Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bannor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
I was just reading through a thread on Apple's discussion boards where lots of people were complaining how easily they've dented their aluminum powerbooks. I'm just wondering if lots of people here have had problems with dents. I obviously intend to be careful when I get my new notebook, but accidents happen. I was a bit surprised to hear people claiming their powerbook has sustained damage falling from heights of less than a foot (while in a good quality bag!). Are they that fragile? I am leaning toward the powerbook over the ibook, but I don't want to wind up with something as fragile as blown glass.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
bannor said:
I was just reading through a thread on Apple's discussion boards where lots of people were complaining how easily they've dented their aluminum powerbooks. I'm just wondering if lots of people here have had problems with dents. I obviously intend to be careful when I get my new notebook, but accidents happen. I was a bit surprised to hear people claiming their powerbook has sustained damage falling from heights of less than a foot (while in a good quality bag!). Are they that fragile? I am leaning toward the powerbook over the ibook, but I don't want to wind up with something as fragile as blown glass.

I have had mine for about a year or so, and to this point ::knocks on wood:: I haven't dented it. However, I do treat my equipment with kid gloves, so you should know that as well.

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
They aren't terribly rigid, and likely would dent easily. I can tell you that they do scratch very easily.

The aluminum powerbooks are an example of style over substance... unless the metal helps keep it cool by transferring heat. That being said, I still enjoy my 15" Powerbook. It's not a big problem as long as you are careful. Mine still looks flawless after almost a year, and I took it to class quite often. The bottom got scratched by my horrific dorm desk, but what can you do.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
bannor said:

No problems on my end. I take mine everywhere tucked inside a BrainCell. I haven't dropped mine but it's had a few bumps and survived unscathed. I don't know about these peeps who are dropping them from 4' off the ground. They need to be a bit more careful.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I have yet to dent or damage my Titanium. I know a lot of people have complained about the paint chipping off, but I think if you're just careful, it shouldn't be a problem. In my experience, the iBooks have been easier to scratch. That white plastic is easy to have a bunch of light scratches. But there are cleaners out there for that.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
mine is still in good condition (touch wood) i think if you treat it properly it will remeain in good condition. if you thrown anything around im sure it will get damaged.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
thats why i liked the old Ti powerbooks I have dropped my ibook while it's in my bag countless times an it's indestructible

not that i wouldn't mind a nice 15" powerbook but i like ruggedness.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i got my Al PB (15") a couple of weeks after they were released last year, and i've taken it to college with me all this year, just throwing, no sorry, placing really, into my backpack, not even a special computer bag, just a regular backpack with a pocket inside.

well my PB is still flawless, no dents or scratches, they're a sturdy machine. i dont' know what's you'd have to do to scratch it, do people carry their keys or metal stationery in the bag with their PowerBooks?

and if you think that the Al PBs aren't 'rigid', i don't know what would make you happy. :rolleyes: if you'd ever had a TiBook (awesome machine, i still miss mine.... :( ) you'd realise that they new PBs are much improved, there's virtually no flex at all (if any) when you pick it up. the TiBooks had a noticeable amount of flex, but still nothing to get worried about.

you've just got to be careful with it and you'll be fine. after all, if you spend that amount of money on a computer, you're not going to do stupid things with it are you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.