PDA

View Full Version : G4 PM discontinued

jxyama
Jun 10, 2004, 09:05 AM
if you need OS 9, better act quickly...

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/06/09/apple/index.php?redirect=1086765595000

everything except the last blurb is not news. but the last part of the article states:

In announcing the new Power Mac G5s, Apple also indicated that its Power Mac G4 has been taken out of production. Up until now, Apple has continued to manufacture 1.25GHz Power Mac G4 systems; single processor versions have been available at Apple retailers while the Apple Store has continued to make a dual-processor version available as a build-to-order option. Apple said the Power Mac G4 "will no longer be in production and is available for purchase while supplies last." MacCentral confirmed that this applies to all Power Mac G4 models.

goodwill
Jun 10, 2004, 11:14 AM
I think it was time for the G4 PM to retire and like the title says, as long as its not the G4 PB I don't care. Although, the day will eventually come when the G4 PB can be found for 300.00 on ebay and Apple won't manafacture them anymore. Hard to think of that day. I will be ok :(

virividox
Jun 10, 2004, 12:38 PM
well it shows their dedication to the g5

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2004, 01:23 PM
well it shows their dedication to the g5

How about a single 1.6ghz g5 for $1499??

alexf
Jun 10, 2004, 02:02 PM
How about a single 1.6ghz g5 for $1499??

It's now $1599 at the Apple store, and even less for refurb.

quagmire
Jun 10, 2004, 03:01 PM
The key word in the article was single processor. The dual G4's are still in production. So if you want a single PM G4 get it now. If you want a dual G4 you have time. Probably with the next G5 revision we will see the whole PM G4 line shut down.

nsb3000
Jun 10, 2004, 03:28 PM
if you need OS 9, better act quickly...

This is big news. Nobody buys a New Power mac G4 because it only has one processor, they buy it because it can boot into OS 9. There is an ever shrinking minority of people who need this, but for those that do, this will be missed.

QCassidy352
Jun 10, 2004, 03:40 PM
The key word in the article was single processor. The dual G4's are still in production. So if you want a single PM G4 get it now. If you want a dual G4 you have time. Probably with the next G5 revision we will see the whole PM G4 line shut down.

from the article:
"MacCentral confirmed that this applies to all Power Mac G4 models."

"all" would have to mean the duals as well, no?

musicpyrite
Jun 10, 2004, 04:05 PM
*sigh*......

Frankly I really miss OS 9. Everything in X is all colorful and pretty and has lots of eyecandy. 9 had straight lines, no eyecandy. If it haden't been for OS 9, I would by typing this to you on a Widows machine.

I'm really going to miss OS 9. :(

Finiksa
Jun 10, 2004, 05:35 PM
If it haden't been for OS 9, I would by typing this to you on a Widows machine.

Screw OS 9, I hated that ugly grey sterile interface. If not for OS X I'd be using a Windows machine today, I'm glad 9 is dead.

johnnyjibbs
Jun 10, 2004, 06:56 PM
Yes, Dual G4s are still available so this is not a big deal. Why buy a single G4 PowerMac apart from OS 9? Just get an eMac. To be honest, I don't know why anyone would need to buy a new machine just to run OS 9 - everything now just about is available on OS X - and OS 9 is ugly and so Windows 3.1.

If it were'nt for OS X, I would have NEVER switched to Mac.

johnnyjibbs
Jun 10, 2004, 06:58 PM
I think it was time for the G4 PM to retire and like the title says, as long as its not the G4 PB I don't care. Although, the day will eventually come when the G4 PB can be found for 300.00 on ebay and Apple won't manafacture them anymore. Hard to think of that day. I will be ok :(
G4 PowerBooks will only retire when G5 PowerBooks come out. Don't worry. That's silly. Otherwise there would be no PowerBooks.