PDA

View Full Version : Photos of the new 2.5 Ghz PowerMac G5 liquid cooling system

MacBytes
Jun 11, 2004, 11:16 PM
Category: Photos
Link: Photos of the new 2.5 Ghz PowerMac G5 liquid cooling system (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040612001603)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

windowsblowsass
Jun 11, 2004, 11:32 PM
can it be confirmed that theese are real

reaper
Jun 12, 2004, 12:08 AM
Some of these were posted yesterday in another thread. So it seems that, if they aren't real, they are getting around. ;)

- reaper

nagromme
Jun 12, 2004, 12:16 AM
More to the point, does this lay to rest the instant complaining of people who saw the over-simplified diagram on the G5 product page, and believed from that that Apple stupidly send hot liquid from one CPU to the other so that only one CPU gets cooled?

That criticism always struck me as highly unlikely, but this should clear it up... if only I could make sense of that awful mess!

applextrent
Jun 12, 2004, 12:57 AM
These images are REAL. You have my 100% guarantee, and promise. I mean seriously, look at them, how could you "fake" these? They are from an Apple service manual. I highly doubt someone would fake a 178 page PDF containing hundreds of photos, diagrams, walk throughs, and text on a product they most likely have yet to set their hands on.

--Trent L.
CEO of Apple-X.net

0 and A ai
Jun 12, 2004, 01:10 AM
NO THEY ARE FAKE LOOK AT THE SHADOWS THEY ARE ALL WRONG ITS THE WORST PHOTOCHOP OF MADE UP CRAP EVER.

no sarcasm here i swear

now ur confused

but i'm laughing

:D

Trowaman
Jun 12, 2004, 02:35 AM
NO THEY ARE FAKE LOOK AT THE SHADOWS THEY ARE ALL WRONG ITS THE WORST PHOTOCHOP OF MADE UP CRAP EVER.

no sarcasm here i swear

now ur confused

but i'm laughing

:D

Curses . . . I just don't know anymore :cool:

Sabbath
Jun 12, 2004, 06:03 AM
Woah that a serious piece of kit, its must cost plenty all in (design and production) no wonder its only on the 2.5, it does seem that Apple have had to go to a lot of effort to cool those new chips, which I guess might have been what really was holding up these new PMs (ie I know there were yield problems at IBM but they probably could have released a limited supply to begin with, although I guess that would have cut down the profit margin on the 2.0 and 1.8).

szark
Jun 12, 2004, 07:07 AM
More to the point, does this lay to rest the instant complaining of people who saw the over-simplified diagram on the G5 product page, and believed from that that Apple stupidly send hot liquid from one CPU to the other so that only one CPU gets cooled?

That criticism always struck me as highly unlikely, but this should clear it up... if only I could make sense of that awful mess!

No, these pictures actually confirm that the product page diagram is mostly correct. The liquid passes from the radiator, through both CPUs in series, and then back to the radiator through a pump unit (follow the power connector in the final drawing to find the pump).

However, there was a point made over on Ars Technica that it may not be an issue -- as long as the liquid can extract the same amount of heat from each processor, it wouldn't matter if the liquid was a higher temperature over the second CPU.

Can't wait to get mine! (But, unfortunately, I have to. :( )

Mord
Jun 12, 2004, 08:22 AM
I allready posted pictures directly from the apple service manual yesterday here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=75132

I downloaded them straight from the service source

(btw that link dose not work for me :rolleyes: (mines better))

Photorun
Jun 12, 2004, 09:04 AM
Link doesn't work so I followed Hector's link (thanks Hector). That's one crazy effed up shihizzle going on there, all those tubes, man... hope it's all stable.

And I guess those pics posted a couple weeks ago were not fakes, that big solid block-o G5 silver on the outside matches to a T. It was funny because when whomever posted those pics a couple weeks ago we had some people on these here forums whining and crying about how they "could spot Photoshop fakes" and how those were etc. etc. Next time peeps keep yer yaps shut if you really don't know and let time answer the details.

Mord
Jun 12, 2004, 09:08 AM
but the mother board was different the appleinsider one was short and green the one in the service manual is long and blue but deffinatly different to the old one (different circet traces)

(if anyone wants the service manual ask me on ichat hecotuk@mac.com)

Sayer
Jun 12, 2004, 11:05 AM
You shouldn't be handing out the service manual.

The service manual is for trained techs to use, not average ordinary people. All it will do is cause someone somewhere to take their G5 apart, lose some screws deep inside or break something and have a dead $2500-3000 computer and no warranty repair option.

Based on the images and the manual you could easily destroy the CPU module at best or the whole computer at worse with a leaking liquid cooling system.

This is more about bragging rights than anything. I too have the manual, but I am not posting the images all over my website to get more hits (and thus more ad impressions).

Mord
Jun 12, 2004, 11:22 AM
I am not posting it on my website to get more hits.

I myself am an apple tech I am suprised that you are outraged at me offering it out they contain valuble information.

when somone obtains a service manual to take a peak in there g5 they know they are taking certain risks and it is entirely up to them it's not up to me or you to choose who is worthy of such information, just because you are more intelligent than the average joe dose that give you the right to have it when they don't. I would advise against an average joe user from taking there g5 apart.

edesignuk
Jun 12, 2004, 11:38 AM
-Sayer

Ok, what the hell is wrong with you? Just because I see a picture of the cooling system would not inspire me to go tearing appart my G5 (if I had one!), jesus, give it a rest and get down of that high horse of yours! :rolleyes:

edit: oh, and please don't vote bushy boi back in, kthx :D :eek:

Capt Underpants
Jun 12, 2004, 12:22 PM
I can't seem to access the site. Could someone post the pics up here on MR for me? It would be much appreciated.

