PDA

View Full Version : Google Latitude Web App for iPhone Now Available

MacRumors
Jul 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/23/google-latitude-web-app-for-iphone-now-available/)

Google today announced (http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2009/07/google-latitude-now-for-iphone.html) that it has launched Google Latitude (http://www.google.com/latitude/) for the iPhone and iPod touch. Google Latitude, which runs as a web app in Safari, utilizes GPS and Wi-Fi geolocation to display the real-time location of a user's friends and to allow others to track their location. Privacy settings allow users to customize which contacts are permitted to see their location.

To try Google Latitude, type google.com/latitude into your iPhone's browser. And if you miss the experience of launching the app directly from your home screen, you can add a bookmark to the home screen (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=156156) by opening Latitude in Safari and tapping the + icon > Add to Home Screen > Add.

Google also reveals that Apple requested that Latitude be offered as a web app rather than a standalone application in order to reduce confusion with the standard Maps application available on the iPhone.

We worked closely with Apple to bring Latitude to the iPhone in a way Apple thought would be best for iPhone users. After we developed a Latitude application for the iPhone, Apple requested we release Latitude as a web application in order to avoid confusion with Maps on the iPhone, which uses Google to serve maps tiles.

Finally, Google notes that due to Apple's restriction on background applications, Google Latitude is unable to provide continuous location updates as it does on other mobile platforms, although it does automatically refresh locations upon launching and while open.

Google Latitude for the iPhone and iPod touch requires iPhone OS 3.0 and is now available in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and it have plans to extend the service to other countries in the near future.

Article Link: Google Latitude Web App for iPhone Now Available (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/23/google-latitude-web-app-for-iphone-now-available/)

MBHockey
Jul 23, 2009, 08:00 PM
Weak. On Apple's part.

neilgehrke
Jul 23, 2009, 08:27 PM
Doesn't work. Followed directions given, latitude tab in google has an all white blank page only. lame:mad:

GoCubsGo
Jul 23, 2009, 08:29 PM
That is BS. Apple's Map app is google maps and yet Latitude is going to be web based? Weak is right.

dukebound85
Jul 23, 2009, 08:34 PM
its slow and choppy compared to maps

hazza.jockel
Jul 23, 2009, 08:35 PM
Why can't they just integrate it into the standard map app? Maybe in 3.1?

pauld
Jul 23, 2009, 08:59 PM

Exactly. It's an awesome idea, but totally pointless in it's current state.

ogdogg
Jul 23, 2009, 09:10 PM

It also needs to update your location when you access/fetch the built in email app.

spillproof
Jul 23, 2009, 09:13 PM
Great, another thing that wants to track me! Leave me alone! :)

omahajim
Jul 23, 2009, 09:30 PM
removed

150hp
Jul 23, 2009, 10:12 PM
Really? Too confusing. So much for using this.

snowpuff
Jul 23, 2009, 10:57 PM
utter fail! i sent a tweet back to googlemaps (they are the ones who announced it today) saying that they were weak for giving in. this doesnt make any sense as a webapp... it should have been integrated into maps and connected to your contacts, etc etc (as others have said)

for everything google does -right- they do much -wrong-

danpass
Jul 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
the moment the phone rings you're off the grid.

being on the grid is the point of the "app" lol :rolleyes:

WiRi1113
Jul 23, 2009, 11:17 PM
I agree with all the above (and probably below) comments, this version of Latitude is a complete weak-sauce. Sticking to Hey, Where Are You (HeyWAY) app for now.

GoCubsGo
Jul 23, 2009, 11:24 PM
utter fail! i sent a tweet back to googlemaps (they are the ones who announced it today) saying that they were weak for giving in. this doesnt make any sense as a webapp... it should have been integrated into maps and connected to your contacts, etc etc (as others have said)

for everything google does -right- they do much -wrong-

Hey buddy read the article. It was Apple and their forceful nature of making google turn this into a web app so as to not compete with the map app that is powered by google (technically).

bretm
Jul 23, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hey buddy read the article. It was Apple and their forceful nature of making google turn this into a web app so as to not compete with the map app that is powered by google (technically).

Well google thinks web apps are the future for mobile devices and NOT app stores. Uh-huh. Look how well received they are already.

maverick808
Jul 24, 2009, 02:44 AM
The app sucks ass and it's completely Apple's fault for not allowing apps to run in the background. This app is a perfect example of why push notifications will never be able to replace the ability to run in the background, which every other major mobile platform allows. Shame on Apple on this one.

ajnicho
Jul 24, 2009, 04:38 AM
Really? Too confusing. So much for using this.

