Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CityOfAngels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
19679169.jpg

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Differences in altitude, approach patterns, actual sizes of the aircraft, etc can create deceptions like this. I have seen and shot for myself many similar images.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Fake. Even if you could crop your view to get anything similar in a shot, the DOF would be considerably different for at least one of the planes. Not even a good fake.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Also, this didn't come to me so quickly, but SAA uses some of their cargo fleet at local airshows. That probably explains why the other a/c is turning away.

I'd suggest that most of you refrain from plane-spotting the 28 approaches at SFO; they'd all be fake to you.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Here's a quote from the photographer Emil Watson:

This is as it came off my camera, They were flying in formation and had permission from the Aviation Authorities for the Airshow. It was even more scary taking photographs and suddenly not knowing what was going on beacuse you are watching through the cameras view finder.

But yes it was very spectacular, will put another photo up soon.

Emil Watson

It seems to be real.. from an air show. The angle of the shot makes the planes seem to be extremely close. Here's another photo of the same two aircraft.

19678823.jpg

and another link.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Also, this didn't come to me so quickly, but SAA uses some of their cargo fleet at local airshows. That probably explains why the other a/c is turning away.

I'd suggest that most of you refrain from plane-spotting the 28 approaches at SFO; they'd all be fake to you.

Ahaha It doesn't look fake when your on a plane coming into SFO. They are all pretty close to each other.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Thisphoto seems to have been taken only moments later.

What's odd though is that in the OP's photo the right wing of the near plane seems to be behind the left wing of the far plane, but in the photo I linked to the near planes right wing seems to be in in front of the far planes left wing. Which suggests they really arent as close as it seems.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
I find it funny how people have become so cynical on the internet that they instantly call something fake instead of thinking about it for a second.

If you go to airliners.net there are quite a few photos like this one.

Yep. This thread isn't too far from this:
photoshops.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.