Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hey guys, I recently acquired some movie files from a windows user and for something they've encoded them as .bin with a separate file .cue.

I'd like to know does anyone have any clues as to what codecs they're created in? or a way to convert them to either .avi or .mpg?

P.S. They're not Universal Binary files.

Thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
They are most probably CD images, one small file being the pointer to the much bigger file.

I don't know if Toast is able to mount them, but if you look in the interweb for some ways to mount .cue/.bin files in Mac OS X, you will most likely be lucky to find something.

When the image is mounted then, you should be able to access the video file, be it .avi, .mp4 or .mov and drag it to wherever you want it to be.

EDIT:

Another thought. It could be an SVCD, which can be mounted and then played back via VLC Player. It should contain an MPEG-2 encoded .mpg file.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I'm in the same boat as NEO, I've ran across these files before and while I have a pretty basic understanding of what they are, I have no idea how I am supposed to be able to mount/burn/use them.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If a video is contained in those image files, have you tried dragging the .cue file onto VLC Player and seen if it works that way?

Does any of you have Toast and can try mounting it that way?

Those .cue/.bin files are from a Windows program called CDR-Win or so, and can be mounted in Windows via Alcohol120% or Daemon Tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.