PDA

View Full Version : What I want to see in 10.4 and a new xcode version(from a programmer standpoint)

NusuniAdmin
Jun 10, 2004, 05:26 PM
I hope in 10.4 apple adds the ability for programmers to make the scrollover-text over the app icon in the dock colored, as well as being able to change the text. This would be pretty nifty. Programmers should also be able to add other info the text over the dock like the current window or wutever. I understand you can pretty much do this with the dock contextual menu thing but adding this ability in too would be AWSOME!

Try to make the next version of xcode faster than codewarrior :D

uhhhhh...... Make an easy way for your app to communicate with iLife apps (does this count as an os x thing?), can you do this already?

Be able to add start tasks to new xcode, like so when xcode starts interface builder starts. I dont know how many times i have had to work on a NIB file and wish that interface builder auto started..thats 4-5 second wait is just enough time for me to forget what i wanted to do, not sure if that ever happens to you...Not sure if theres a way to do this...is there? Yes i know clicking thing down in dock is not so hard...but come on i want automatic things!!

uhh what else...dunno...any other ideas?

bousozoku
Jun 10, 2004, 06:53 PM
It looks as though you want them to change the dock, not Xcode, to allow you to display coloured text, etc. You could create a dock alternative. Xcode has nothing to do with it.

As far as making it faster than CodeWarrior, if everyone is willing to pay $399, I'm sure Apple will oblige. :D

NusuniAdmin
Jun 10, 2004, 11:17 PM
It looks as though you want them to change the dock, not Xcode, to allow you to display coloured text, etc. You could create a dock alternative. Xcode has nothing to do with it.

As far as making it faster than CodeWarrior, if everyone is willing to pay $399, I'm sure Apple will oblige. :D

Lol i did not say xcode for the dock, i said make a way in 10.4 for programmers to do that :P But wait codewarrror is 400 dollars....wtf i thought it was around photoshop's price (like 650-700)

robbieduncan
Jun 11, 2004, 02:20 AM
I hope in 10.4 apple adds the ability for programmers to make the scrollover-text over the app icon in the dock colored, as well as being able to change the text. This would be pretty nifty. Programmers should also be able to add other info the text over the dock like the current window or wutever. I understand you can pretty much do this with the dock contextual menu thing but adding this ability in too would be AWSOME!
Sure, as long as the user can turn it off (the coloured text and what not). And not at an Application level either, but one preference for the dock that simply stops this API doing anything. I don't want the text in other colours. I don't want other text when I mouse over the icon. If you want to use the dock to display information then badge the dock icon. It's really easy.

Try to make the next version of xcode faster than codewarrior :D
As Apple seem to use CodeWarrior as a benchmark I'm sure their trying their best on this one.

uhhhhh...... Make an easy way for your app to communicate with iLife apps (does this count as an os x thing?), can you do this already?
Depending on what you are trying to do AppleScript can be used (from within the app).

Be able to add start tasks to new xcode, like so when xcode starts interface builder starts. I dont know how many times i have had to work on a NIB file and wish that interface builder auto started..thats 4-5 second wait is just enough time for me to forget what i wanted to do, not sure if that ever happens to you...Not sure if theres a way to do this...is there? Yes i know clicking thing down in dock is not so hard...but come on i want automatic things!!
Instead of this why not simply write an AppleScript to start both and put it in your Dock?

NusuniAdmin
Jun 11, 2004, 07:59 AM
Instead of this why not simply write an AppleScript to start both and put it in your Dock?

You know wut...i forgot about applescript....lol.