Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCJake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Manhattan
Anyone else having trouble with their iPod Touches lasting more than a year? It's a lot of money to spend for one year's worth of use. Mine got replaced with a refurbished one and my partner's, well, they told him he was out of luck. I know I purchased that for him last July so I need to go into a store and yell at them to give him another. How can they expect people to keep spending that much money for a product that lasts 1 year?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I know people with the 1st gen still working fine. It really depends how you treat it if you keep it at decent temps and humidity and don't drop it as well as own a case for it, it should last a very long time! but if your throwing it or dropping it or leaving it in your car on a 100 degree day its going to last a lot less.

Funplex

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
My first generation iPod Touch has been working just fine. It gets use for everything except music, so I'm not sure what kind of wear and tear that would put on the device.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Anyone else having trouble with their iPod Touches lasting more than a year? It's a lot of money to spend for one year's worth of use. Mine got replaced with a refurbished one and my partner's, well, they told him he was out of luck. I know I purchased that for him last July so I need to go into a store and yell at them to give him another. How can they expect people to keep spending that much money for a product that lasts 1 year?

Any idea as to why they told him he was out of luck? Maybe the water sensors were tripped and voided the warranty.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

As others have said, you need to provide some detail if you want any useful answers. I've got a first gen touch which is still perfect (other than the scratched back of course). It's not in a case and does occasionaly get chucked in a bag but by and large it's taken care of. I haven't dropped it outside of the home and I'm VERY careful when out and about not to abuse it.

Basically, if you're getting through iPod's that quick my gut feel is you're not taking care of 'em. These aren't rugged units, it's basically a very large touch sensitive screen and needs to be treated with a bit of care.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I know someone with a 1g, and it still works fine. It all goes with how you treat it or if yours is just unlucky.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008

You have to know that before buying Apple products. The warranties run out and the iPod line gets refreshed every year and yes they expect you to buy a new one when yours stops working after the warranty is up. but pertaining to the original question, i've never had problems with any of my iPods. my 5th generation lasted about 1 1/2 years (i feel in the water with it in my pocket so that's the only reason it died) and my iPod touch is going on 1 1/2 years and still working fine.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Ive never, personally, owned the same iPod for more then a year :p But my dad has my 1G touch, which is a replacement Apple gave me in May 2008, and that's been working flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.