PDA

View Full Version : Apple: The World's Most Discreetly Feminine Brand?

MacBytes
Jul 25, 2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple: The World's Most Discreetly Feminine Brand? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090725225439)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

dukebound85
Jul 25, 2009, 09:55 PM
without reading the article, who cares as long as they make good products

eawmp1
Jul 25, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'm a dude, and i thought that was sexist. What drivel.

Difficult to figure out - let the men-folk deal with it. You little ladies don't need to clutter your minds by, um reading manuals.

While I like to tinker, I love that I don't have to if I don't feel like it.

ata
Jul 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm a dude, and i thought that was sexist. What drivel.

Difficult to figure out - let the men-folk deal with it. You little ladies don't need to clutter your minds by, um reading manuals.

While I like to tinker, I love that I don't have to if I don't feel like it.

Yeah, I totally agree. So there's a product that's elegantly designed and easy to use, and that's necessarily "feminine"? I don't call that feminine, I call it good.

The most annoying part is that the author of this article probably thought she was being all progressive and feministic, when really it had the exact opposite implications.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 26, 2009, 06:57 AM
Nothing pisses me off more than a good sexist article.

Although I can't tell, are they insulting or praising females? Are they saying girls are smarter because they chose more elegant products or dumber because they can't configure less elegant products?

nick9191
Jul 26, 2009, 07:00 AM
Apple makes a remote control. In fact they have simplified it so much that it has no real function. There is a thin line between simplicity and fisher price.

PNutt06
Jul 26, 2009, 07:10 AM
Hi, I'm a female and I like Apple.

I love Apple, their designs, their intuitiveness. Everything! But I don't see how creating an amazing product that is wonderfully designed and easy to use compared to Windows is aiming at women?

To me she's clearly trying to make something out of nothing. Orr she was just trying to find a different way of talking about Apple's recent profits.

Whatever. That article is a waste of space.

Kilamite
Jul 26, 2009, 07:26 AM
"Women are the engine of the global economy, driving nearly 80% of all consumer purchases."

Really.....?

What a load of bs that article is. Apple is so successful because things "just work". Not because they are aimed at stupid females who can't work technology.

There is plenty females who are more than capable of taking Windows apart. It is merely a subject of interest and influences what determines your technological understanding, not what sex you are.

Apple offers face-to-face service, so that also makes it a feminine brand?

God. What a waste of internet space.

Shasterball
Jul 26, 2009, 10:05 AM
Ridiculous.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 26, 2009, 11:28 AM
"Women are the engine of the global economy, driving nearly 80% of all consumer purchases."

Did she even source this statement?
Or is it too, like most statistics on the internet, pulled out of thin air?

decksnap
Jul 26, 2009, 12:40 PM

Uh huh.. so then men are what, the gasoline... PAYING for 80% of all consumer purchases?

Sorry, I don't believe that either, but it's just as ludicrous.

Pondered
Jul 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
Uh huh.. so then men are what, the gasoline... PAYING for 80% of all consumer purchases?

Hahaha awesome :D

impierced
Jul 26, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hi, I'm a female and I like Apple.

The internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Hrududu
Jul 26, 2009, 06:34 PM
I've actually heard this elsewhere too. It doesn't say Women "buy" 80% but that that influence it. Think about it. Who does most of the shopping and buying for a household? Who may be sent out of the office to buy supplies needed at the workplace? How often does a man say before buying something, "I'll have to go talk about it with my wife" before he buys. Its a perfectly logical statistic if you really think about it.

BoyBach
Jul 26, 2009, 06:39 PM

"88.2% of Statistics are made up on the spot." - Vic Reeves.

u49aa2
Jul 26, 2009, 06:49 PM
That's it..from tomorrow i will throw all my apple products :rolleyes:

am i confused, or does the author implies that women are too stupid to understand the up to date technology on their own?!

shadowfax
Jul 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
I've actually heard this elsewhere too. It doesn't say Women "buy" 80% but that that influence it. Think about it. Who does most of the shopping and buying for a household? Who may be sent out of the office to buy supplies needed at the workplace? How often does a man say before buying something, "I'll have to go talk about it with my wife" before he buys. Its a perfectly logical statistic if you really think about it.

Perfectly logical and perfectly misused. What percentage of consumer purchases do men influence? Influence is not mutually exclusive, so it could very well be 99%. And regardless, this statistic does absolutely nothing to support the claim/suggestion that women drive consumer spending. It simply means that they are involved in a great deal of consumer spending... whatever that means.

Moreover, calling Apple design feminine because you think it appeals to women is completely asinine. Men appeal to a lot of women? Are they feminine? Meh. The word itself is incredibly loaded and ambiguous, but I don't think anyone would ever suggest that the fact that females as a group tend to like something makes that object feminine.

Utter drivel indeed. Not just quaintly sexist, both its claims and arguments are wholly irrational.

Pikemann Urge
Jul 26, 2009, 07:52 PM
It was a partly interesting article. But let's go beyond boy-girl: 'feminine' is a fundamental quality that women usually have lots of and men usually have some of. A slender body is a feminine characteristic but that doesn't mean you're a girl if you're male with a slender figure. You know - Yin-Yang? Some qualities of the universe are given the 'feminine' label, others the 'masculine' label.

But the author of the article does not come across as sophisticated enough to go further.