Latitude could cause confusion yet introducing google earth does not! May be they should have introduced this as part of a google earth update!

Shasterball
Jul 24, 2009, 05:00 AM

Exactly the question I was going to ask. Integration would be the way to go....

Cambrian
Jul 24, 2009, 06:13 AM
This absolutely should be worked into Maps.

My maps get my exact location, but Latitude is half a mile off, and hellish slow!

Come on Apple, get it sorted!

brian5
Jul 24, 2009, 06:17 AM
Doesn't work. Followed directions given, latitude tab in google has an all white blank page only. lame:mad:
I have the same blank page. I've tried all kinds of things but can't get it to work :(

neil1980
Jul 24, 2009, 06:49 AM
Was looking forward to this but without it updating in the background its pretty pointless.

Whos going to leave their iphone in safari all day? the battery is bad enough as it is :(

mdominguezmd
Jul 24, 2009, 09:13 AM
This web app sure doesn't have a "ready for primetime" function. Trying to add friends fails most of the time.

An integrated app would have made much more sense.

I doubt it will be worth the space on my iPhone.

zombitronic
Jul 24, 2009, 09:29 AM
I tried Latitude last night. When I was done I closed Safari but I did not specifically close the Latitude window. I plugged my phone in and went to bed. When I woke up this morning, my phone felt warmer than usual, especially sine it wasn't being used. I was a bit concerned but I unplugged it and went to work. I just checked my phone and it was still warm. My battery is also down to 70% and it was just fully charged an hour and a half ago. I haven't been using the phone. I just closed the window with Latitude and now my phone seems to be cooler. If my battery isn't at 40% in another hour and a half, I think I'm blaming latitude for being a battery vampire. This doesn't make sense to me because:

Google notes that due to Apple's restriction on background applications, Google Latitude is unable to provide continuous location updates as it does on other mobile platforms, although it does automatically refresh locations upon launching and while open.

However, this is the only change in my phone usage. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

imac abuser
Jul 24, 2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah this blows, I've been chomping at the bit for this. Because I'm not 100% happy with loopt, but loopt wins for now. I don't like the web based apps. I want a stand alone app, or intergration into maps that would make it cool!

Apple your sucking lately

michalko.j
Jul 24, 2009, 11:02 AM
Having issues where the map goes all grey when zooming out and zooming back in with full 3G service. Makes it difficult searching for people in other countries. I realize this was just made available and hope to see it more robust in the future.

zombitronic
Jul 24, 2009, 11:14 AM
I tried Latitude last night. When I was done I closed Safari but I did not specifically close the Latitude window. I plugged my phone in and went to bed. When I woke up this morning, my phone felt warmer than usual, especially sine it wasn't being used. I was a bit concerned but I unplugged it and went to work. I just checked my phone and it was still warm. My battery is also down to 70% and it was just fully charged an hour and a half ago. I haven't been using the phone. I just closed the window with Latitude and now my phone seems to be cooler. If my battery isn't at 40% in another hour and a half, I think I'm blaming latitude for being a battery vampire. This doesn't make sense to me because:

Google notes that due to Apple's restriction on background applications, Google Latitude is unable to provide continuous location updates as it does on other mobile platforms, although it does automatically refresh locations upon launching and while open.

However, this is the only change in my phone usage. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

It's been another hour and a half since I closed the Latitude window and my iPhone is now cool to the touch and the battery is only down to 63%. That's with about 15 minutes of 3G Mac Rumors browsing since last time. Is it fair to blame Latitude for this or was this just an unfortunate coincidence?

ogdogg
Jul 24, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have been waiting for this app for months but I will be refusing to use it until 1 of 2 conditions are met. The app must either...

Be a stand alone app.

or

Update your location every time the built in email client fetches your gmail.

I urge everyone else to boycott as well. Loopt is the superior app at the moment and despite Google's claim that this is Apple's fault I can't help but think they're forcing web apps to be the future to help their Android based phones while giving iPhone owners the finger. I may now switch my email to a Yahoo account in protest.

HyperZboy
Jul 24, 2009, 01:53 PM
And to think how fiercely people were arguing and agreeing with Google's public statement that web apps are the wave of the future!

AHHHHahahahahahahahahahahahahha!

I guess Google has settled that argument for the time being all by themselves with this load of crap.
:D

rwskemer
Jul 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
I've encountered an issue with Latitude. If a Google Contact you're adding as multiple Gmail addresses, all email addresses within that contact will be added as "friends" within Latitude. Only one of those Gmail accounts will be actually working, and the other(s) are grayed out, "waiting for approval." If I delete one of the email addresses (friends), all the email addresses from that contact are deleted. Anyone else encountering this? Any ideas?

