc.

I want to make sure those $40 movies don't get ruined by a scratch or something...Not really interested in re-encoding for ATV...

mmoran27
Jul 23, 2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry guys but it finally finished and there is only audio.

It complains about some missing codecs. Took like 24 hours

mmoran27
Jul 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
It is ripping at .2x.

What is wrong here? I am running latest firmware.

It takes like 24 hours to rip. What us wrong?

kevinbal
Jul 23, 2009, 11:12 PM
It is ripping at .2x.

What is wrong here? I am running latest firmware.

It takes like 24 hours to rip. What us wrong?

Are you plugged into a usb hub? Is it USB 1.1?

I'm plugged directly into the back of my iMac, usb 2.0, rip at 2x on my 5x drive.

PsychoSid
Jul 24, 2009, 02:01 AM
Folks,

What is the success rate that you are seeing with this admittedly beta/early program.

I have about 50 BD disks to go through and thought I would start with the kids first (these are all UK).

Star Wars - Clone Wars (failed to find and decent tracks or length - might be the way it's placed on the disk)
Cars - Worked fine and moved to 720p in HB svn build for the ATV
The Polar Express - Failed to write track ???
Transformers (animated) - Left ripping and went to work.

So potentially a 50% success rate so far. Do I need to think about getting a Win7/AnyDVD-HD boot camp setup for the failures ?

Cheers
Paul

kevinbal
Jul 24, 2009, 09:05 AM
Just a follow up, both Matrix and Matrix Reloaded encoded properly and imported into iTunes just fine. I used the default AppleTV preset on handbrake and bumped up the resolution to around 1200 x whatever (500-something, I think). The AC3 file passed thru correctly and I have perfectly synced Dolby Digital when played back on the AppleTV in the living room.

Assuming this works a decent number of Blu-ray discs (and it can only get better), I think we have a winner here for staying entirely in OS X.

northy124
Jul 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
1200 x whatever (500-something, I think).
1280*544 ;)

donster28
Jul 24, 2009, 10:44 AM
After you rip the BR disc, can you re-burn onto another BR disc for backup? I just don't have the space on my hard drives for that kind of backup...I want to make a 1:1 duplicate, menus, audio streams, etc.

I want to make sure those $40 movies don't get ruined by a scratch or something...Not really interested in re-encoding for ATV...

let me ask why you would want another 1:1 bluray disc when bluray discs are almost scratch proof? wouldn't this be redundant?

ripping the movie makes sense, this way you can watch the movie from your hard drive without using your bluray disk, tucked away in safety.

a 1:1 copy of a bluray to another recordable bluray will cost you a pretty penny considering a blank bdr 50gigger is around $40-60. a work around to this is ripping the movie only to AVCHD which you can fit a blank DVD and play as a hidef disk on your PS3. i tried this and it took me 24-40hrs to transcode to AVCHD in windows using bdrebuilder.

plus, ripping the movie only in 720p (appletv format mp4) will only take about 6gigs per movie. this comes up to about 160 high definition movies in a 1TB hard drive that costs peanuts.

donster28
Jul 24, 2009, 10:46 AM
1280*544 ;)

technically, the no. next to 1280 should be 720 (hence 720p). but for some reason, some discs show up with a lower number after opening them in handbrake. but you should still get a good resolution with the lower number.

zedsdead
Jul 24, 2009, 12:02 PM
technically, the no. next to 1280 should be 720 (hence 720p). but for some reason, some discs show up with a lower number after opening them in handbrake. but you should still get a good resolution with the lower number.

The Second number is the vertical resolution. If a movie is encoded in 2.4:1, as many movies are, the vertical resolution would be 544, not 720 (which is the resolution for 16:9).

northy124
Jul 24, 2009, 12:18 PM
Technically, the yes. See above reply. Might I also suggest you read up on Aspect Ratios ;)

uraniumwilly
Jul 24, 2009, 12:46 PM
Crushing the ripped BD file with HB for ATV (using Caveman's settings recommendations) I noticed some stuttering as I first watched it, streaming, for the first time. It's possible it was caused by the largess of streaming. I'm going to pipe it over to the ATV drive and check it's performance sans the stream. There was some pixelation in the most glorious shots of such things as a wide-angle of thousands of birds in flight, et.. Otherwise it was a fairly jaw droppingly beautiful rip.

The audio was AC-3 and was problematic using the built-in TV's audio, as opposed to the amplifier and surround system, which will be tested today.

The pixelation and any BD flaws from ripping is something I'm hopeful will be fixed. I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort of ripping with such results. That's not a complaint or anything. YMMV.

donster28
Jul 24, 2009, 12:55 PM
Crushing the ripped BD file with HB for ATV (using Caveman's settings recommendations) I noticed some stuttering as I first watched it, streaming, for the first time. It's possible it was caused by the largess of streaming. I'm going to pipe it over to the ATV drive and check it's performance sans the stream. There was some pixelation in the most glorious shots of such things as a wide-angle of thousands of birds in flight, et.. Otherwise it was a fairly jaw droppingly beautiful rip.

The audio was AC-3 and was problematic using the built-in TV's audio, as opposed to the amplifier and surround system, which will be tested today.

