Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
I know it's a weird thread but i was wondering what everyones opinion is on this topic.I have watched clips of apple ads I always see the teenie boopers with the ibooks and the dads and big brothers have the powerbook.If i offended anyone im sorry.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
JERK!

Just kidding. Well, if iBook makes me look teeny-bopper, that's fine with me. I just turned 28 and need all the help I can get! haha... I know i know... im young yet, but I'm not 16 anymore...

I guess you could consider the iBook a little feminine, but... I don't care :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Heh, feminine or not, it's the cheaper of the 'Books and at this point in my life, cheap is good. I don't do enough serious graphics stuff on the road to justify buying a PowerBook, so the iBook is what I'll eventually be getting. My PowerMac will stay at home doing the big stuff.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
sethwerkheiser said:
I guess you could consider the iBook a little feminine, but... I don't care :)
I think it's more of a kiddy-style look they're going for, but I don't care. My old iBook SE (first ever laptop) is still IMHO the best looking laptop I've had so far.
I was proper proud to see everyone glaring with those green eyes :)

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Im interested in buying a powerbook or an ibook.I wont be testing the limits much like serious number crunching.I just dont want a kid say "hey like omigod thats soooo cute. :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm...I did buy mine based in part on looks (vs. a PB, iBook or PB vs. a Dell, etc), so I'm officially offended by this. :p

But I think there are also at least a lot of print ads for the iBook that show it in homes with fashionista 20-somethings types of both genders. The male subcategory of which I try to fit into. :)

And the iBook looks a LOT less kiddy now than the first generation Tangerine!!! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh, what I meant to say in terms of looks, a small factor for me in iBook over PB was that it matched the accessories I wanted / had more (iPod, my phone, AEBS) than a PB does. :) I guess if I didn't want an iPod, did want an iSight, and I had a phone that wasn't white, I'd have gone PB. But I am kinda girlie.

But I will say both guy and girl friends of mine have complimented the iBook's looks, although probably more girls. But especially next to a Dell or Compaq with a normal aspect ratio 15" screen...then its like the cuteness of a Mini next to an H2. You just can't resist....

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
mkrishnan said:
Oh, what I meant to say in terms of looks, a small factor for me in iBook over PB was that it matched the accessories I wanted
See, that's interesting, because I've recently got a brushed metal desk, an Alu Lian-li desktop and a Canon S400, ready for my new PB.

Damn, we're a fickle bunch.
Or is it just me??

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
brap said:
See, that's interesting, because I've recently got a brushed metal desk, an Alu Lian-li desktop and a Canon S400, ready for my new PB.

Damn, we're a fickle bunch.
Or is it just me??

Yeah, after all that I got a Canon S50 which doesn't match *anything* :( And ummm, we're not fickle, just high standards. :D But I don't think my next cell phone, based on what I'm interested in, will match -- tentatively I want the next gen Nokia that replaces the 3650/7650 (7610?). So I'll either need a new faceplate in white or I'll need new iSkins for my iBook and iPod.

Okay, this is getting way too high maintenance. :p

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
I'm a 41-year-old male and I think the iBook looks cool. I think it is made to appeal to everyone (who likes shiny plastic, anyway), while say the IBM ThinkPad is aimed at a more masculine, aesthetically-deprived audience.

No, the iBook is not only targeted at women. This is targeted solidly at women.

Crikey

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
I think you can get that skin from macskinz or something.they have a nice variety

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
What they really need to do is offer either finish for either model. I have a 12" PB, and I would have paid more money to have a "bullet proof" case. However, if I could get a powerbook with a piano black iBook finish then I might just have to offer Steve Jobs my first born.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nothing castrates a male quicker than being seen with a free flower power or blue dalmation iMac in their dorm room.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i think the ibook is just geared toward the home user and possible a younger generation, and that the powerbooks are geared toward pro users and business users. i mean would you want to bring an ibook to a company meeting? some might but the powerbooks just has the look of being more professional to me.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i (the girl) have a powerbook, my brother (male) has an ibook. despite the fact that i think he is insanely jealous of my machine, it has nothing to do with looks. both computers are beautifully designed and both can be said to be feminine, in fact the whole "designer look computer" idea in my mind is aimed more at females than males. that said apple is a special case. some buy the computers of the OS, some for the looks and people like me for both.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
I live in a city where every Starbucks has at least three laptop users if not more all working away--and I can say that on average, most of the women have Powerbooks.

I don't see that many iBooks--I assume because most of these folk have the money to buy powerbooks--but those that I do see are pretty evenly split between male and female.

I suppose, commercial wise, advertisers might think that guys prefer manly silver to plastic white. And that girls, teens, would like white plastic on which to paste pastel flowers?

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
cool!

No, the iBook is not only targeted at women. This is targeted solidly at women.

any chance of seeing photos of the in-between stage...after the white and before the pink? A completely transparent iBook would be remarkably cool indeed! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.