PDA

View Full Version : Canada Anti-Mac?

nate
Jun 10, 2004, 02:19 AM
iTunes Music Store is not available in Canada, unfortunately.

There are now three music stores in Canada that offer downloadable music for cost.

- PureTacks (which also works in conjunction with Telus and Bell)
- Napster.ca
- some French site (for Quebec) ... I can't remember the name.

With three different stores you'd think that there was options for Mac users, but there is not.

Instead, all three sites are Windows only sites. Mac users need not apply.

All three sites claim that they use WMA file formats, which are not licensed to work on Mac, because the Windows Media player on Mac allows for misuse of the licensed files.

I've heard that Apple Computers have been trying to get into Canada, but a few factors exist that make it an uphill battle:

1) File Sharing is still legal in Canada
2) Only WMA files are included in the Canadian Music Licensing.

So, what is a Mac user supposed to do? I bought a CD last week for $16 bucks. Online, I could get the same CD for only $9.95 (on puretracks, for example).

This is unfair. As a Mac user don't I have the right to use the OS of my choice to purchase downloadable music in Canada?

But apparently that's not the case. I feel that the Canadian Licensing industry is being anti-mac. As a consumer I feel discriminated against because I choose to use OS X over Windows XP.

Does Microsoft have anything to do with this? Maybe. Making it difficult for iTunes Music Store to enter Canada (and other markets) would give Microsoft the upper hand. But is that fair to us? No, it isn't. That's like Canada only letting Saturn cars being sold and no other car brand.

Do I have the right to sue the Canadian Music Companies. :rolleyes:

Yes! I do -- but I don't have the ch-ching to afford a good lawyer, and they do.

I do have the right to download music for free, say, using services like Limewire? Yes. File sharing is Legal in Canada, but it doesn't support the artists that I like to listen to; in a way, I'm stealing from them.

If downloading music through file sharing became illegal in Canada, do I have a leg to stand on?

Yes, because as a Mac user I am not allowed to down load music and I'm forced to pay higher prices because of that. It's customer dicrimination. Maybe I can get back pay for all of the CD's I had to buy at a higher price. (that'd be nice...hehehehe) :D

Mac users -- unite! Against the oppression of Microsofts monopoly hand in Canada (and the Music companies that support monoplizing one brand for all). As a consumer, I have rights to buy the OS of my choosing and be serviced the same. Windows users should be no more special just because Billy says so.

No longer shall we be discrimated against and oppresed because of the our OS.

No longer shall we be bullied around by windows-only pricing and unfair prices imposed on mac users.

And No longer shall we stand aside and keep silent.

I have a dream that one day mac users will be able to download music for the same price as a Windows user without fear of being denied because of our OS.

I am Nate, and I am a proud owner of an apple computer. The best OS around.

I am Macanadian!

--nate :p

PS go Flames go! (I don't care if hockey is over, Go Flames go!)

bella
Jun 10, 2004, 12:46 PM
YA! What he said!

windowsblowsass
Jun 10, 2004, 03:00 PM
i think apple has something against canada ever since the infamous time incident

King Cobra
Jun 10, 2004, 05:05 PM

So, what is a Mac user supposed to do?

Either get a PC for your music and use your Mac for everything else (come to think about it, that's not too bad of an idea, since if you turn off your Mac or want it to process something, you can keep your music playing on iTunes/WinAmp/etc. on your PC), or...

Get a second Mac (or an iPod), transfer the .wma files to your other Mac, connect the audio from there to your main computer via audio-in, and record the playback of the song from there into Sound Studio. --> You'll get an AIFF of the song, which you can convert to AAC, if you want. That process also works to get rid of the protection on iTunes Music Store songs, just as long as both Macs have an internet connection, because the protected song requires verification from the iTMS. Screwy! http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_snipersmilie.gif

suraj
Jun 11, 2004, 08:07 PM
i think apple has something against canada ever since the infamous time incident

What time incident?

All in all I think that the establishment of 3 other online music stores will make it difficult for iTMS but with the popularity of the iPod and iTunes throughout Canada I would expect iTMS to breakthrough eventually in the Canadian market.

windowsblowsass
Jun 11, 2004, 08:54 PM
What time incident?

All in all I think that the establishment of 3 other online music stores will make it difficult for iTMS but with the popularity of the iPod and iTunes throughout Canada I would expect iTMS to breakthrough eventually in the Canadian market.
when time magazine canada was released with a picture of the imac g4s on the cover 1 day before the machine was announced i think that got apple peeved

adamjay
Jun 14, 2004, 02:02 AM
get VLC, the free media player for OSX from macupdate.com
it plays .wma files

g4cubed
Jun 15, 2004, 09:52 PM

You're right, this is Apples punishment for that screw up. Apple has a long grim memory about screw ups.

Look at ATI in '99 when it accidentally sent out a press release confirming Apple would use its RAGE 4XL chip in the iMac and RAGE 128 PRO standard in two PM models before Apple had its chance to announce the new desktop. Steve was so upset by the press release screw-up that he removed all mention of ATI and their products from his keynote presentation and scrapped a portion of his presentation where an ATI executive was to take the stage and perform a demonstration of the company's new RADEON graphics cards for the Mac. In addition, Jobs demanded that all ATI RADEON card options be removed from the company's online store. It was some time before ATI products returned as options on the Apple online store or in Apple products.

