Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvingentry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
I am using a Canon Hf 100 camera. The amount of options, when exporting, is totally beyond me. My main desire is to have best quality on dvd. I would also like to know the best setting for posting on Youtube. Thanks. By the way, I use "quicktime conversion."

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I am using a Canon Hf 100 camera. The amount of options, when exporting, is totally beyond me. My main desire is to have best quality on dvd. I would also like to know the best setting for posting on Youtube. Thanks. By the way, I use "quicktime conversion."

For DVD using iDVD: just export the video to Quicktime Movie and drag and drop the resulting movie into iMovie. ( Since DVDs are SD video, don't be shocked by the reduced video quality )

For youtube, use quicktime conversion and the H.264 codec. There are tons of tutorials out there.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If you're exporting for DVD, don't use Quicktime Conversion. Export to Quicktime Movie, using "Current Settings" (which will match your sequence settings). Bring the resulting file into iDVD and it will handle the rest.

Alternatively, if you're using Final Cut Pro*(as opposed to Express), you should encode the DVD video and audio streams with Compressor, as you will typically get better results. There are presets for different quality levels built in or your can customize your own. Then, you can bring those files into iDVD or DVDSP (for Pro) to author the DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.