Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
So i go to candystand.com to have a casual game of pool and use firefox since its faster at rendering pages. When i arrive at the site it says no shockwave plugin. and it asks me to dl. ok so i download and install. try it again. doest work. go to safari and make firefox default browser. i unistall shockwave and reinstall. nothing. so i restart. nothing. whats wrong with this? its a joke that firefox doesnt have shockwave support. its more of a joke that firefox has support in windows and doesnt have support in the mac os....

bhertz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
I had some problems when I tried to get shockwave installed also. I was able to get flash installed though. I'm not sure but I thought that flash has all the shockwave features built into it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
applemacdude said:
So i go to candystand.com to have a casual game of pool and use firefox since its faster at rendering pages. When i arrive at the site it says no shockwave plugin. and it asks me to dl. ok so i download and install. try it again. doest work. go to safari and make firefox default browser. i unistall shockwave and reinstall. nothing. so i restart. nothing. whats wrong with this? its a joke that firefox doesnt have shockwave support. its more of a joke that firefox has support in windows and doesnt have support in the mac os....
Works for me.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Is this an issue about NOT having plugins? Or Firefox, with the appropriate plug-ins installed, STILL not functioning correctly?

On the PC side, the plugins ARE a bit hard to find, but all you need to do is copy/paste them into the Plugins folder. I wonder if the Mac version functions the same way?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mav451 said:
Is this an issue about NOT having plugins? Or Firefox, with the appropriate plug-ins installed, STILL not functioning correctly?

On the PC side, the plugins ARE a bit hard to find, but all you need to do is copy/paste them into the Plugins folder. I wonder if the Mac version functions the same way?
All MacOS X browsers use the same set of plug-ins. Global plug-ins are stored in Macintosh HD>Library>Internet Plug-ins. There are user-specific plug-ins in {Your Account}>Library>Internet Plug-ins. Browsers-specific problems with plug-ins are highly unlikely because plug-ins are not browser-specific.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Mav451 said:
I wonder if the Mac version functions the same way?
Period, not a question mark.

When I used Netscape Communicator in OS 9, and it asked me for the plug-in to view a Flash file, I had to install the plug-in view the Flash Player Installer and relaunch the browser. But I think most of today's browsers have plug-ins built into them, as supposed to being referenced in a Plug-ins folder. For instance, if you went into the Plug-ins folder inside of the Mozilla package, you'll see one plug-in, and it isn't Quicktime. And Safari doesn't even have/require a plug-ins folder.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Seems to have broken in 0.9.x (Mac only)

Note that this is about OS X only; on Windows everything is fine.

Flash worked for me in 0.8, but is not working in 0.9.1. "about: plugins" says it's installed - but flash doesn't actually work. Shockwave works though.

But when I want to get my Homestar Runner fix I have to run Safari right now. :(

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's hit or miss lately with plug-ins and Firefox. I've gone back to using Camino for sites which use plug-ins.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
It could be worse. You could be running Linux, Macromedia doesn't even make a Shockwave plug-in for Linux.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
there is Shockwave for Firefox. i can see flash just find with Firefox. but i use camino instead. FF is quite buggy on the mac.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just installed Firefox v0.9.3 and Shockwave content still does not work although Flash is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.