Ferraris are certainly feminine. Thank god they don't make pink ones, though.

eastercat
Jul 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
It was sad that a female author wrote this drivel. Guess this proves that some women are so indoctrinated by men that they'd insult themselves like that. :(

naco
Jul 27, 2009, 01:06 AM
Apple may be a great company with brilliant technology and easy to use, but if you can't work a friggin' remote, you shouldn't be writing articles ABOUT technology let alone be near a computer.

In short, anyone that agrees with this tard of a "writer", needs to: RTFM /story

nagromme
Jul 27, 2009, 04:17 AM
Apple makes a remote control. In fact they have simplified it so much that it has no real function. There is a thin line between simplicity and fisher price.

I love the Apple remote control. I bought an iMac because of it, and I use it all the time for video and music alike. It does everything my old zillion-button absurdities used to do, and much more easily. I use the Hulu Mac app instead of the Hulu site, specifically so that I can use the Apple Remote. It works great with EyeTV too.

It not only HAS function, it has MANY functions, and does them so well that I can't tolerate "normal" remotes anymore.

(I'm male. And I like things designed well enough that they do the job I paid for, without asking ME to study a boring manual. I read massive manuals cover to cover when called for, but if a product needs a manual for something as basic as media control, that is a design flaw! An all too common one.)

Konstanty
Jul 27, 2009, 05:28 AM
It was sad that a female author wrote this drivel. Guess this proves that some women are so indoctrinated by men that they'd insult themselves like that. :(

No, it just proves that you assume anything stupid has to originate with a man.

JBazz
Jul 27, 2009, 05:37 AM
Jesus some of you guys really need some valuum. I am a woman who has spent a quarter century in a highly technical job that is less than 1% female, and that article did NOT offend me. The generation of women who the article is written about arent as technically inclined as the younger set. It isnt "sexist" to admit it, it is r e a l i t y. Swallow a good dose of it. Some of yall need it

swingerofbirch
Jul 27, 2009, 10:57 AM
The article never said exactly what about Apple products make them feminine. I mean she espoused the good qualities of Apple products, but never quite connected the dots. Exactly how are they feminine? And what does she think is feminine?

There is this horrible duality, men are the opposite of women etc. If you really, and I mean really take a look at a naked man and naked woman side by side, there is no duality. Just look at the prepuce and clitoral hood. They both have that wrinkly protective quality. The duality is a construction, and apparently the duality has constructed quite a story in this article's writer's head about what femininity is.

Tenebrous
Jul 27, 2009, 03:20 PM
Jesus some of you guys really need some valuum. I am a woman who has spent a quarter century in a highly technical job that is less than 1% female, and that article did NOT offend me. The generation of women who the article is written about arent as technically inclined as the younger set. It isnt "sexist" to admit it, it is r e a l i t y. Swallow a good dose of it. Some of yall need it

You are not only profane, but you can't spell. You demonstrate the triumph of feminism -- popularizing women as crude and as thoughtless as low-class men; sacrificing virtue in the pursuit of the wrong sort of equality.

The generation whom the article is written about is MYTHICAL. They are purely a mental construct of feminists who hated everything before them, and who in turn will be hated by the feminists after them, ad infinitum, ad absurdum.

windywoo
Jul 27, 2009, 11:02 PM
Reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to announce a new range of sanitary towels from Apple.

mikes70mustang
Jul 28, 2009, 01:21 AM
Reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to announce a new range of sanitary towels from Apple.

Ha, the selling point is--the only apple with wings

windywoo
Jul 28, 2009, 01:37 AM
iPons? iPax? iPads?

California
Jul 28, 2009, 04:24 AM
Didn't read it, but as a girl, that's nuts.

Good design is not masculine or feminine.

But I will say, the Pismo is the most butch and masculine as well as functional computer Apple has ever made. If the unibodies could do what the Pismos did?

I think this is why I never bought a black macbook or a Pismo for myself...

too masculine. I was intimidated by the testosterone.

(Just kidding but maybe not...)

spillproof
Jul 28, 2009, 04:51 AM
I don't really care what anyone (able bodied and mind) has to say if they can't turn on a TV.

I vote fisher price.

roach
Jul 28, 2009, 10:28 AM
Here's a Gizmodo article: "Apple Perceived As Gay-Friendly".

http://gizmodo.com/390269/apple-perceived-as-gay+friendly-samsung-not#viewcomments

JBazz
Jul 28, 2009, 06:28 PM
You are not only profane, but you can't spell. You demonstrate the triumph of feminism -- popularizing women as crude and as thoughtless as low-class men; sacrificing virtue in the pursuit of the wrong sort of equality.

The generation whom the article is written about is MYTHICAL. They are purely a mental construct of feminists who hated everything before them, and who in turn will be hated by the feminists after them, ad infinitum, ad absurdum.

I am me. I come from a very poor area in El Paso, Tx. Saw 6 people die horrendously before I was 16. And yet, somehow I not only survived, but thrived. If my profane posts bother you, move on. Go spend time with your elitist group of peers. I am sure they will coddle you and speak your language.

I do not hate the women who came before me, never hated on a single group. I love women, the whole spectrum of them. And I have never, ever disregarded a single ones life experiences. I know my mother and my aunts and they are afraid of technology. They came up in an era where men did the technical stuff. It is what it is.

22Hz
Jul 30, 2009, 10:05 PM
Feminists crack me up.