Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144356-ipod_cases_500.jpg

Cult of Mac gathers an extensive gallery of cases from Chinese manufacturers claimed to be for the next-generation iPod touch and iPod nano. Cases for both devices feature holes in their backs that appear to provide openings for built-in cameras in the forthcoming models. The collection of cases follows discovery earlier this month of the first of these cases appearing on the market.

Third-party cases have been mixed indicators of future Apple product revisions in the past, with iPhone 3G cases accurately reflecting the design that was ultimately released, while cases for a rumored "iPhone nano" have obviously not yet been met with a corresponding product release from Apple.

Hardmac suggested in mid-May that both the iPod touch and iPod nano would see cameras added in their next revision in September of this year, and the iPod nano cases appearing in recent weeks are consistent with an artist's rendition developed by iLounge in late May based on their sources regarding the next-generation device. Wired also claimed in recent days that the next-generation iPod touch will have a video camera and microphone.

While case manufacturers have in the past reportedly received detailed specs of forthcoming devices from Apple's manufacturing partners in Asia, MacRumors has also been told previously that case manufacturers do occasionally develop case designs based on prevailing rumors and "best guesses" in hopes of being correct and therefore being able to offer cases for Apple's next-generation devices immediately upon their launch.

With Apple refusing to offer these manufacturers advance notice of its upcoming designs and the uncertain nature of other possible leaks, case manufacturers are sometimes left to choose between taking a calculated risk on investing in cases designed merely on rumored specs and the alternative of waiting until the products officially launch, at which point case design and production would likely lead to considerable lost time in the market. Consequently, whether the numerous consistent case designs available now are based on actual leaked specs or are simply the result of the many manufacturers all focusing in on an early "best guess" design remains unknown.

Article Link: More Purported Next-Generation iPod Touch and iPod Nano Cases Surface

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wonder if the iPod Touch will get that 5mp camera that was rumored awhile back. Not that it matters with the crappy lens, but HD video would be a nice feature.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I wonder if the iPod Touch will get that 5mp camera that was rumored awhile back. Not that it matters with the crappy lens, but HD video would be a nice feature.

I'd really really really doubt it. They're not going to make the iPhone's camera/video capabilities obsolete a month after it came out.

I'm surprised the nano's getting one though.

I wonder if it will be 3.0mp like the iPod touch's is though, probably.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Yay! A camera! I think it's interesting that they're keeping the 802.11 antenna in that certain spot though... it looks strange.

a13x

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
It's a shame I have my 32GB iPod Touch...I'm skipping this generation. :rolleyes:

NeighbrhoodPush

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
This seems perfectly plausible!! Apple going after Flip and Creative's compact video recorder market share. Been holding off purchasing one of these for a while now, iPod Touch with HD camera would def. seal the deal...

Jabbamk1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
London, England
I can see the point of a Camera on the iPod touch but why the iPod nano, its not exactly got bluetooth or internet connectivity. You would have to transfer the photos manually using a cable. Plus the screen isn't exactky that big or high res to view pictures with.

If the nano gets a camera, i can see it being sold at the same price because apple will not update the HD space which has become a lot more affordable recently.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
wowow..... this will be gr8!!! if the iphone dosent come to verizon... this is my next option....
Same with me. I'm due for a new phone in May from Verizon, and if there isn't an iPhone option I'll get a touch to replace my 3rd gen iPod. If nothing else, I hope they bump up the capacities in the Touch to 16, 32, 64Gb

Jabbamk1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
London, England
no chance that apple are going to upgrade the HD space now that they have put cameras in. even if they do the price will be considerably higher and most people will not buy it at that price.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
I may have to shower with my iPod touch to give me a reason to buy a new one. But I need to save the little money I make with eHow for a uMPB. Uh oh... D:

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I can see the point of a Camera on the iPod touch but why the iPod nano, its not exactly got bluetooth or internet connectivity. You would have to transfer the photos manually using a cable. Plus the screen isn't exactky that big or high res to view pictures with.

If the nano gets a camera, i can see it being sold at the same price because apple will not update the HD space which has become a lot more affordable recently.

You have to transfer the photos on my iPhone with a cable as well. Unless you email them...so I don't see the issue.

I think this is a great improvement. I also want one of those Flip cameras, but I will probably wait until I am eligible to upgrade to a 3GS. But if the nano get video (which I doubt), I'd probably get one of those right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.