Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I'm getting a HMC150 soon, what my settings should be in FCP for best results? Does it take long to import(render) from AVCHD to FCP?

I was considering buying the JVC-HM100U because it records natively for FCP, but for the same price the HMC150 is a better camera with more recording options...

Is rendering that bad?

I'm using iMac and MacBook Pro, you can see my specs in my signature...

PS:please reply in regards to this post, I find people sometimes replies with no real answer or no information in regards the thread.

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
I'm getting a HMC150 soon, what my settings should be in FCP for best results? Does it take long to import(render) from AVCHD to FCP?

I was considering buying the JVC-HM100U because it records natively for FCP, but for the same price the HMC150 is a better camera with more recording options...

Is rendering that bad?

I'm using iMac and MacBook Pro, you can see my specs in my signature...

PS:please reply in regards to this post, I find people sometimes replies with no real answer or no information in regards the thread.

I ran into this problem a few days ago with my Canon HG10 and could not figure it out.

I did some research and figured out that this is what you have to do. Drag the AVCHD to your computer harddrive. Then go into FCP and select file>log and transfer. After that FCP is supposedly suppose to do everything else.
Well that did not work for me. And I took the long route which also works.

I bought Toast 10 for $100 and then converted the .MTS files (the file name for AVCHD clips) into H.264. I selected an HD resolution and it looks great. Then I just imported it into FCP and it worked great.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would avoid bringing H.264 video into FCP. It's not a suitable editing codec.

The L&T window in FCP will transfer the video off the camera and transcode it to ProRes, which is a proper codec for editing. The file sizes will be much larger, but frankly, external FW hard drives are cheap and because of that, space shouldn't be much of a concern.

If you decide to copy the camera video to a hard drive prior to transferring into FCP, make sure the folder/directory structure stays intact, otherwise L&T won't recognize the volume, forcing you to use a third-party app like VoltaicHD (which is a LOT slower).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Yeah, H.264 is a horrible codec to edit with and as long as you have fast enough drives (might need an external FW800 RAID depending on what you are doing) you'll be fine using ProRes.

Lethal

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Thank you for replying guys, someone told me that it takes half the time of what you recorded to render, if you have 1 hour recorded, than it would take 30 minutes to render, is that somewhat true?

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
I would avoid bringing H.264 video into FCP. It's not a suitable editing codec.

The L&T window in FCP will transfer the video off the camera and transcode it to ProRes, which is a proper codec for editing. The file sizes will be much larger, but frankly, external FW hard drives are cheap and because of that, space shouldn't be much of a concern.

If you decide to copy the camera video to a hard drive prior to transferring into FCP, make sure the folder/directory structure stays intact, otherwise L&T won't recognize the volume, forcing you to use a third-party app like VoltaicHD (which is a LOT slower).

so how when I take the whole directory structure the AVCHD folder and copy to the desktop and then use L and T it still tells me it cannot recognize it. Am I doing something wrong?

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
In the L&T window, at least on FCE4.0, if you've mounted the drive via USB then you'll see everything there. Why would you want to move everything to your desktop?

L&T has a great feature - "Archive to Disk Image". If you right click on the disk image once you have it mounted via USB. Then, you can move this DMG anywhere you want, copy it, etc.. Then when you want to import into FC, double click the DMG to open it, then open L&T, wait a little while, and it will show up.

It's pretty simple. Mount the image either from USB or the DMG, wait for it to show up in FC, import.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
Thank you for replying guys, someone told me that it takes half the time of what you recorded to render, if you have 1 hour recorded, than it would take 30 minutes to render, is that somewhat true?

completely depends on your computer... I would say a 20-30 minutes of transcoding per hour of footage is a best case scenario.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Two thoughts:

To the guy who got Toast to convert with - I suggest looking into MPEG Streamclip instead. It's free, easy to use, and very quick for file conversions when you need them.

Secondly, H.264 in and of itself is not a bad format for editing. It's a codec! What you're thinking of is AVCHD, its consumer implementation. (AVC is an industry acronym for Advanced Video Coding, what they like to call H.264) Lots of the pro video folks are excited about the AVC-Intraframe compression scheme, which should be much better for editing than formats you may be used to.

Just thought I'd clear that up. So, yes, AVCHD is not a great format from the pro editing standpoint. H.264, however, has a lot of potential in its professional applications.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
Secondly, H.264 in and of itself is not a bad format for editing. It's a codec! What you're thinking of is AVCHD, its consumer implementation. (AVC is an industry acronym for Advanced Video Coding, what they like to call H.264) Lots of the pro video folks are excited about the AVC-Intraframe compression scheme, which should be much better for editing than formats you may be used to.

Just thought I'd clear that up. So, yes, AVCHD is not a great format from the pro editing standpoint. H.264, however, has a lot of potential in its professional applications.

AVC-intra is a great shooting codec, but it still isn't widely used for editing... a QT movie using h.264 is not meant for editing and should be converted to something with RT capable editing in FCP.

PhixionFilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2008
Deployed atm
Wait, your buying an HMC150 and you dont know what settings you should use? Thats a whole lot of camera. Seems like you have allllloooott of learning to do.

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
so how when I take the whole directory structure the AVCHD folder and copy to the desktop and then use L and T it still tells me it cannot recognize it. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes. FC is looking for a mounted drive. Use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the card. When the image is mounted, FC will behave as if your camcorder is mounted. Huzzah.

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
completely depends on your computer... I would say a 20-30 minutes of transcoding per hour of footage is a best case scenario.

Two thoughts:

To the guy who got Toast to convert with - I suggest looking into MPEG Streamclip instead. It's free, easy to use, and very quick for file conversions when you need them.

Yes. FC is looking for a mounted drive. Use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the card. When the image is mounted, FC will behave as if your camcorder is mounted. Huzzah.

Thanks for the info. So when I plug the camera in and open L & T nothing happens. How long do I have to wait until it shows up? 20-30 minutes?

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
So when I plug the camera in and open L & T nothing happens. How long do I have to wait until it shows up? 20-30 minutes?
Should be pretty much instantaneous - it is in my experience. However, I never bother connecting the camcorder itself (a Panasonic SD9 in my case) - too many cables. Much easier is to eject the memory card and use a USB card reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.