PDA

View Full Version : Call Of Duty for Macintosh

aussie_geek
Jun 10, 2004, 02:05 AM
Aspyr has just released the port of Call of Duty for Macintosh so I thought I would write a small review about how this game shapes up.

As a proud owner of a new 15" Powerbook G4, I was looking for a good new shooter / action game for it so I could put it through its paces. Being a fan of EA games' Medal of Honour game series it was logical to assume that this game would be able to satisfy my need for a new WWII shoot em up.

There are two modes of play - offline and online. I have not yet finished the offline mode yet that presents a true challenge to complete. There are many missions to go though including the D-Day battle on the beaches of Normandy and the Battle of Berlin, two historic battles of the entire war.

The online version is a whole different experience. It is similar to that of the Medal of Honour series however there are more weapons to choose from and the level maps are rendered to the finest detail. There is support for up to 36 players per server and the maps are enormous so there are plenty of places to hide so you can assault the enemy and formulate group attack strategies.

The graphics are sensational due to the use of the new Quake engine that renders the game. I have the 15 inch Powerbook with 128 Mb of Vram and can enable all features of the graphics options and still achieve a great frame rate. One problem is that there is no support for the 1280x854 resolution of the 15 inch monitor. I chose to use the 1024x768 screen size to play the game.

The sound effects that are used are phenomenal. Just plug in some headphones and you are right in the middle of it - bullets and ricochets flying everywhere!! It really feels like you are right in there in the heat of the action.

So there you have it, I reccomend this to anyone whe likes WWII shooters with a decent storyline to follow. And when you get sick of that you can always go online and go psycho on some real opponents.

The game an be found at :

http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/cod/

I suggest you read the system requirements so you can see if your Mac can run it. I also have a dual 867 Mhz G4 tower with a nvidia geoforce 4mx with 32 Mb Vram and it plays perfectly on that as well.

aussie_geek

oingoboingo
Jun 10, 2004, 02:54 AM
So there you have it, I reccomend this to anyone whe likes WWII shooters with a decent storyline to follow. And when you get sick of that you can always go online and go psycho on some real opponents.

And if someone wants to buy my copy of it, search eBay Australia for 'Call of Duty' in the 'Apple' section. Only $41 at the moment, finishes on Saturday. Cheap cheap cheap!!!

KiDrOck80
Jun 27, 2004, 03:49 PM
System Requirements:

Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later
PowerPC G4/G5, 867 MHz or faster
256MB of RAM
1.4 GB free disk space
3D Graphics Acceleration required (ATI Radeon 7500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better)
32MB of Video Ram (VRAM)
DVD drive required to install and play

Games are getting more and more demanding, but at the same time much better

abhishekit
Jun 29, 2004, 01:36 PM
I bought the game 4-5 days back. Its pretty good. Lot more team oriented. I like the way accuracy suffers when you are running .

cheers

keysersoze
Jun 29, 2004, 07:17 PM
I bought the game 4-5 days back. Its pretty good. Lot more team oriented. I like the way accuracy suffers when you are running .

cheers

Man, this game is so much better then MOH. MOH had its place, but it seemed like the AI was REALLY lacking...like with the enemy. The COD enemies seem a bit more randomized and will work together to kill you instead of sticking there head out and shooting...again again and again until you finally pop them off. I wish COD had a Normandy Invasion level like the one on MOH... Additionally I really like using the plethora of anti-whatever weapons. I thought the tank levels in MOH sucked, but that was probably just me. And the first level of Spearhead totally dicked over my PB G4 @1.33....SO CHOPPY. Anyway, Has anyone installed the beta patch that was just released for COD?