The pixelation and any BD flaws from ripping is something I'm hopeful will be fixed. I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort of ripping with such results. That's not a complaint or anything. YMMV.

i do not notice any pixelations on my appletv compatible rips so far. the only gripe i found is the slightly poor quality of the 'graydation' (from light to dark colour) that i found in a scene from 'ratatoullie' (i hope i spelled that right). i am seeing banding. a slight increase in the bit rate might fix this. otherwise, all of my other rips are gorgeous with no noticeable artifacting.

my apple tv streaming is flawless with no stuttering. i am running a wirelss N network.

the sound on mine throught the tv is normal as well the AC3 output through my surround system. it sounds good and proper to my ears.

i suggest you check your system specs and upgrade from there. from what i can see, the problems you're having are system related.

uraniumwilly
Jul 24, 2009, 01:46 PM
" i do not notice any pixelations on my appletv compatible rips so far."

I'm happy to hear of that. Did you do 1920?

"i suggest you check your system specs and upgrade from there. from what i can see, the problems you're having are system related."

I definitely will. I'll re-examine my settings and redo the Handbrake. Maybe the system problems lie in some minor config. Thanks for responding.

aidym
Jul 24, 2009, 03:17 PM
Well, after reading this thread I got very excited and bought an LG GGW-H20L, fitted it into my Mac Pro and connected it to the ODD-SATA. I was then left with the tough decision of what films to buy to test this on, so I opted for a coule of golden oldies - The Italian Job and Ghostbusters :D

I started with The Italian Job by ripping it with makemkv which produced a file of approx. 18.6GB. I then used the latest svn of handbrake (with the settings recommended by Cave Man in the Blu-Ray to Apple TV thread), and the quality is excellent. The file produced by handbrake was approx. 2.9GB. However, the first 1-2 mins of the film are missing and the same at the end :confused:. I opened the MKV in VLC and it is the same there. Is it possible that the start and end of the film are in different titles? And if so is this a common thing on Blu-Ray discs?

I then proceeded to rip Ghostbusters. Again, makemkv produced a file of approx. 18GB. I then used Handbrake, with the same settings used previously, only this time it produced a file of approx. 5.7GB which wont sync with the appletv. To make sure I hadn't messed things up I redid the hole process but still had the same result. Is there a limit on the size of file that can be synced with the appletv? Also, If you have two MKV's of similar size, wouldn't you expect the output of handbrake to be similar in size (assuming you used the same settings)?

Cheers,
Adrian

northy124
Jul 24, 2009, 03:23 PM
it produced and file of approx. 5.7GB which wont sync with the appletv
You need to click large size for films that are over 4GB (I found this out the hard way :( )

Oh and most Blu-ray's I have ripped the feature is one whole thing and not on anything else, I think maybe MakeMKV has an issue.

aidym
Jul 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
You need to click large size for films that are over 4GB (I found this out the hard way :( )

Oh and most Blu-ray's I have ripped the feature is one whole thing and not on anything else, I think maybe MakeMKV has an issue.

I used the AppleTV preset so by default the 'Large file size' option is already selected.

northy124
Jul 24, 2009, 03:28 PM
I used the AppleTV preset so by default the 'Large file size' option is already selected.
Are you sure? as I am just tried the preset and it isn't unless this is a different preset.

aidym
Jul 24, 2009, 03:32 PM
Are you sure? as I am just tried the preset and it isn't unless this is a different preset.

Yep, As soon as I select the AppleTV preset the option is checked. I am using the latest svn of handbrake if that makes any difference?

northy124
Jul 24, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yep, As soon as I select the AppleTV preset the option is checked. I am using the latest svn of handbrake if that makes any difference?
Just rechecked and it does lol, IDK then tbh.

aidym
Jul 24, 2009, 03:39 PM
Just rechecked and it does lol, IDK then tbh.

OK, no probs. Thanks for your help anyway.

donster28
Jul 24, 2009, 04:13 PM
" i do not notice any pixelations on my appletv compatible rips so far."

I'm happy to hear of that. Did you do 1920?

"i suggest you check your system specs and upgrade from there. from what i can see, the problems you're having are system related."

I definitely will. I'll re-examine my settings and redo the Handbrake. Maybe the system problems lie in some minor config. Thanks for responding.

i only do 720p (appletv does not support 1920 at the present time)

your welcome...glad i can help. :)

mmoran27
Jul 24, 2009, 04:27 PM
Maybe an issue with my drive?

It is a couple years old.

mmoran27
Jul 25, 2009, 11:34 PM
I picked up the buffalo BD burner. It is supposed to be 8x

I am ripping a disc and it looks like it will take about an hour or so.

Curious that the read speed is 2X?

Is that the max for this program? I thought my drive was 8x.

Anyway although the Watchmen took 24 hours with my previous drive the file actually plays back just fine in Plex!.

VLC craps on it and says it is missing codecs or something.

Let me know what you think. Watchmen says it is BD-Live. Isn't that BD+? It worked nonetheless.

aygie
Jul 26, 2009, 08:23 AM
Let me know what you think. Watchmen says it is BD-Live. Isn't that BD+? It worked nonetheless.