Mord
Jun 12, 2004, 12:24 PM
scroll up a bit to my link, I posted these pictures yesterday

(i want credit for this god damn it)

nagromme
Jun 12, 2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for clearing that up :)

edesignuk
Jun 12, 2004, 01:30 PM
Additional mirrors:

edit: pics removed, see post below ;)

wdlove
Jun 12, 2004, 01:48 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the 2.5 G5 in person at my local Apple Store. Also to see its awesome power. :)

Mord
Jun 12, 2004, 04:22 PM
Additional mirrors:

1 (http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/forums/g5watercool1.jpg), 2 (http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/forums/g5watercool2.jpg), 3 (http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/forums/g5watercool3.jpg), 4 (http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/forums/g5watercool4.jpg)

I have more images if you like i can ichat them to you if you like

edesignuk
Jun 12, 2004, 05:02 PM
I have more images if you like i can ichat them to you if you like
Ok kiddies, here (http://tracker.yo-momma.net/tracker.php?id=7) we go :cool:

Sun Baked
Jun 12, 2004, 06:24 PM
New frontpage at apple-x.net...

Maybe they shouldn't have splashed their mark across every picture. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6694&stc=1

edesignuk
Jun 12, 2004, 06:37 PM
New frontpage at apple-x.net...

Maybe they shouldn't have splashed their mark across every picture. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6694&stc=1
Funny thing is, why should Apple be bothered by this? It's only pictures of a product that has already been launched. Weird.

jimsowden
Jun 12, 2004, 07:03 PM
Anyone else notice that they have one large heat sync, like those pictures posted a while, and not like the pictures on apple.com?

applextrent
Jun 12, 2004, 09:35 PM
We got shut down by our host. Too much traffic. We are now looking for a new webhost, if anyone knows of a good one please contact me at trentsf@aol.com or my AIM: applextrent.

Thanks and sorry about the downtime.

--Trent L.
CEO of what was Apple-X.net

Mord
Jun 13, 2004, 03:33 AM
Anyone else notice that they have one large heat sync, like those pictures posted a while, and not like the pictures on apple.com?

the dual 1.8 and 2.0GHz g5's have the heatsink pictured by apple but the 2.5GHz g5 has a large unifyed cover to cover the watercooling as inllustarated by the pics i posted two days ago in the hardware section

Sol
Jun 13, 2004, 09:25 AM
The liquid-cooling system looks cube in shape. It is impressive that the PowerMac did not have to be redesigned to accomodate this. I wonder if Apple plans to offer liquid cooling in the other Powermac models or if this is a temporary solution until IBM produces a cooler CPU. Either way I want a dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac as much as I wanted a dual 3 GHz PowerMac. Apple has once again come up with the goods.

eric_n_dfw
Jun 13, 2004, 06:52 PM
We got shut down by our host. Too much traffic. We are now looking for a new webhost, if anyone knows of a good one please contact me at trentsf@aol.com or my AIM: applextrent.

Thanks and sorry about the downtime.

--Trent L.
CEO of what was Apple-X.net
How about here?

PowerMacMan
Jun 13, 2004, 09:23 PM
Check this forum out... (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=75132)

Mord
Jun 14, 2004, 01:33 AM
thanks for the link but i already posted it as soon as i saw that other site that dose not even work get credit for it

applextrent
Jun 14, 2004, 02:40 PM
Apple-X.net will be up and running tomorrow. We are just waiting for our new DNS info to propagate through the internet.

So here is what happened: This past Friday night we innocently stumbling upon a service manual with some pictures of the new 2.5GHz PowerMac G5's cooling system. After absorbing every bit of information we could, we said to ourselves, "Hmm, maybe other people would like to see these images too!" Remembering we ran a website, we soon posted few of the images online. Within hours thousands upon, upon thousands showed up to view these awesomely cool PowerMac photos. Which was like totally cool. However, our current webhost at the time did not find it that cool that we were getting so much traffic (we were using all of the servers RAM, and CPU, oops). So they suspended our account. Not only that, they did not notify us that they had suspended us, and in doing so shut down everything from our e-mail, to our FTP access, to our control panel access. Meanwhile, our not so gracious host decided to disappear for the weekend while we had zero access to our own files, and website.

After playing hooky from all of our previous commitments, we spent our every waking moment on a quest for a new webhost. After exploring as many options as possible, and finding possibilities around every corner, we finally found the perfect solution, which just so happens is also a fruit: asmallorange.com. Coincidentally run by a fellow Mac user. So now we are in the process of getting everything restored and back to normal.

--Trent L.
CEO of Apple-X.net

edesignuk
Jun 14, 2004, 03:12 PM
After exploring as many options as possible, and finding possibilities around every corner, we finally found the perfect solution, which just so happens is also a fruit: asmallorange.com.
Suggested by my good/wonderful/brilliant self (LMFAO!), now I get a free months hosting for being the referer. w00t!