PDA

View Full Version : Is Apple unassailable?

MacBytes
Jul 24, 2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Is Apple unassailable? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090724012529)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jav6454
Jul 24, 2009, 01:50 AM
As long as Apple can innovate, I can see Apple growing and growing and growing. There is no arguing or denying that.

rickdollar
Jul 24, 2009, 02:41 AM
I see them growing and growing, as well.
If every consumer, who bought a personal computer, was put in front of a Mac and a PC, would even 80% of those consumers choose a Windows machine? And what is Windows market share? I think as time goes on, people will see that a cheap computer and the most widely used OS is not always the best experience/choice.

I don't think Apple is going to stay in the single or low double digits, as far as market share goes, forever. Just figure Apple has an 8% share and Windows has 80% share. ALL THESE NUMBERS ARE GUESSES. No flaming. Just trying to make a point. Is Windows really 10 times better than a Mac? Is there a really good reason why 8 or 9 out of 10 people choose Windows over a Mac? I don't think so and I also don't think it's crazy to think that Apple will have at least a 20% share, sometime, in the years ahead.

SFStateStudent
Jul 24, 2009, 03:41 AM
Last time Apple stock was near or at $200 was several years ago (December 26, 2007, 2:24PM EST/USA, and it went from "innovate" to "stagnate" in a matter of months, remember?.....:eek::eek::eek:

eastercat
Jul 24, 2009, 03:45 AM
Unless Apple screws up big time, they have nowhere to go but up.

winmacguy
Jul 24, 2009, 03:56 AM
Last time Apple stock was near or at $200 was several years ago (December 26, 2007, 2:24PM EST/USA, and it went from "innovate" to "stagnate" in a matter of months, remember?.....:eek::eek::eek:

Correction - Apple didn't "stagnate" - the bottom fell out of the US mortgage market and took all the major US banks with it as a result of people with low or no incomes defaulting on home loans they could never afford from day one. Apple has continued to perform above expectations the whole time.

BongoBanger
Jul 24, 2009, 04:11 AM
It depends.

Apple's strategy is high risk as all their eggs are in a few baskets - iPods, Macs and the iPhone. The iPhone is the biggest revenue driver just now and it's one product so if anything comes along that eats into its market share its going to be pretty grim for them.

That said there's nothign out there just now although if HTC link Sense UI to proper hardware that may change pretty quickly.

SFStateStudent
Jul 24, 2009, 04:45 AM
Correction - Apple didn't "stagnate" - the bottom fell out of the US mortgage market and took all the major US banks with it as a result of people with low or no incomes defaulting on home loans they could never afford from day one. Apple has continued to perform above expectations the whole time.

Actually, they haven't. January 2008, showed a projected earnings per share of $.94 v. a considerably below Wall Streetís average $1.09 forecast. Apple continues to low-ball its forward-looking guidance under the premise that "Apple will continue to leave the economic forecasting to others...We are focused on managing our business" (Peter Oppenheimer, Apple CFO, Jan '08). Will Apple ever take control of their "forward-looking guidance" and get out from under that umbrella of secrecy?

winmacguy
Jul 24, 2009, 04:57 AM
Actually, they haven't. January 2008, showed a projected earnings per share of $.94 v. a considerably below Wall Streetís average $1.09 forecast. Apple continues to low-ball its forward-looking guidance under the premise that "Apple will continue to leave the economic forecasting to others...We are focused on managing our business" (Peter Oppenheimer, Apple CFO, Jan '08). Will Apple ever take control of their "forward-looking guidance" and get out from under that umbrella of secrecy?

Well Apple had to adjust their guidance accordingly but that didn't stop or slow down their product development which is what I was referring to. Certainly they had to adjust staffing levels in their stores to compensate for the reduced foot traffic.

MisterMe
Jul 24, 2009, 09:47 AM
Actually, they haven't. January 2008, ...January 2008? What about now? Read the latest reports from Apple and Microsoft. Apple is doing incredibly well. Microsoft is not.

armoguy94
Jul 24, 2009, 10:23 AM
Unless Apple screws up big time, they have nowhere to go but up.

In case you haven't noticed, they've already been screwing up and been doing nothing about it. They don't care about their employees or human rights in general from what I've heard, the limited options they have for their computers, sacrificing major performance for how "sexy" the case of their computers look, etc.

Tallest Skil
Jul 24, 2009, 10:32 AM
the limited options they have for their computers, sacrificing major performance for how "sexy" the case of their computers look, etc.

And every quarter they post record profits, meaning that people couldn't care less about this.

geoffreak
Jul 24, 2009, 11:36 AM
Link is broken.

winmacguy
Jul 24, 2009, 01:12 PM
Link is broken.

Looks like the NZ Herald is having a problem with their site. They have taken the page down. It should be back up when they get it sorted out.

winmacguy
Jul 24, 2009, 07:25 PM
Looks like the NZ Herald is having a problem with their site. They have taken the page down. It should be back up when they get it sorted out.

Its working again
http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/7/23/apple-unassailable/?c_id=5&objectid=10586217

armoguy94
Jul 24, 2009, 10:40 PM
And every quarter they post record profits, meaning that people couldn't care less about this.yea, the average consumer... but then again the average consumer doesn't know anything..so what does that say. http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2577/iconthumb.gif