PDA

View Full Version : Macbook heat problems

dave.h.3g
Jul 20, 2009, 10:49 PM
Im having some issues with my mbp getting pretty hot and was wondering if anyone had any insight..
i use fan control and for a couple months now ive needed to leave it on the higher rpm setting to keep the temperature down. does anyone know why my notebook this is the problem? the temperature goes up even when i have no applications open or am not doing anything
what do you guys think

NewMacbookPlz
Jul 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
Any CPU cycle hungry processes listed in Activity Monitor when "All Processes" are shown?

Just how hot are we talking? You can install iStat Pro as a dashboard widget to get actually temp numbers.

dave.h.3g
Jul 21, 2009, 03:02 PM
Any CPU cycle hungry processes listed in Activity Monitor when "All Processes" are shown?

Just how hot are we talking? You can install iStat Pro as a dashboard widget to get actually temp numbers.

checked it out and some dashboard apps were doing some stuff so i deleted them and am gonna see what happens. thanks

and temps went up to around 160F before

killerrobot
Jul 21, 2009, 03:11 PM
MBPs run hot. 160F is well within normal operating temps. Mine has run upwards of 180 degrees for extended periods during summers with no air, and it's still alive.

Just remember to keep plenty of space for airflow around the fan area and that the cooler the room you're using it in, the cooler it will run.

dave.h.3g
Jul 21, 2009, 07:35 PM
MBPs run hot. 160F is well within normal operating temps. Mine has run upwards of 180 degrees for extended periods during summers with no air, and it's still alive.

Just remember to keep plenty of space for airflow around the fan area and that the cooler the room you're using it in, the cooler it will run.

ok thanks man

Jeffrosproto
Jul 21, 2009, 08:09 PM
The MacBook Pros also use aluminum, so they can dissipate heat easier. Don't worry about it, unless it starts shutting down.

fun173
Jul 21, 2009, 08:16 PM
my macbook sometimes will just start spazzing and just go to like 140