PDA

View Full Version : Why should I have my iPod formatted for mac?

TrAzE
Jul 24, 2009, 10:01 AM
Any good reason why I should or would need to change my windows formatted iPod to a mac format?

spinnerlys
Jul 24, 2009, 10:08 AM
What is your main computer, which you use to synch your iPod with?

As far as I know, when the iPod is formatted on a Windows PC (FAT32), you can use the iPod with a Windows and a Macintosh computer.

If it is formatted with a Macintosh (HFS+), Windows computers will not be able to access them.

Gav2k
Jul 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
Only reason really would be if ur moving your music over to ur mac then keeping that upto date rather than your windows version. You should also note that the mac iTunes is quicker than the windows version.

TrAzE
Jul 24, 2009, 10:17 AM
I primarily use the iPod on my macbook. I occasionally use it as a portable hard disk for file transfers to a windows computer.

I was just wondering if there was anything I was missing out on by not having it mac formatted. Seems like it's just to keep it from working on a non-mac OS.

Gitano1
Jul 24, 2009, 10:21 AM
It may have been psychological, but when I converted my Pod over to Mac from Windows it seemed to run better. I have found that the iTunes in Mac is a bit easier to work with than the Windows version as well. Again, this may be just a prejudice, but the conversion can't hurt.

TheVendor
Jul 24, 2009, 12:35 PM
I occasionally use it as a portable hard disk for file transfers to a windows computer.

You will have to keep it formatted the way it is if you want to continue doing this; reformatting it on a Mac will prevent Windows computers from reading and writing to it.

You won't gain any new features for reformatting it on a Mac, or see any other sort of improvements (though what Gitano1 said about it running better may be true).