PDA

View Full Version : Garageband legal question

Offspring992
Jul 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
I had a question regarding Garageband for all of you here. There is a loop that in Garageband 08 that I would like to use as the intro song for my friend's flash game. Is that legal? This is going to be a game that will be free for anyone to play available on several flash gaming websites. Thanks.

guydude193
Jul 23, 2009, 10:26 PM
As far as I know, Apple's loops are totally free for anybody to use and redistribute.

ChrisA
Jul 23, 2009, 10:38 PM
If you have GB you have a copy of the license. But to answer the question, the licenses if very clear that you CAN use the loops once you incorporate them into anything you make. The only thing they do not allow is reselling them as a collection of loops.

GoCubsGo
Jul 23, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'd be weary and I'd probably be checking my licenses on the loops.

Read up on it here (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2931).

Offspring992
Jul 23, 2009, 11:09 PM
"GarageBand Software. You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

So I think I'm good then, since I'm not redistributing the loops/jingles as another jingle for someone else to use in their work. It's just going to be played at the startup screen for my friend's flash game.

guydude193
Jul 23, 2009, 11:30 PM
To be safe, you could add a track of base to it. Just so Apple doesn't go Hong Kong Fooey on you. :p

mcpryon2
Jul 24, 2009, 02:01 AM
It's kinda funny, after I got into Macs and used Garageband some, I realized just how many commercials on TV and radio use GB samples. A sleep aid commercial came on and I thought my phone was ringing because they used the same music track I have in a ringtone I made.