Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darthboarder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Oklahoma
I have a G5 dual 1.8 power PC...Bought some ram put it in & booted up. Then a red light came on the logic board behind the power button. The machine wouldn't turn on....I called apple care & we rearranged the ram, now the red light is gone but my system still won't boot up. The white power light blinks every few seconds...
the apple store told me sorry can't help because your machine is vintage... ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Even if my logic board is fried is there a place to buy one on the cheap?

Darthboarder

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Does your G5 have 4 or 8 memory slots?

What type of ram did you try installing and were you installing it in pairs(meaning same type and size?)
Did you buy the right ram? PC2700 or PC3200 is probably the most compatible and cheapest to install in there.

Darthboarder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Oklahoma
pc 3200

pc 3200 from crucialmemory.com... installed in pairs. it should be the correct type...it doesn't do anything...machine powers on but never starts the OS
Does your G5 have 4 or 8 memory slots?

What type of ram did you try installing and were you installing it in pairs(meaning same type and size?)
Did you buy the right ram? PC2700 or PC3200 is probably the most compatible and cheapest to install in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.