PDA

View Full Version : Syncing and Streaming to Apple TV - What am I doing wrong?

zmcmahan
Jul 18, 2009, 03:37 PM
I am running version 2.4. OK. Apple TV noobie here with a question. I have synced all my photos to my apple tv. I have also synced some of my music to Apple TV. I have the 40 GB model, so it is almost filled up. I still have a ton of music in iTunes that I would love to access. How can I sync some music and stream the rest? I have tried everything I can think of. I can get it to sync the music, but then when I try to set up streaming, it turns off sync and removes the synced items from Apple TV. When I do get it to stream, I get the "Shared Music" and can access the music on my computer, but then when I click on "My Music" it tells me there is no music in My Music.

In a nutshell, I would like to have some music on the Apple TV hard drive, so I can listen when the computer is not on, however I would also like to be able to stream. Right now...I have music and photos on the Apple TV and it works fine, but I have no "Shared Music" or other shared folders that are showing.

No idea what is going on here. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

sandman42
Jul 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
When you have your computer on (for streaming), do you also have iTunes running on the computer? That's another requirement for streaming.

When your computer's on and iTunes is running, the other content (the stuff that you don't sync) in your iTunes library should be available under "My Music" (not Shared Music), My Movies, etc. You must have 'Custom Sync' selected for your :apple:TV in iTunes, right? I have 'Automatic Sync' selected, but I think it's the same either way: the sync-ed content is on the :apple:TV's hard drive, and everything else should be available by streaming.

zmcmahan
Jul 18, 2009, 03:59 PM
When you have your computer on (for streaming), do you also have iTunes running on the computer? That's another requirement for streaming.

When your computer's on and iTunes is running, the other content (the stuff that you don't sync) in your iTunes library should be available under "My Music" (not Shared Music), My Movies, etc. You must have 'Custom Sync' selected for your :apple:TV in iTunes, right? I have 'Automatic Sync' selected, but I think it's the same either way: the sync-ed content is on the :apple:TV's hard drive, and everything else should be available by streaming.

Yes...I have iTunes up and running. I do have Custom Sync selected. When I go to My Music...the only music there is the music stored on the hard drive, I am not getting streaming of the other music in iTunes.

bohbot16
Jul 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
Deselect "Show only the synced items on my Apple TV"