PDA

View Full Version : What defines a Web Developer?

Dal123
Jul 22, 2009, 12:06 PM
What actually defines a web developer compared to a web designer.
Rumor is that a developer gets paid far more than a web designer, which considering a recent post I would have thought web designers get paid more (300 for a 4 page website, which I think is poor money). I'm earning more than that in construction game, which you could train a monkey to do :p.

Fuchal
Jul 22, 2009, 12:13 PM
What actually defines a web developer compared to a web designer.
Rumor is that a developer gets paid far more than a web designer, which considering a recent post I would have thought web designers get paid more (300 for a 4 page website, which I think is poor money). I'm earning more than that in construction game, which you could train a monkey to do :p.

Programming :)

Dal123
Jul 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
Could you define "programming" :confused:?

SrWebDeveloper
Jul 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
Programming as in knowing server side scripting in conjunction with database connectivity and management to "develop" a dynamic and fully functional web site. Web developers are programmers for the Internet, among many other disciplines which might involve graphic design, system administration, knowledge of DNS and routing in some cases (network engineering), business analytics, search engine optimization, accessibility standards, W3C best practices, web browser compatibility issues, working with users, groups, file permissions, ownership, wireless technologies, PDA's, prototyping, broadband issues including mulitmedia streaming and compression, security issues both client and server side, backup contingencies, knowledge of shell programming and scheduling tasks (crontab), and some other ***** I'm sure others will be more than happy to chime in and add to this rather short list.

-jim

Dal123
Jul 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
Is it possible to teach yourself this and obtain freelance work and possibly a job with a firm. Or must you go to university for this. What sort of money do most people on here earn as a web designer/ developer?

angelwatt
Jul 22, 2009, 02:55 PM
Is it possible to teach yourself this and obtain freelance work and possibly a job with a firm. Or must you go to university for this.

Depends on your capability to learn on your own as well as marketing yourself and your skill set. Having a degree (not even necessarily web-related) will allow you to get higher paying gigs in most cases.

SrWebDeveloper
Jul 22, 2009, 05:25 PM
Is it possible to teach yourself this and obtain freelance work and possibly a job with a firm. Or must you go to university for this. What sort of money do most people on here earn as a web designer/ developer?

Not only is it possible, the best developers do much of the painful process of researching, making mistakes and learning by doing it on their own time. They learn alternate ways of doing things, have more time to fiddle. They also might earn a few certifications along the way which also looks nice on the resume'. I am not bashing good professors or organized higher education by any means, that's essential for life experience, lab work, the social aspects of it, learning strict syntax and history, etc. As well as for the paycheck down the line, of course. On a side note, this advice could be given for almost any occupation, but when it comes to Internet and computers, considering the huge open source community and the low cost of broadband and hardware, starting early and on your own is not only advised, but it's probably already occured.

As to how much money you can make, it depends on experience, skills as well as location and type of work being done. I know you want a figure, so I suggest you research this on your own at a well known Salary Search web site like this one. (http://www.indeed.com/salary) Search by keyword and state and see mean average salaries and other compensations.

My fingers are bleeding, away I go.

-jim