Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douglh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
My 13 inch unibody Macbook is currently running at 81C. Isn't that high? What's the maximum temperature? The fan(s) run constantly.

I have a fan utility that lists 2 fans. The "Left" fan is at 6204 rpm's, temp 81.4C The "Right" fan shows 0rpm's, temp -1C. Is this merely because the sensor is capable of recording two fan speeds or do I really have one malfunctioning fan? (which would explain the high cpu temp, if it applies).

A third sensor, a widget, records the same temp, with Heatsink A 70C and Heatsink B 64C. I realize all three sensors are getting their readings from the same spot; which one do I rely on?

EDIT: the only program I'm running (visably) is FireFox.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Do you have any flash running, or any hanging processes?

81C for an idle is a bit high. The 13" MacBook only has one fan, so don't worry about the 0rpm reading on that 2nd one.

douglh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
No Flash, no Java. I use a Bluetooth mouse, I just turned it off to see if there's any difference. I also rebooted so the temp went down during the 2 minutes it was off; the temp right now is 72C and slowly climbing.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Did you check in your activity monitor for any processes that are sucking up CPU cycles?

Be sure to change the drop down to "all processes." Sometimes there may be a print spool or a widget that's gone awry and using a fair bit of CPU cycles.

douglh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Thank you! GeekTool was using ~40. I Forced Quit and my temp dropped 20+C, now at 49C. Thanks-a-bunch, I wouldn't have thought of looking there.

xodus

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
Toronto, Canada
In the future, the ultra fast way to do this is:

Open Terminal

Code:
(will then list the top 10 highest processes)

Code:
killall <nameofprocess>
OR
Code:
kill <ID#ofprocess>

douglh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Coming from Linux I'm familiar with those commands but had forgotten they work on Mac OS as well. Thanks for reminding me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.