Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
Hey guys,
First time poster long time reader. I found a rev A macbook air on craigslist and wanted to get everyone's opinion on weather or not it is a good deal. The guy is asking for 600 plus a new blackberry 8900. The macbook comes with a lot of torrented software and in great condition. Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Sergio

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
First, the torrented software is against the law.
Second, the Rev A macbook airs have known core shutdown issues. Search the forums for further info.
Third, $600 + a BB 8900? you are being hosed. Gently, but it's happening.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Hey guys,
First time poster long time reader. I found a rev A macbook air on craigslist and wanted to get everyone's opinion on weather or not it is a good deal. The guy is asking for 600 plus a new blackberry 8900. The macbook comes with a lot of torrented software and in great condition. Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Sergio
600 what? € £ $ ?

How much is a new sim-free Blackberry these days? 300-ish?

So that's about 900-ish - assuming you mean US$ (weakest of the three currencies I mentioned), I'd still swerve it. Torrented software is illegal and there could be all sorts of crap on there, so unless you do the best thing possible and wipe the HD clean with the install disk, it's 'value' is worthless.

A used./refurb rev.B represents a MUCH better investment of your cash.

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
Veinticinco, the currency is US. Thank you all for the replies, I will go ahead and pass. The guy doesn't even have the disk to reinstall the OS. He wanted me to get it from a torrent site.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Just the mba alone is worth 700. The blkberry 8900 worths 225. Total would be 925. $600 is a hell of a deal. Get it if its legitimate. Dont worry about the software stuff. It doesnt matter. As long as everything works and looks good. Make sure its not a scam

macbookproFTW!

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Um he has to give him the blackberry he doesn't receive it.

I would pass on it simply because its a bad deal, not because of all the torrented software. A clean HD wipe should be done whenever purchasing a computer to makes sure that the seller isn't getting sent your paypal passwords and credit card numbers.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I have a Rev. A and have had no issues with it. With Snow Leopard, it flies. The biggest problems are video and the hard disk. I don't use it often with watching movies, and the disk access time leaves a lot to be desired. I would definitely inspect it thoroughly and play with it before you make any decisions.

I'm assuming that's 600 and you're throwing in an 8900?

Honestly, if I was buying ANYTHING right now, it would probably be a new 13" MBP, with FireWire and an SD card slot (and more than one USB port) it's great. Save your money (and your BB), and get a MBP.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have a Rev. A and have had no issues with it. With Snow Leopard, it flies. The biggest problems are video and the hard disk. I don't use it often with watching movies, and the disk access time leaves a lot to be desired. I would definitely inspect it thoroughly and play with it before you make any decisions.

I'm assuming that's 600 and you're throwing in an 8900?

Honestly, if I was buying ANYTHING right now, it would probably be a new 13" MBP, with FireWire and an SD card slot (and more than one USB port) it's great. Save your money (and your BB), and get a MBP.

You have a major loss of capabilities from Snow Leopard on an original MBA. The Intel 3100 does NOT take advantage of OpenCL which the rev B/C will with the Nvidia 9400m. The newer MBAs are monumentally better with Snow Leopard! The whole point of Snow Leopard is in the newer MBAs and NOT in the original.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
You have a major loss of capabilities from Snow Leopard on an original MBA. The Intel 3100 does NOT take advantage of OpenCL which the rev B/C will with the Nvidia 9400m. The newer MBAs are monumentally better with Snow Leopard! The whole point of Snow Leopard is in the newer MBAs and NOT in the original.

That totally depends on what you're using it for. I use mine for research, surfing the net, creating documents, giving and creating presentations, and occasionally recording a podcast. OpenCL isn't going to help a WHOLE lot with that, besides, the programs I use would have to be rewritten to take advantage of OpenCL.

Most people tout OpenCL as giving significant speed increases for everything, but I don't think that will be the case for some time to come. Snow Leopard IS faster in many ways, so there's no "major loss of capabilities." Besides, I have an iMac for heavy lifting.

I can tell you Snow Leopard helps as I have used it for a while now. The speed increases it offers are well worth the $29, so I have to disagree with you that "the whole point of Snow Leopard is in the newer Macs." Quite the contrary, it helps a ton on the original. Being 64bit, with Grand Central Dispatch, a Cocoa based Finder, ect. I'm loving it!

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
The more time I spend on this forum, the more I start to believe I'm the only person in the world with a problem free rev. A that I'm completly happy with. Sure it would be nice if flash worked a little better, but flash and Apple have never really got along well.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
The more time I spend on this forum, the more I start to believe I'm the only person in the world with a problem free rev. A that I'm completly happy with. Sure it would be nice if flash worked a little better, but flash and Apple have never really got along well.

That makes two of us. I think people don't realize that what they hear on these boards is mostly the people with problems. My MBA rev A has been golden. But alas, it seems that people don't realize that you aren't hearing people sing the praises of a product because you get some very cynical and sarcastic remarks.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
That makes two of us. I think people don't realize that what they hear on these boards is mostly the people with problems. My MBA rev A has been golden. But alas, it seems that people don't realize that you aren't hearing people sing the praises of a product because you get some very cynical and sarcastic remarks.

you two must be living in alaska.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004

+1 :)

Rev A owner and it's the best laptop I've had (that includes MacBooks/PBs/iBooks, etc). And mine's a refurb to boot. :p

gooddeal

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
PA

No problem here for both me and my brother.:apple:

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I never had a problem with my two A's at all .

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
you two must be living in alaska.

You betcha! Gosh darn it, the good citizens of Alaska can see Russia from their houses dontcha ya know. I'm privileged to say that I own a MacBook Air in Alaska, and I'm proud of both. Thank you and God bless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.