BD+ is protection, BD-Live is an extra feature (connect to the net to download extras) :)

bigvic
Jul 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hi All,

I have tried to follow all advice given in previous posts but to no avail,

I have the following Pioneer BDC-202 with USB JMicron 20336 as per Bucksaddle.

I am using a iMac 2.16Ghz Intel Core.

I have tried main title selected and all titles. It gets to about 2gb and fails, below is what was in the dialog box:

Prior

Using direct disc access mode
File 00000.mpls was added as title #0
File 00021.mpls was added as title #1
File 00063.mpls was added as title #2
Title 00045.mpls is equal to title 00021.mpls and was skipped
File 00056.mpls was added as title #3
File 00025.m2ts was added as title #4
Title #00027.m2ts has length of 115 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00029.m2ts was added as title #5
File 00030.m2ts was added as title #6
File 00031.m2ts was added as title #7
File 00032.m2ts was added as title #8
File 00033.m2ts was added as title #9
File 00034.m2ts was added as title #10
File 00035.m2ts was added as title #11
Title #00038.m2ts has length of 110 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00039.m2ts has length of 17 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00079.m2ts was added as title #12
Title #00080.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00081.m2ts has length of 96 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00082.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00083.m2ts was added as title #13
Title #00084.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00073.m2ts has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /Volumes/VIDEO HD

After (as above with the following)

Read error. File="<n/a>" Info=""
Failed to save title 3 to file /Volumes/VIDEO HD/title03.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

I have even tried saving direct to main HDD and still no luck.

Titles Tried

Transformers
Cars
Ghost Rider
The Rock

More Info
Drive Information
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-ROM BDC-202
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: GEDL000699WL
Firmware details: intf=SAT gen=1003 krnl=ID58 main=ID58 ver=0001
Firmware date: 2008-01-10

Disc Information
Data capacity: 36.15 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

Could anyone please help me?

Regards

Bigvic

kevinbal
Jul 27, 2009, 03:50 PM
Well, almost every BD that I've ripped (0 failures so far), title 0 has been the main feature. I haven't done a single 'full disc' rip, but rather just the main feature and audio track, I'm not going to use the rest for Handbrake encodes, so why waste the time/space?

Are you trying to do a full disc rip or just the main feature?

bigvic
Jul 27, 2009, 04:09 PM
Well, almost every BD that I've ripped (0 failures so far), title 0 has been the main feature. I haven't done a single 'full disc' rip, but rather just the main feature and audio track, I'm not going to use the rest for Handbrake encodes, so why waste the time/space?

Are you trying to do a full disc rip or just the main feature?

Hi Kevinbal,

From what i think i have tried is both, i select the main title which is the largest and de-select the rest and still get the same error:confused:

nojoka
Jul 27, 2009, 04:09 PM
Just ordered one of these external drives from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250468867331

Says Mac compatible so hopefully it will work. Only 2x read speed but is a notebook sized external drive and cheap which I like. I will let you guys know if it works!

kevinbal
Jul 27, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Kevinbal,

From what i think i have tried is both, i select the main title which is the largest and de-select the rest and still get the same error:confused:

Hrm, interesting. Well, for starters, if you can boot into windows (or access a windows machine with that drive), try giving the firmware update a go. It looks like the most recent firmware for that drive is 1.07, you are using 1.04.

Aside from that, I've always just saved everything to the desktop and the moved/edited it from there. I'll post a screenshot of my program right before I click the magic button for you in a bit.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/kevinbal/makemkv.jpg

bigvic
Jul 28, 2009, 02:35 AM
Hrm, interesting. Well, for starters, if you can boot into windows (or access a windows machine with that drive), try giving the firmware update a go. It looks like the most recent firmware for that drive is 1.07, you are using 1.04.

Aside from that, I've always just saved everything to the desktop and the moved/edited it from there. I'll post a screenshot of my program right before I click the magic button for you in a bit.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/kevinbal/makemkv.jpg

I will update the drive later, at work now.

Thanks Vic

bigvic
Jul 28, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ok, i have updated the firmware but...

It failed again this time i got further than before time remaining is 1h25 it got to 40min then stopped.

Any one have any ideas what it could be?

Rich1963
Jul 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
Do you have adequate drive space?

TxP
Jul 29, 2009, 11:47 PM
Just ordered one of these external drives from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250468867331

Says Mac compatible so hopefully it will work. Only 2x read speed but is a notebook sized external drive and cheap which I like. I will let you guys know if it works!

I got the same drive, MakeMKV detects it right away and I was able to rip no problem.

pprior
Jul 30, 2009, 07:50 AM
Just ordered that drive, will report when I get it.

<-- excited to finally get to see blu-ray on my ATV!

nojoka
Jul 30, 2009, 12:43 PM
I got the same drive, MakeMKV detects it right away and I was able to rip no problem.

