Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LucasArts recently released a Special Edition of their classic adventure game Secret of Monkey Island for the Xbox and PC. The modern refresh brings much improved graphics, new musical score and voice-over acting to the 19 year old game. The game has gotten favorable reviews since it's release.

Tonight, LucasArts released an iPhone version of the game into the App Store for $7.99. First impressions of the game from TouchArcade.com reveal it to be a solid port with all the same features of the console and PC versions. A gameplay of the iPhone version is provided:

App Store Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324741347&mt=8

Article Link: LucasArts Releases 'Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition' for iPhone

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Monkey Island is up!!!!

Downloading now. 351MB. EVERYONE GET THIS, to encourage Lucasarts to bring The Dig, and Sam and Max etc to the iPhone. W00t!!

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Really enjoyed Monkey Island many years ago. And I was thinking about buying it for my iPhone but the AUD price is $9.99. :eek: That's more than I'm happy to pay for this game. Perhaps there will be a Mac OS version for iMac's / MacBooks.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Really enjoyed Monkey Island many years ago. And I was thinking about buying it for my iPhone but the AUD price is $9.99. :eek: That's more than I'm happy to pay for this game. Perhaps there will be a Mac OS version for iMac's / MacBooks.

I am also waiting for a native OSX Version.

What I don't get is that it seems to be easy to port those games to the iPhone. At the same time nobody is caring about putting out a Mac version of the game - strange. :confused:

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
I had been playing a lot of these games on my old hacked iPhone using ScummVM. I would rather see native versions of Zak McCracken and Maniac Mansion. Those games are amazing. I am very curious to see how this one holds up. I'll probably be waiting for a price drop before testing the waters.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

Damn 10 bucks :p
I'm an Aussie and just purchased it. Classic game!

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Just picked it up from the UK store on my iPhone... £4.99 and took forever to download/install but worth it :)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I am soooo afraid to see how much this is... maybe i should go check the debit card balance first! LOL!!

ETA: $7.99. Ouch. I can't do it right now.... not that it wouldn't be worth it, just can't do that right now. Maybe when i get my refund on Splash Shopper desktop....

stevenz

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
Wellington, NZ
Is it an "iPhone" version, or an iPhone and iPod Touch version?

The iPod touch does exist y'know. Most of the same stuff runs on it, stop announcing products as for "iPhone" when they run perfectly well on both units.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I think I'll be buying this game. I loved it back when it was first released.

The iPod touch does exist y'know. Most of the same stuff runs on it, stop announcing products as for "iPhone" when they run perfectly well on both units.

Well, considering that this was posted in the iPhone forum, you should expect it to be announced this way. Also, there's really no reason to say that it's also for the iPod Touch... that's just common sense.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I'm gonna have to purchase this. I never played it when I was younger. I've always heard it is great. And I don't see them ever having a sale on this game. Actually the price may increase.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006

It really boils down to the OPERATING system doesnt it?
Windows (PC/Xbox, which it is out on)
Apple OSX (Mac, not yet)
IPHONE OS (iphone/ipod touch, just out! )

There you have it!:apple:

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
I LOVE Monkey Island, next to Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 2 is my favourite game of all time!

I've been playing this special edition on the 360 and it really is an excellent and lovingly made port.

I just hope this is well received so LucasArts decide to give the same treatment to Monkey Island 2.

devildog820

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Plays nicely. The two-finger swipe to switch to classic mode works well. In fact, classic mode is easier on the iPhone because you can tap exactly where you need to go, no targeting a mouse cursor.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I bought this last night, and put in some time playing it and I can safely say that if you enjoyed the game many years ago then you'll definitely enjoy this. Well worth the $8, and if you're interested in seeing re-releases of any other LucasArts adventure games then I strongly recommend buying this even if you aren't all that interested. The sales of this game will probably impact the chances of them releasing any of their other adventure titles.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London

the ipod touch is a secondary product, it would not be if it wasnt for the iphone, it uses the iphone OS and its pretty obvious that a game made for iphone is gonna work on a touch without having to say iphone and ipod touch every time.

tadunne

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Birmingham UK

It's 4.99 ukp over here in the England, 4.99 you can pay that for a fancy burger meal at Mac Donald's over here. It's nothing! it's well worth the price!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.