Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xalex1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2004
I have a g5 dual 1.8 ghz. and somtimes it frezes, It has been in mac store twice. Today they even changed the logic board, when i got home i fired it up and when i started maya 5 it freezed on me, what do you guys think ?

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
xalex1 said:
I have a g5 dual 1.8 ghz. and somtimes it frezes, It has been in mac store twice. Today they even changed the logic board, when i got home i fired it up and when i started maya 5 it freezed on me, what do you guys think ?

No offense but thats what you get for buying a rev 1 apple product. Macs are knows for rev 1's being terrible big filled machines. I am sure there are at least 50 other users on here willing to back me up as well.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I had the same problem. If you can somehow use it without any USB devices (especially the keyboard and mouse) then it will work fine, the problem lies in a usb controler board. Weird, but thats it. What was the fix for me? New computer. Works fine now.

Suspended
Mar 29, 2004
I have the same problem with my new PowerMac G4. I had it in 3 times. They put in new ram, a new logic bored, new processor and anew ligic bored for a second time. I had asked Apple for a new one, but they said no and I had to keep bringing it in. It works now, But its not fun to have your new Mac freeze. Just keep on it and if they don't fix it soon, ask for a new one.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
xalex1 said:

Call 'em up again. I know it sucks, but it's all you can do. Complain until they give you a new one, if you can.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
I have no problems with my rev1 G5 (yet) but someone I know bought the same dual 1.8Ghz the day it was available, and he has faced 4 processor replacements since then... It was DOA to start off with...

my only problem so far is tha when I booted it the first time the superdrive wasn't positioned exactly on-the-spot so I took it out, put it back in and it opens and closes now... and sometimes if my G5 has run for 2/3 days when I shut it down all goes well, monitors go offline, but the power of my G5 stays on for a lot longer before shutting down, but since that's no real problem... I don't bother...

J

PS: I had a REV1 B&WG3 300 and a REV1 Ti-BookG4 400... never had problems on those two either...

ubla

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2004
G5 Major problems

We are an Architectural firm Apple centered but using some PCs because of the lack of software (engineering AUTOCAD centered and MS Project)

We use G4s running Archicad architectural software that originated on the MAC but now dual platform. It is the leading Building Modeling software.

In March we have purchased one G5 for testing – a dual 1.8 with the beast at the time video card and 1G RAM

Our G5 from day one was plagued by freeze ups requiring hard restarts at frequent rate. We have several times clean installed the system. In shot this is the biggest piece of junk we ever head.

In the short time we had it was for close to a month in the shop. Apple (case 23471842) replaced the following things: Three (3) logic boards, (2) processors and the video card. By now the interior is wrecked with stripped mounting screws and a tired harness with broken and loose connectors. We demanded a new machine. I have spent countless hours on the phone. We were bounced around for days from Arthur to Chris to Mike to Cristina to Elisa (he was outright nasty). Finally we are placed in the hands of a special Apple CS rep, Shirley Fay (800) 275-2273 ext 89 ext 40128. She has even promised a new machine but then she became unavailable not returning our begging calls.

The G5 a sleek looking junk is in the shop with corrupted preferences hanging and crashing every minute, we do not have a use for it, maybe a newer machine with ironed out problems would do.

We must buy faster computers and please let me know what alternative I have because the G5 is not for us.

Adalbert Albu

AA Architectural, Inc.
1019-2A Bloomfield Avenue, West Caldwell, NJ 07006
Phone (973) 808-1977
:mad:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have a Rev A dual-2.0 G5 that I got in September of last year. Meaning it's pretty much got the 1st rev of everything in it.

I've had it freeze maybe 3-4 times, and I use it constantly. At least an hour or two a day, every day, and often 10 or more hours.

So, while I agree than many G5s - or many of any model - suck, it clearly isn't true that they all do, nor is it true that Rev A's always are bad. I've had no audio problems, no buzzing power supply, etc.

The only problem I've had with it turned out to be due to a fault in my 20" ACD.

I would continue to stick it out with Apple support. Bitch long enough and loud enough, and they will eventually make things right. In my experience (not with the G5 but with other Macs), they're at least as good as any other computer customer support group.

harperska

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2004
I have a dual 2Ghz G5 that is having freezing problems. How do I find out if it is a rev A?

The machine freezes with enough frequency to make it annoying. However, its behavior is unlike any other freezes or crashes in OSX that I have experienced. It doesn't get a spinning beach ball or anything. I have cursor control, but the entire screen behind the cursor is frozen. The strangest part of it is that I can log into the G5 remotely while it is in the frozen state. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
harperska said:
I have a dual 2Ghz G5 that is having freezing problems. How do I find out if it is a rev A?

The machine freezes with enough frequency to make it annoying. However, its behavior is unlike any other freezes or crashes in OSX that I have experienced. It doesn't get a spinning beach ball or anything. I have cursor control, but the entire screen behind the cursor is frozen. The strangest part of it is that I can log into the G5 remotely while it is in the frozen state. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

thats just a gui freeze, just try doing command + shift + q to logout and then log back in. As for finding out if its a rev a, did you buy it before or after june? if you did before then its rev a

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
I have a Rev A 2.0 Dual G5 and it's been rock solid. That is after I replaced some defective after market memory. (knock on wood)

I have found it very stable, only complaint is sometimes when you start attaching USB devices things get weird. Don't know if it's driver, usb controller, or what but I find only plugging in the device i need at the time help with stability. (i don't leave my joystick, cf card reader, etc. hanging on the system all the time)

As for software I install very little, and don't use anything with Classic mode.

Sucks to hear the bad news from everyone but I don't think it's an flaw on all systems but it does seem like a lot of systems may be screwed up in the initial batch runs.

jochild@yahoo.c

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
i got one of the virginia tech models and so far it has done fine, the only time it has froze was when i was running azureus, but i'm pretty sure it was the code it was written in not the actual computer, so if any prospective buyers are reading this i would still recommend one, this is most definatly the greatest computer i've ever had!

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Hmm, and I thought there was something wrong with your liquid cooling system, mis-leading thread name :eek: :D

xalex1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Not a problem anymore.

The genious couldnt fix the mac so the gave me a brand new one ! :) No problems since i got the new one. :)

thanks for all the posts

ps: They gave it to me a while back, but i didnt have the time to post it.

harperska

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2004
NusuniAdmin said:
thats just a gui freeze, just try doing command + shift + q to logout and then log back in.

See, the problem is I can't keep logging in and out constantly. That isn't a real solution. Sometimes the gui freeze happens two or three times a day! Is this a hardware problem or a software problem, and what the heck can I actually do about it?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As also posted in the same other thread:

When this happened to me, it turned out to be due to my 20" Apple Cinema Display. Disabling the buttons on it (see here) fixed the problem for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.