Awesome, Thanks. Mine is suppose to come via Fedex today but I won't be home so not sure when I will be able to get it.

forthehandyman
Jul 30, 2009, 04:54 PM

2. if your audio is dts only as cave says, you have to use aac dpl2 ( no dts pass thru in mp4 and the atv couldn't read it even if hb did it) but the snapshot lets you use the core audio encoder for aac which gives you up to 320 kbps bitrate audio vs. faac's 160 kbps bitrate limit. Which may or may not give you *some* sound improvement and help ease the pain a bit.

An added note for the 64 bit Handbrake snapshot. If you download the 64 bit version of VLC 1.0 RC4, the 64 bit Handbrake snapshot will read encrypted DVDs. It will still give you the same message that the 64 bit version of Handbrake can't read encrypted DVDs, but it always has read the DVDs I've tried when I use the 64 bit version of VLC 1.0 RC4. The only downside is that VLC 1.0 RC4 is buggy. It crashes every time on exit (a known and documented issue), and if you mess around with VLC and exit it when a Handbrake encode is running, the resultant file will often times either be corrupt or have some sort of audio or video issues. I will also occasionally get a file that has a loud audio "pop" at the beginning of the movie, but the rest of the movie will play just fine.

All bugginess aside, this configuration has resulted in most of the files I've ripped being absolutely flawless. So while it doesn't result in a perfect rip every time, it does rip the movies that much faster. Who knows, the errors I get from time to time could be the result of operator error too...

JEFF

dynaflash
Jul 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
Yes, there was a rc 64 bit vlc. I was all set to pull the 64 bit warning from hb, but then they did not extend the 64 bit vlc to rev 1.0. So I left it. You are correct that using the rc version of vlc will allow hb 64 bit to read encrypted dvd's if you override the warning as you indicated.

forthehandyman
Jul 30, 2009, 06:36 PM
Yes, there was a rc 64 bit vlc. I was all set to pull the 64 bit warning from hb, but then they did not extend the 64 bit vlc to rev 1.0. So I left it. You are correct that using the rc version of vlc will allow hb 64 bit to read encrypted dvd's if you override the warning as you indicated.

Yes, from what I read on the videolan forums, they didn't release a 64 bit vlc 1.0 because they had no idea why VLC 64 bit crashed every time on exit. I don't think it will be too long before they figure it out and get an official 64 bit release of VLC out.

I completely understand not removing the warning on your part from Handbrake. I was just simply pointing out that there currently is a way to get the 64 bit version of Handbrake to work with encrypted DVDs, even if the solution is still a little buggy at this time...

JEFF

davwin
Aug 3, 2009, 07:02 AM
Received my LG GGC-H20L drive today but, the external enclosure is still nowhere to be seen :/ Will try a SATA to USB 2.0 cable to at least hook it up and see if it registers correctly under OSX etc...

Anyone have any experience using a SATA>USB cable to do this; meaning hooking the cable up to an internal CD/DVD drive without the enclosure itself?

Cave Man
Aug 3, 2009, 08:28 AM
If you give it power and connect it by USB it ought to work.

davwin
Aug 3, 2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks - you were right, it just needed direct power but it worked fine this way :)

davwin
Aug 3, 2009, 01:04 PM
The LG GGC-H20L is working fine under OSX so far... Pulled Pans Labyrinth in about 45min and it played beautifully in Plex on first try - still need to mess with the audio tracks though. Awesomeness :)

Cave Man
Aug 3, 2009, 01:27 PM
Pulled Pans Labyrinth in about 45min and it played beautifully in Plex on first try - still need to mess with the audio tracks though. Awesomeness :)

I take it, PL doesn't have an English audio track? Pulling subs is pretty difficult from Blu-rays.

davwin
Aug 3, 2009, 01:49 PM
No - I have the import disc so no English audio but a Spanish DTS-MA track and I need subs too :/ not the easiest disc to start with I know... heheh

Cave Man
Aug 3, 2009, 02:04 PM
No - I have the import disc so no English audio but a Spanish DTS-MA track and I need subs too :/ not the easiest disc to start with I know... heheh

I thought all of them were Spanish-only. Is that not correct?

davwin
Aug 3, 2009, 02:08 PM
You know I'm not sure - I thought only the UK disc was Spanish DTS-MA with no English track but maybe they are all like that... Regardless, I should have started with a different disc but I also wanted to verify multi-region compatibility :)

northy124
Aug 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
Pans Labyrinth is Spanish, it was made in Spain and they speak in Spanish, all are Spanish.

waffles123
Aug 3, 2009, 04:58 PM
If I pop in a blu-ray and create an MKV from it, can I just go ahead and play it in Plex? Do I need to convert it or something? And what external BD drives do you guys recommend? Thanks

Cave Man
Aug 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
Should play just fine. In my experience, h.264 (AVC) and MPEG-2 rips play just fine and most (but not all) VC-1 rips play fine.

METOO999
Aug 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
So can you rip a BD into MKV, and run the MKV through MKV2VOB and play it on a hard drive on the PS3, or would the program have to transcode it (which would take forever)?

DoFoT9
Aug 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
So can you rip a BD into MKV, and run the MKV through MKV2VOB and play it on a hard drive on the PS3, or would the program have to transcode it (which would take forever)?

no i dont think that would work, PS3 only supports a max file size of 4GB..

