Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverwhalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
seoul
all the programs i found were capable only of controlling minimum fan speed.
but i want to set maximum speed.
how can i set max speed of fan in windows xp running bootcamp?

i found some tweak for smcfancontrol to set max speed, but it seemd to be for mac os x.
model id : macbook 5,2.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Overall, it's a bad idea to set an artificial maximum fan speed.

If the computer starts getting too hot, it won't be able to reliably cool itself. This is even worse in Windows, because Windows causes the MacBooks to run a fair bit hotter than in OS X.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
The fan is there for a reason. If it speeds up, it means your CPU is already getting hot. Setting a max speed could send the temperature soaring and fry something.

silverwhalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
seoul
hm

my macbook is not that hot.
idle : 50C.

i think 4500rpm would keep the temp of macbook at around 70C.
and 70C is not that dangerous..is it?

all my jobs, such as internet search, viewing pdf, listening to music and so on, can be run at idle. but sometimes i want to play games such as wow. that's why i installed windows, even though i compute on ubuntu almost all day.
mac os : for update on firmware
windows : for games
ubuntu : for computing
hahahah....:p

when i boot into windows and play wow, fan goes crazy while the temp was not that high, about 60C. so i think 4500 or 5000 rpm would be enough to keep macbook cool.

you guys don't play games? :D i don't often game, but once a week. and i am afraid of crazy noise of fan. my macbook fan might get broken with full speed. :D.. and my 9400m graphic chip might feel to play games. he was born to run games.. haha.. in my opinion.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
fan goes crazy while the temp was not that high, about 60C. so i think 4500 or 5000 rpm would be enough to keep macbook cool.

You don't understand, the high fan speed is what is keeping the temperature low.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The fans don't even kick up from 2000rpm until you're CPU diode temperature crosses past 67-72C or so. (At least in the OS X environment)

Dont' muck around with it, it's fine as is.

you guys don't play games? i don't often game, but once a week. and i am afraid of crazy noise of fan. my macbook fan might get broken with full speed. .. and my 9400m graphic chip might feel to play games. he was born to run games.. haha.. in my opinion.
You seem not to have a grasp as to how the fans in your computer work. If you turn them down, the GPU and CPU will both heat up far more than they already do. Heat causes failure of these parts, neither of which will be covered by your warranty if/when they find out you limited the maximum fan speed. The fan won't break under full load, at least no sooner than your CPU/GPU may fry without the fan doing it's proper job. I don't see how in any way/shape/form having the fan running will prevent your GPU from performing well; if anything it will perform better with the fan running fast.

Bottom line: Heat is the biggest internal enemy of your computer system. Externally, liquid spills and drops I'd say.

jjcol

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
With Vista you need to reduce fan speed

Despite all the reasons given for not setting a maximum fan speed, it seems to me that running vista with all the latest ms updates, the fan speed is a problem. The fan speed just consistently runs at around 6000 rpm, from the time you boot up until the time you shut it down, even if you are doing nothing on the computer. I've gone through and disabled all background services that seem not to be absolutely necessary, and still the fan on my white 13" macbook is running at 6000 rpm when I am not doing anything (as well as when I am).

So if anyone knows of a way of setting a maximum fan speed for a mac running vista, I would greatly appreciate it (NB you can't even hear the fan running OSX, but it is kind of deafening as soon as you boot into Vista). If setting a maximum fries my Mac, I'll take responsibility for that. I'd still like to know if there is a way to do it.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Something is causing your fans to ramp up when you enter Vista. Have you checked the configuration editor in Vista to see what programs and processes are starting when you boot into Vista? From RUN type in "msconfig.exe" and look for the offending programs. I'm running Win 7 Home Premium and the only time my fans are blowing hard is when I'm playing games - which is expected.

Regards.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Despite all the reasons given for not setting a maximum fan speed, it seems to me that running vista with all the latest ms updates, the fan speed is a problem. The fan speed just consistently runs at around 6000 rpm, from the time you boot up until the time you shut it down, even if you are doing nothing on the computer. I've gone through and disabled all background services that seem not to be absolutely necessary, and still the fan on my white 13" macbook is running at 6000 rpm when I am not doing anything (as well as when I am).

So if anyone knows of a way of setting a maximum fan speed for a mac running vista, I would greatly appreciate it (NB you can't even hear the fan running OSX, but it is kind of deafening as soon as you boot into Vista). If setting a maximum fries my Mac, I'll take responsibility for that. I'd still like to know if there is a way to do it.
Did you make sure to update your BootCamp drivers? I never had a fan speed problem in Windows via BootCamp.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
all the programs i found were capable only of controlling minimum fan speed.
but i want to set maximum speed.
how can i set max speed of fan in windows xp running bootcamp?

i found some tweak for smcfancontrol to set max speed, but it seemd to be for mac os x.
model id : macbook 5,2.

When you enter Boot Camp, your fan speed will be defaulted to the level of rpm you set it up with smcFanControl. If you set it up at highest (6200rpm), then Win7 will boot into that and not go higher. Anything lower (say 2800rpm) will boot into that (2800rpm) and go higher when temps rise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.