PDA

View Full Version : Buying a dvr 107.... Help needed

fancyafc
Jun 10, 2004, 09:26 AM
Hi, I am going to purchase a pioneer dvr 107 as I need to upgrade my slow and old 103 superdrive. I have been looking at various sites and a few have specific mac 107's. The only diffrence I can see is the software. Is this the case? Or do I need an actual Mac one? I am running 10.3.4 at present and was under the impression that any 107 drive would work. Any help would be appreciated.

cpjakes
Jun 10, 2004, 11:30 AM
A bare 107 should be fine, don't worry about software packages unless you need them. And usually, it's only lite versions that aren't really worth it. I would say to find the cheapest bare drive 107 that you can and if you don't already have Toast, get it with what you save. But make sure it's from a reputable retailer. I like hypermicro, here's the link to their 107:

http://www.hypermicro.com/product.asp?pf_id=DVPI128&dept_id=03-004

I'm sure you could find it cheaper, but probably not by much.

allroy
Jun 10, 2004, 01:13 PM
Hi, I am going to purchase a pioneer dvr 107 as I need to upgrade my slow and old 103 superdrive. I have been looking at various sites and a few have specific mac 107's. The only diffrence I can see is the software. Is this the case? Or do I need an actual Mac one? I am running 10.3.4 at present and was under the impression that any 107 drive would work. Any help would be appreciated.

I got a 107 3 months ago and as long as you have 10.3.4 (which you do) it includes native support for the new superdrive.

The only thing is mine shipped with firmware v1.05 which was really outdated and didn't allow me to burn 4x media at 8x, however there is a hack someone made to allow you to flash the firmware on your mac. The firmware allows me to burn a 8x and is region free! The other good thing is I can always flash it with the official pioneer firmware if I want which is 1.15 I believe.

CLICK HERE (http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222601)

aloofman
Jun 10, 2004, 01:36 PM
I bought that same drive last month and put it in my Quicksilver (2001), replacing the original CD-RW drive. As long as you have 10.3.3 or later, it's natively supported and will be recognized immediately.

In my case, since I didn't previously have a DVD drive, I reinstalled Panther to get Finder and iTunes burning. (There are various hack methods for doing this without installing the whole OS.) But since you already have a DVD drive, this shouldn't be an issue. The bare drive should work right away.