METOO999
Aug 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
no i dont think that would work, PS3 only supports a max file size of 4GB..

MKV2VOB has an option to split for FAT32, you'd just have a lot of 4 GB files. The PS3 can play files sequentially, so you'd only have a little hiccup between files every so often.

DoFoT9
Aug 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
MKV2VOB has an option to split for FAT32.

in that case it would be fine! :) i wasnt aware of that sorry.

davwin
Aug 4, 2009, 11:46 AM
Pulled Forgetting Sarah Marshall this afternoon - nothing but a direct pull from MakeMKV and it played beautifully in Plex. DTS audio in 5.1 and the movie was only 12GB for the director's cut with audio so not bad at all. :)

Dapness
Aug 4, 2009, 02:31 PM
Does anyone see any reason why this drive wouldn't work if I slapped it in my '08 Mac Pro??

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/GGCH20LMPLS/

pilotError
Aug 4, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have an LG BD-Rom on my Hackintosh. I pulled Pirates of the Carribean off just to try it out.

No real issues, grabbed the movie and the extras as well as the trailers.

Works pretty well!

sven-
Aug 4, 2009, 07:06 PM
Does anyone see any reason why this drive wouldn't work if I slapped it in my '08 Mac Pro??

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/GGCH20LMPLS/
The Mac Pro early 2008 uses IDE for the optical drive. I believe this S-ATA drive that you show won't work, unless you use one of the HD S-ATA connectors, or of course, one of those S-ATA to USB/FW cases.

davwin
Aug 5, 2009, 03:46 AM
A pic of the LG GGC-H20L in a NorthQ enclosure and connected to my MacBook :) As Sven said - this is a SATA drive so no direct connection to IDE...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2676/3790909611_955305343e_b.jpg

METOO999
Aug 5, 2009, 02:12 PM
Does someone have a PS3 that they could test an outputted movie with MKV2VOB? I don't have a BD-ROM, so I can't do it right now.

PsychoSid
Aug 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
Hello,

Some of my rips are playing OK in Plex but not being found as a valid source in the latest HB snapshot:-

using the svn 2592 snapshot (tried 32 and 64 bit)

[20:26:36] macgui: trying to open video_ts folder (parent directory chosen)
[20:26:36] hb_scan: path=/Volumes/Media/Rips/Batman Begins.mkv, title_index=0
[20:26:36] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
GUI ERROR dialog: dvd: ifoOpen failed
[20:26:36] hb_stream_open: open /Volumes/Media/Rips/Batman Begins.mkv failed
[20:26:36] scan: unrecognized file type
[20:26:36] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)
[20:26:36] macgui: ScanDone state received from fHandle

Although the MKV container files play OK in Plex ?

Anything else I can do to get these onto the ATV

Dapness
Aug 6, 2009, 06:09 AM
The Mac Pro early 2008 uses IDE for the optical drive. I believe this S-ATA drive that you show won't work, unless you use one of the HD S-ATA connectors, or of course, one of those S-ATA to USB/FW cases.

I actually received a response from OWC about the kit they offer which is just $10 more than the original:

"The 2008 Mac Pro has two SATA ports on the logic board that are, by default, not used by hard drives or any other device in the Mac Pro. If you are not already using these ports with a device such as the NewerTechnology eSATA extender cable, the LGEGGCH20LMPLS comes with a SATA cable to run down to one of these two SATA ports."

In case anyone reading is in my boat, here you go ...

northy124
Aug 6, 2009, 06:49 AM
<Snip>
Did it load up into HB though as that is standard I think when you open an MKV. If it didn't get the latest SVN by compiling yourself.

PsychoSid
Aug 6, 2009, 02:45 PM
Did it load up into HB though as that is standard I think when you open an MKV. If it didn't get the latest SVN by compiling yourself.

Hello,

No it doesn't show as a valid source - others work fine. Complied the latest HB from SVN and the same happens.

Play OK in Plex but need to get them on the ATV somehow.

mpshay
Aug 6, 2009, 07:34 PM
A pic of the LG GGC-H20L in a NorthQ enclosure and connected to my MacBook :) As Sven said - this is a SATA drive so no direct connection to IDE...

I just installed the exact same drive in my 2009 Mac Pro. Worked fine once I realized I needed to take the name plate off the front of the drawer in order for it to open correctly. Took me 49 minutes to rip a 2 hr Blu-ray.

Need to play around a little more before deceiding if continue to use MakeMKV or go back to AnyDVD & TS Muxer on my windows machine.

BrittQ
Aug 6, 2009, 08:36 PM
Just ordered the LG GGC-H20L (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRF8UEB6XSM/) external drive for my mac mini HTPC.

Anyone use this drive?

Going to replace my PS3 (only used for Blu-ray).

NOD
Aug 7, 2009, 12:53 AM
I just installed the exact same drive in my 2009 Mac Pro. Worked fins one I realized I needed to take the name plate off the front of the drawer in order for it to open correctly. Took me 49 minutes to rip a 2 hr Blu-ray.

Need to play around a little more before deceiding if continue to use MakeMKV or go back to AnyDVD & TS Muxer on my windows machine.

