Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smswetz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Currently I'm using a generic car charger and a monster cable for the aux to go into my stereo. However, when the phone is charging, I'm hearing sort of a buzz through the stereo, and it definitely ruins the listening experience, which when you have an hour commute, is a very important thing.

So I'm looking into another solution, preferably one I can buy in a store (best buy, apple store, ect), and I'm wondering if any of you have something similar to what I'm looking for. Basically, I'd like a combo of charger/aux out, I've seen this monster one:
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5340

Which I very much like (I don't really HAVE to have the remote, as it's mounted to my window, and hitting "next" isn't very difficult), but it doesn't seem to be in any stores around me.

Does anyone have anything similar that they like?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Currently I'm using a generic car charger and a monster cable for the aux to go into my stereo. However, when the phone is charging, I'm hearing sort of a buzz through the stereo, and it definitely ruins the listening experience, which when you have an hour commute, is a very important thing.

So I'm looking into another solution, preferably one I can buy in a store (best buy, apple store, ect), and I'm wondering if any of you have something similar to what I'm looking for. Basically, I'd like a combo of charger/aux out, I've seen this monster one:
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5340

Which I very much like (I don't really HAVE to have the remote, as it's mounted to my window, and hitting "next" isn't very difficult), but it doesn't seem to be in any stores around me.

Does anyone have anything similar that they like?

Not sure what you mean by "it's mounted to my window" but have you checked out the Griffin TuneFlex AUX or TuneFlex AUX SmartClick?

smswetz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Not sure what you mean by "it's mounted to my window" but have you checked out the Griffin TuneFlex AUX or TuneFlex AUX SmartClick?

I haven't tried either of those, but does connecting via dock eliminate (or at least tone down) the ground loop "buzzing" that I get with my current set up?

I'm just talking about having my iphone mounted to the window, like a GPS.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I haven't tried either of those, but does connecting via dock eliminate (or at least tone down) the ground loop "buzzing" that I get with my current set up?

That buzzing (it's usually more of a whining) is generally a result of a bad install. Are you sure you're not experiencing buzz from your iphone's radio? That has been known to cause buzzing. I only use my TuneFlex with my Touch and I don't have any buzzing or whining; however, that doesn't mean that you won't experience it. I don't think there's anything integrated into the TuneFlex that will eliminate that kind of buzz. The solution that irbrenda posted might work but you should probably just get a TuneFlex and try it out anyway. Just make sure you buy it from somewhere that allows returns.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Probably not what you're looking for, but this is easily one of the best head units for using with an iPhone.

I had an older one with my old 5G iPod, it needed an extra box, but charged and had full control (albeit, a bit clunky) of the iPod.

I tried the one linked above and it works much nicer, and will do bluetooth headset duties for the iPhone too if you want.

I think its a really nice solution and won't give any buzzing while charging, because all that is going from the cable to the stereo is data, rather than line out sound.

smswetz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Probably not what you're looking for, but this is easily one of the best head units for using with an iPhone.

I had an older one with my old 5G iPod, it needed an extra box, but charged and had full control (albeit, a bit clunky) of the iPod.

I tried the one linked above and it works much nicer, and will do bluetooth headset duties for the iPhone too if you want.

I think its a really nice solution and won't give any buzzing while charging, because all that is going from the cable to the stereo is data, rather than line out sound.

I would love to get a new head unit, but I'm just not sure I'm properly funded for it quite yet. The noise filter seems like a good idea, I would just need to find somewhere to implement it so it doesn't look terrible.

As for the bad install -- I wouldn't doubt it, I got it done at circuit city a couple years ago. However, the whining only comes when I'm charging the phone, if I unplug the charger, it sounds crisp and clear.

therealkaizoku

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Oregon
Some unsolicited advice here, but I would suggest that you not spend any more money on Monster Cable products. They have fantastic marketing, and retail shops make a killing in profit margin on them, but they aren't any better than generic cables from monoprice.

As for the buzz...it sounds like there might be a bad ground somewhere in the install or the power to the cig lighter, or in the charger itself.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
the whining only comes when I'm charging the phone, if I unplug the charger, it sounds crisp and clear.

It could just be the generic car charger you're using then. If you can find the TuneFlex in a local store, give it a shot - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I can recommend this product -- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500EX101/Alpine-eX-10.html?tp=120

For 50 bucks, it's a steal. It doesn't charge the 3G/3GS, but the sound quality through the high speed interface is lightyears better than straight out of the headphone jack. Plus, it acts as a handsfree bluetooth car kit as well.

The only drawback is that you have to use the remote.

can you post some real pics of how it looks like in your car all set up

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
The brain is hidden behind the glove box and all wires, except for the cigarette lighter adapter and the high speed cable are hidden in the dash. Install took less than an hour.

I'm going to be putting in an additional cigarette lighter adapter behind the dash for it as well.

Only took two pictures when I installed it, but here it is on the dash of an '07 PT Cruiser (wife's car).

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 75
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 64

smswetz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys -- I appreciate it all.
That Alpine device looks snazzy, but seems like more than I need. I actually like using the iphone as the audio player, I rotate my dock and can use cover flow, it's nice, and a lot safer than scrolling through menus. And I don't want to stop using my jawbone, because I spent good money on it.

Do you like the Kensington one, any idea where I can purchase it in store? Does it give you the "Airplane Mode" error?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.