And more recently the screw up where a Toshiba HD manager officially confirmed a new 1.8-inch hard drive with a 60GB capacity would soon be in full production and that Apple had committed to buying the drive. There hasn't been any discussion on what Steve is going to do. But you better believe that he's pissed since he had to come up with something different for WWDC. We'll just have to wait and see.

Maayan
Jun 16, 2004, 02:31 PM

1) Damn straight. And provided that Harper doesn't get in, we'll also continue to enjoy things such as over-the-counter Plan B drugs (http://www.thestranger.com/2004-05-27/savage.html), gay marriages, relaxed marijuana laws, and tax-paid medicare for all. Long live the beaver!

If you happen to like paying for your music -- and that's cool! -- I'm sure that there are plenty of online retailers that offer great deals on CDs and individual music files.

2) Try MPlayer OSX (http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/).

If there's one thing that could possibly bug me about the Great White North, it'd have to be the fact that we've got plenty of Authorized Apple Resellers (http://www.apple.com/ca/buy/) but not a single Apple Store (apart from the one online), and that's only because it'll be a hassle to send my iPod mini back to the company once it begins to degenerate.

nate
Jun 20, 2004, 10:42 PM
Mplayer and VLC player are fine.

Playing .wma files is no problem, but here is the problem: Mac users are not "allowed" to download from any Canadian Music company. Go to any of the online music stores and they all say that. They only allow windows users because of security issues.

What security issues? Programs on the Mac computer allow for users to share and burn the music unlimitedly. Windows has made sure that .wma files on a windows computer will follow the licensing agreement (3 CD burns, no file sharing, etc, etc). The .wma file has an extension, as well, when downloading they get your computer number from the Reg files and other windowy stuff -- so it's harder to scam off the songs. The company knows who you are, and which computer it belongs too.

Solutions for the Mac user:

- getting Windows based PC
- Using Virtual PC

Problems with that:

- Why should I buy a windows PC, such as Dell. First, it costs money. Second, I have no use for it.

- Use Virtual PC. I have it, I hardly ever use it. And to second that, if I download music (say off puretraks) Because it's windows, it wont let me transfer that file onto my Mac. So I'd have to sit there and run music from slow virutal PC with Windows Xtra Problems. It's silly and cumbersome.

- the other option is to use virtual PC, buy burning software, burn it to a CD, then go into Mac OS X, and use iTunes to copy the music. That's a pain and a waste of time.

- Solution Three: iTunes Music store comes to Canada so Canadian Mac Users can download music. Downloaded music is cheaper than buying a whole CD, right now Canadian companies will only favor windows users; Mac users are out in the cold.

- And final solution: Use Limewire. Download the music for free while it's free and semi-legal in Canada. That may change with in the next year because of pressure from the Music companies.

- Well, another one would be a five-fingered-discount -- but limewire in a way is that.

I buy CDs all the time, I'm just irate that as a Mac user I get shut down by companies that are Anti-mac, and by licensing laws that only favor windows users. So Windows users get special pricing, and I (as a mac user) must pay full price.

Why do I buy CDs and why do I believe in purchasing music I like?

Simply because I want to support the artists that I like. Being an artist myself, I know what it's like and if I were in their shoes I'd like to get paid for all of the hard work I do, and know that fans appreciate my hard work. Purchasing an album or songs I like is my way of showing my support, both financially and just for appreciation.

It also helps emerging artists get a chance. If record companies are too worried about money, they'll be less likely to invest in a new artist.

Do I use Limewire? Yes. I like to check out music, listen to it, and then if I like the artists songs, I'll go out and buy the CD. I like to think of it as trial ware -- music style. Try it, then by it.

I do that with books and other things as well. If I like it, I'll buy it because I know it helps.

--nate

Cohiba
Jul 26, 2004, 11:34 PM
I dont think its apple's choice not to sell in canada. I'm sure its the canadian govt that wont allow itunes to sell in canada. Canada is very strict over what canadiens can watch, listen to, and buy. The canadian govt doesnt allow many US tv stations to be broadcast in canada, the newspapers are basically govt controlled, and drugs, file sharing and illegal satelites are allowed (even though they are illegal). Oh, also biker gangs e have practically taken control of drugs, prostition, and extortion (to name a few).

It seems the canadian govt is willing to allow their people to indulge in illegal activities but when it comes to giving people choices, they have a tight grip on things...

slughead
Jul 29, 2004, 12:51 AM
1) Damn straight. And provided that Harper doesn't get in, we'll also continue to enjoy things such as over-the-counter Plan B drugs (http://www.thestranger.com/2004-05-27/savage.html),

+1 Canada! -1 US FDA!

gay marriages

+0 Canada! +1 US "everyone in canada is gay" arguers!

relaxed marijuana laws

+1 Canada! -1 US!

tax-paid medicare for all.

-20 Canada. Sorry, ~5/6 of Americans get ~3x better coverage than ~6/6 Canadians.

But at least you have more pollution/GDP and 50% higher unemployment :)

See, it can be cold down here in Phoenix too! :)
---
As far as iTunes Music Store in canada.. For christ's sake, if you guys have the concept of ex post facto, you should really act on that court's decision to allow music piracy.

I would seriously have a queue of 500 songs long right now if it were legal. I wouldn't sleep for at least the first month after that ruling... like when I first found napster for Mac.