HAHAHAHA I had the exact same problem installing the GGW-H20L in my mac pro today. I was meticulous about following the instructions from OWC that came w/ my drive. Then got everything all re-connected, was all proud of myself, and then tried to open the disc tray with a massive fail.:D

Took me a few minutes to figure out how to get that bezel off.:rolleyes:

As for the drive itself -- working great on archiving, but I have >100 BR's to archive. I think this will take a while. Just on a whim, I gave it a whirl w/ some HDDVD's too, and all of them were failures. I thought I had it w/ one HDDVD that was an mpeg-4, but my happiness was short-lived...

As for the BR archiving and playback -- no problems. Plex playback on my mac mini's is flawless!!

davwin
Aug 7, 2009, 07:23 AM
Just ordered the LG GGC-H20L (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRF8UEB6XSM/) external drive for my mac mini HTPC.

Anyone use this drive?

Going to replace my PS3 (only used for Blu-ray).

The GGC-H20L is an internal drive but, that's the one mounted in the enclosure in the pic I posted earlier in the thread. The GGW also mentioned is the same drive but with BD Write capability. These drives are listed several times in this thread and confirmed compatible with OSX for ripping :)

As far as a replacement for a PS3... I don't know. The Mac would have to be under Windows for disc playback first of all. Most Mac's would not be able to passthrough/playback HD audio because they would in general be using optical output for sound. You would also likely have issues with the HDCP "handshake" if you're using a miniDisplayPort > HDMI adapter (all current model aluminum MacBooks/Pros/Mini) under Windows :( In comparisson, a PS3 will output LPCM or bitstream and decode HD audio codecs like TrueHD and DTS-MA and pass it to a receiver all over a 1.3 compatible HDMI connection. As far as I have been able to find, only a Mac Pro with a 4870 card running Windows and connected via HDMI can do full HD audio and video playback currently and there are known driver issues with this setup. To be fair though, monoprice and a few other vendors should have a USB+mDP>HDMI adapter out soon to fix the HD audio playback problems.

Just be aware that you may have problems using that external drive as a replacement for a PS3 for disc playback. Also be aware that ripping the discs and playing them back under Plex negates almost all of those problems :)

BrittQ
Aug 7, 2009, 07:47 AM
The GGC-H20L is an internal drive but, that's the one mounted in the enclosure in the pic I posted earlier in the thread. The GGW also mentioned is the same drive but with BD Write capability. These drives are listed several times in this thread and confirmed compatible with OSX for ripping :)

Just be aware that you may have problems using that external drive as a replacement for a PS3 for disc playback. Also be aware that ripping the discs and playing them back under Plex negates almost all of those problems :)

Ok. Thanks.

I plan on ripping and Plexing.:cool:

macphanatic
Aug 9, 2009, 06:03 AM
After following this thread for a while, i decided to give this a try. I got the LG HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH08LS10 from Newegg. I installed it in my Mac Pro, connected to one of the two sata connections on the motherboard. I used a double right angle sata cable as the connection on the motherboard is fairly cramped. It took about 30 minutes to take out the various components to access the sata ports. It was worth it though, as there was a lot of dust build up behind the fan housing and on the cpu coolers. I knew about taking off the face plate, so I didn't have that issue.

I've successfully ripped Oceans Twelve and Twilight. The one issue is that makemkv doesn't seem to retain chapter marks after ripping or handbrake doesn't recognize them. Any way to get chapter marks to work?

NOD
Aug 10, 2009, 01:31 AM
After following this thread for a while, i decided to give this a try. I got the LG HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH08LS10 from Newegg. I installed it in my Mac Pro, connected to one of the two sata connections on the motherboard. I used a double right angle sata cable as the connection on the motherboard is fairly cramped. It took about 30 minutes to take out the various components to access the sata ports. It was worth it though, as there was a lot of dust build up behind the fan housing and on the cpu coolers. I knew about taking off the face plate, so I didn't have that issue.

I've successfully ripped Oceans Twelve and Twilight. The one issue is that makemkv doesn't seem to retain chapter marks after ripping or handbrake doesn't recognize them. Any way to get chapter marks to work?

That's odd. Chapters have worked fine for me, as I've transcoded my archived discs to ATV-compatible m4v's, and using MetaX to tag prior to importing into itunes, and the chapters are corresponding quite well. And MakeMKV certainly makes a point of delineating exactly how many chapters each subset has. Do you mean that the TITLES of the chapters aren't retained?

As for the rest of your post -- glad to see your installation went well. I realize I'm probably King Idiot on the issue of forgetting the faceplate.:D

My main hope in the future is that a revision comes down the pike for BD+ discs.

davwin
Aug 10, 2009, 07:10 AM
My main hope in the future is that a revision comes down the pike for BD+ discs.