Xibalba
Jul 24, 2009, 07:49 PM
Great, another thing that wants to track me! Leave me alone! :)

i agree - maybe this would be more useful for me like 15 years ago when i was in college or something and was looking around for friends and such. but now i would prefer not to be tracked everywhere. twitter is good enough for location information and updating people...

ogdogg
Jul 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
i agree - maybe this would be more useful for me like 15 years ago when i was in college or something and was looking around for friends and such. but now i would prefer not to be tracked everywhere. twitter is good enough for location information and updating people...

I couldn't imagine tracking people with this app and I don't care if Google wants to record where I go as long as they keep standing up to the government on privacy issues. I can however see how this would be very useful for finding nearby friends when you're drunk out on the town. The trick is getting everyone to use it, and for that they'll need to integrate it much better for iPhone users.

ntrigue
Jul 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
Clearly, we are a LONG way from Google Maps integration.

The WWDC keynote impressed me. I imagined a Blackberry Messenger meets Loopt meets Apple-esque experience. Perhaps, it's because I am very social but I'd love to find someone is using Latitude at the table next to me.

I absolutely despise Webapps. In fact, I forgot they existed until Latitude was released on Thursday. Why can't this be a function of Google Maps? As is, your 'friends' must be GMAIL users or it crashes.

Shasterball
Jul 26, 2009, 05:31 AM
Interesting, but I don't see everyone jumping on board right away. And it's only useful if a good amount of your friends are on it...

mpeterson78
Jul 26, 2009, 09:54 AM
so is this basically the google version of loopt?

ogdogg
Jul 26, 2009, 06:53 PM
so is this basically the google version of loopt?

Ya, only without the stand alone app, facebook integration, mix, phone book searching or gps accuracy...

GregA
Jul 26, 2009, 10:15 PM
... Update your location every time the built in email client fetches your gmail.

I get that they don't want to waste power on GPS or even a network connection unless necessary - but I'd like to see some smarter GPS options.

eg:
1) Record GPS location centrally every time any app accesses location data
2) Supply that GPS location data to any app that request it.
3) When accessing gmail, app could submit last known location without spinning up the GPS :)

#2 would be useful for iPhoto too. I could take a picture on my regular camera and activate any location-aware app on the iPhone, then later have iTunes merge the iPhoto photos with the iPhone GPS data.

michelle21
Jul 27, 2009, 01:49 PM
I get that they don't want to waste power on GPS
#2 would be useful for iPhoto too. I could take a picture on my regul.

Making this a web app was dumb, but the concept is dumb too, do you really want to be tracked without you knowing. loopt has a better concept, and with APNS it could be better.

As to the photos and gps.

Iphone pictures via anything but the camera app strip the exif info, so no location info unless you use private api's.

Even if it was there the info probably wouldn't be correct.

I am writting a couple apps.

One of them records the gps info along with the photo in core data. And makes the photo and info available for sharing in a number of ways.
iphone to iphone
iphone to webserver
iphone to facebook

But I'm finding I need to take a number of samples to get very precise gps locations. And even then it may be off several meters.

My solution is to allow a correction screen, where the user can move the pin on that is placed on the map to a new location, if the initial position is wrong and than resave the information. Thus the location info recorded in the database is very precise.

I imagine this app will be useful for geotagging and maybe archeological applications. Even there its pretty hard to do this type of touches events with the public mapkit.

So I seriously can't see how a webapp that doesn't even use the gps, just network triangulation can be very useful.

But again, I would never want to use lattitude.

neil1980
Jul 28, 2009, 08:34 AM
Main thing I wanted it for is when you plan to meet up with people.

If your meeting someone at a set time and they arent there, one glance and you can see how far away they are.

Yeah you could send a text or call but if they are driving or something its another distraction which they probably dont need.

Also the getting split up on nights out would be handy... or the time I went ona stag do and turned up late due to work... everyone in a town they didnt know and I was trying to find them going of vague drunken descriptions of buildings... latitiude would have been so much easier but hey, until its native and runs in the background with the map app or something its going to be no use

a1rflow
Jul 28, 2009, 10:40 PM
Umm. I think it's a little overboard. I don't want people stalking me. I tweet enough about my location already. But hey, some people always gotta take it to the next level!

GekkePrutser
Jul 31, 2009, 05:11 AM
This really sucks. It should be integrated in the maps application, the same way it is done in the google maps application for other phones (at least Java and Symbian phones). That way they could also work with Apple to enable automatic updates.

This is useless the way it is now.