Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
yoman said:
I've heard from some places that the 17-inch Apple Displays tend to die a few months after warranty expires. Is this true?

Which 17" Apple Studio Display? My graphite 17" CRT Apple Studio Display has been reliable since 2000.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
yoman said:
I've heard from some places that the 17-inch Apple Displays tend to die a few months after warranty expires. Is this true?
Yes the VGA-based monitors (big and small) that came out with the B&W and later greyed out tend to fail.

The ADC version should be more reliable, Apple changed the electronics.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Be careful when you get your information from "some places" because a lot of "places" don't have accurate information on Apple products and they tend to have anti-Apple bias on top of that. Specifying that they die a few months out of warranty suggests that you got your information from one of those kinds of sources.

I haven't heard anything about abnormal failure rates in Apple Studio Displays. We have 2 CRT studio displays that are years out of warranty with no problems and 1 LCD studio display that had work done to it (dead pixels) in warranty.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
There are some people (enough to get one of those online petitions going demanding that Apple aknowledge the problem) who report un-even lighting on the top and bottom of the screen, on the 17" LCD studio displays. Apple refuses to say it's their problem, and if you want to get it repaired its $400something bucks, compare that to the price of a new display for $699. :rolleyes:

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Horrortaxi said:
Be careful when you get your information from "some places" because a lot of "places" don't have accurate information on Apple products and they tend to have anti-Apple bias on top of that. Specifying that they die a few months out of warranty suggests that you got your information from one of those kinds of sources.

I haven't heard anything about abnormal failure rates in Apple Studio Displays. We have 2 CRT studio displays that are years out of warranty with no problems and 1 LCD studio display that had work done to it (dead pixels) in warranty.

I was referring to the 17-inch LCD Display. I saw it on the Apple Discussion Forums Link I was thinking of buying a 17-inch until I saw all these posts concernig abnormal dimming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.