Me too - I attempted my first BD+ title this weekend and as expected it would not rip in MakeMKV. I was still able to use AnyDVD HD under windows but this then requires eac3to and mergeMKV and takes alot more time as I'm sure you guys know. I hope they update MakeMKV to better support HD-DVD's and BD+ discs soon. :)

kevinbal
Aug 10, 2009, 08:56 AM
Me too - I attempted my first BD+ title this weekend and as expected it would not rip in MakeMKV. I was still able to use AnyDVD HD under windows but this then requires eac3to and mergeMKV and takes alot more time as I'm sure you guys know. I hope they update MakeMKV to better support HD-DVD's and BD+ discs soon. :)

I ran into the same problem this weekend with a BD+ disc as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having AnyDVD HD to use since I can't justify spending that much money for a program that'll be spot use at best - I've always just stayed OS X-side with Freemount, DVD2ONE X and Handbrake for all my AppleTV needs :)

BD+ support can't come soon enough!

northy124
Aug 10, 2009, 09:00 AM
I hope they update MakeMKV to better support BD+ discs soon. :)
They should do as this software is going to be pay software in the future apparently.

HD DVD on the other hand, the author has made it clear he isn't going to support a dead format.

DoFoT9
Aug 10, 2009, 06:49 PM
They should do as this software is going to be pay software in the future apparently.

lame....

northy124
Aug 10, 2009, 06:58 PM
lame....
You didn't seriously think he would create this for the good of OS X (I know Wincrap as well but hey) users and free did you :p

Tbh in my opinion at it's current stage I would not pay for it (and most likely never will).

DoFoT9
Aug 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
You didn't seriously think he would create this for the good of OS X (I know Wincrap as well but hey) users and free did you :p

i did actually, just look at handbrake and programs like that! SO much better then this app but still free..

Tbh in my opinion at it's current stage I would not pay for it (and most likely never will).

nope neither, i will have to get the last revision before it becomes paid though, they will be closely linked usability wise :)

brentsg
Aug 10, 2009, 07:48 PM
Blu-ray copy protection isn't static in nature so there's no way someone's going to release and maintain a free version for everyone to use. It would be a full time job and then some.

AndDVD HD is constantly getting updates and it still has to "call home" to download disk-specific data to decrypt the latest titles.

Spikeanator6982
Aug 10, 2009, 09:06 PM
I guess I am not against paying for it as long as it meets two things that i can think of atm

1. It better work simply. Easy to install and rip and encode and play.

2. it better be a reasonable price.

really, if i could rip any blu-ray on the market within, a month old (to give time for any updates needed for changes in copyright protection) it really would be worth quite a bit, again within reason. Wouldn't it? Ya, its stupid to have to pay to have a movie on a hd when u bought it on a disk. But i dont see that as being the program makers fault and he would be helping us.

Michael CM1
Aug 11, 2009, 01:55 AM
I guess I am not against paying for it as long as it meets two things that i can think of atm

1. It better work simply. Easy to install and rip and encode and play.

2. it better be a reasonable price.

really, if i could rip any blu-ray on the market within, a month old (to give time for any updates needed for changes in copyright protection) it really would be worth quite a bit, again within reason. Wouldn't it? Ya, its stupid to have to pay to have a movie on a hd when u bought it on a disk. But i dont see that as being the program makers fault and he would be helping us.

Amen. All I want to do is have my stuff available on my computer and my iPhone. I'm not going to copy this stuff for friends because I'm not a thief. The more studios fight this, the more it pisses us off and turns more people into actual pirates who will copy it and then distribute.

themoonisdown09
Aug 11, 2009, 07:13 AM
Amen. All I want to do is have my stuff available on my computer and my iPhone. I'm not going to copy this stuff for friends because I'm not a thief. The more studios fight this, the more it pisses us off and turns more people into actual pirates who will copy it and then distribute.

Same here. I've been mad that so far, all the Blu Rays I've bought can't be put on my iMac or iPhone. I watch movies all the time on my iPhone, so this is a big deal to me.

macphanatic
Aug 11, 2009, 08:45 AM
That's odd. Chapters have worked fine for me, as I've transcoded my archived discs to ATV-compatible m4v's, and using MetaX to tag prior to importing into itunes, and the chapters are corresponding quite well. And MakeMKV certainly makes a point of delineating exactly how many chapters each subset has. Do you mean that the TITLES of the chapters aren't retained?

As for the rest of your post -- glad to see your installation went well. I realize I'm probably King Idiot on the issue of forgetting the faceplate.:D

MakeMKV shows the number of chapters, but handbrake shows the file as only 1 chapter. I'm hoping I can figure this out. Not having chapter markers is a pain.

Cave Man
Aug 11, 2009, 09:06 AM
I don't believe Handbrake has support for chapter markers from Blu-ray rips.

rayward
Aug 11, 2009, 09:14 AM
Same here. I've been mad that so far, all the Blu Rays I've bought can't be put on my iMac or iPhone. I watch movies all the time on my iPhone, so this is a big deal to me.

Ditto. I haven't bought many Blu Ray movies for exactly this reason - I can watch them on one TV at home only. I'll buy more Blu Rays as a result of this, especially as I'll have the 1080p source material so if Apple ever gets around to upgrading the ATV, I can upgrade my ripped copy.

