Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I have 2 questions about my new site I made. First of all, this is the first site I have ever made so bear with me. :D

http://www.shaunlavery.com

Overall it has been ok I guess but I see some improvents that can be made but I just dont know how do it. I dont even know what to search to read.

1. I need a way for my site to expand/contract to each person's display/browser. I have no clue how to do this. I am running 1440X900 and everything is ok bc, well, I made it on my mac. When I go to my 12" ibook I get some of the issues that you guys are talking about.

2. I dont know how to keep the logo still while you scroll. Ex. You click on a link and start looking at pictures. You get to the end and then to get back you have to scroll all the way back. Ugh! I hate it but I dont know how to fix it. Also, I like simplicity of the user scrolling manually. This enables them to pause for a second or two if an image strikes them and not have to worry about how to play, pause or resume some type of player.

Those are my main issues, to me at least. If I have to start from scratch, well, so be it.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Ok, I just tried something I read. I read that you have to design your site to the lowest resolution you expect your people will be using. So, I did 800x600 and it looked tiny on my MBP. I am running 1440x900 and it just looked tiny.

I'm not sure what to do other than leave it alone.

Roquefort

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
U.S. west coast
One choice is to scale the images, so a site visitor with a smaller display sees smaller versions of the images but the same shape page. That's more trouble than the other choices below.

Another choice is to show small images to everyone, but put more space between them on a wide display.

If you want to keep the images rather large, another choice is to stack the images vertically, rather than horizontally, so visitors scroll up and down (which they are used to) and not left and right (which many find annoying). Instead of this:
image1 image2 image3 image4​
visitors will see this:
image1
image2
image3
image4​

A third choice is to let the images flow, rather than putting them in a table, so users with wider screens see two images across, e.g.,:
image1 image2
image3 image4​
while visitors with narrower display see one image across, e.g.,:
image1
image2
image3
image4​
To see what I mean, change your window width to make this post wide or skinny and see how these images adjust:

macmini.jpg
110px-iPodNano4.jpg
macmini.jpg
110px-iPodNano4.jpg
macmini.jpg
110px-iPodNano4.jpg

If visitors scroll up and down instead of left and right, it's less important to try to fix the position of the logo. It'll just scroll off the top when they scroll the page down, which is how most websites work.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Horizontal scrolling is considered a major no-no in web design. What you want but don't know the name of is called a "Fluid Layout".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.