I also need to get a big external HDD as I'll need two version of each movie - one in 720p for Apple TV and one in iPhone resolution.

nws0291
Aug 11, 2009, 09:26 AM

Yeah i was a little bummed about this. I compiled the latest version and played around with compression on movies that I don't really care for the best quality. It can't keep the chapters which I really like for Plex. I am keeping everything uncompressed at the moment.

donster28
Aug 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah i was a little bummed about this. I compiled the latest version and played around with compression on movies that I don't really care for the best quality. It can't keep the chapters which I really like for Plex. I am keeping everything uncompressed at the moment.

uhmm...yes it does!!! and my final hd-dvd and blu-ray rips from handbrake definitelty have chapter markers.

i convert mine to mkv's with chapter markers first (movie only) then to 720p appletv compatible m4p via handbrake.

i use my iphone to control my appletv via the remote app and i like the fact that i am able to see a list of chapters using it as opposed to using the stock apple tv remote.

donster28
Aug 11, 2009, 12:12 PM

yes it does! my bluray and hddvd converts from handbrake all have chapter markers that i can skip through.

Cave Man
Aug 11, 2009, 12:13 PM
yes it does! my bluray and hddvd converts from handbrake all have chapter markers that i can skip through.

1. What app are you using for ripping your Blu-rays?
2. What version of Handbrake are you using?
3. Are there particular settings for each app that you set?

nws0291
Aug 11, 2009, 12:17 PM
uhmm...yes it does!!! and my final hd-dvd and blu-ray rips from handbrake definitelty have chapter markers.

i convert mine to mkv's with chapter markers first (movie only) then to 720p appletv compatible m4p via handbrake.

i use my iphone to control my appletv via the remote app and i like the fact that i am able to see a list of chapters using it as opposed to using the stock apple tv remote.

Could you share what build of handbrake you use? Do you do the original rip from MakeMKV?

I rip the main title only as well and the chapters work fine as expected. When i open the MKV in handbrake there is nothing listed besides 1 chapter in the settings. I am new to handbrake encoding so I might be missing something.

donster28
Aug 11, 2009, 12:24 PM
1. What app are you using for ripping your Blu-rays?
2. What version of Handbrake are you using?
3. Are there particular settings for each app that you set?

1. I use HD-DVD Bluray Stream Extractor (Windows Only) to rip my discs to MKV. You can select chapters to be extracted as TXT along with the video and audio. Then I merge the files with MKVMERGE (Also under Windows unfortunately). Here you can point to the extracted chapter TXT file to be included. And wala!!! You have an MKV with chapters you can convert to AppleTV in Leopard. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around including subtitles which I don't really care for and plus the hard coded subtitles still show up.

2. Handbrake svn2592

3. See #1 above. If you need a step by step, I can provide one later. But just to let you know, this has been working for me so far with discs that can't be done with MAKEMKV. I also get to convert DTS to AC3. Video and audio quality in 720p AC3 is awesome...saves me hd space too.

xxBURT0Nxx
Aug 11, 2009, 12:38 PM
1. I use HD-DVD Bluray Stream Extractor (Windows Only) to rip my discs to MKV. You can select chapters to be extracted as TXT along with the video and audio. Then I merge the files with MKVMERGE (Also under Windows unfortunately). Here you can point to the extracted chapter TXT file to be included. And wala!!! You have an MKV with chapters you can convert to AppleTV in Leopard. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around including subtitles which I don't really care for and plus the hard coded subtitles still show up.

2. Handbrake svn2592

3. See #1 above. If you need a step by step, I can provide one later. But just to let you know, this has been working for me so far with discs that can't be done with MAKEMKV. I also get to convert DTS to AC3. Video and audio quality in 720p AC3 is awesome...saves me hd space too.

So are you ripping them from BD to an external hdd using Stream Extractor? Then when they are on the HDD, how do you get OSX to see them. When I tried to plug in my external that is formatted for windows, it wouldn't read any files and said I would need to reformat it or partition it for OSX. I guess I'm just wondering how you use the file back and forth between windows and osx. And are you using vista or 7?

Thanks.

donster28
Aug 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
So are you ripping them from BD to an external hdd using Stream Extractor? Then when they are on the HDD, how do you get OSX to see them. When I tried to plug in my external that is formatted for windows, it wouldn't read any files and said I would need to reformat it or partition it for OSX. I guess I'm just wondering how you use the file back and forth between windows and osx. And are you using vista or 7?

Thanks.

Yes I use an external drive to rip in Windows. The external drive I use is formatted in NTFS, therefore I can write to it when I'm in Windows (bootcamp) and I'm able to read it in Leopard-but not write to it-no need to reformat, OSX reads it fine. Then point Handbrake to save the MP4 output to your osx drive (internal or external)-not to the external drive you just used in Windows.

I found this to be the best solution to the incompatibility.

jmpg
Aug 11, 2009, 02:05 PM
I've had mixed results using MakeMKV to rip a BD and getting the chapters to show up in HB. Sometime the chapters are there and sometimes they aren't. However, you can create your own chapter XML file and mux it back into the MKV using MKVMerge GUI (OSX). It works well, but I sometime don't do it out of laziness. Plus, I watch everything on AppleTV, which breaks up the movie for you anyway. I do like seeing the chapter names though.