PDA

View Full Version : Burning cd's

Cindy
Jun 13, 2004, 10:08 AM
Here's a dumb question.... I'm wondering if my computer can burn cd's and if so, how do I do this?
I have an eMac OS X 10.2.4 -- I have tried doing a search for burning cd's but coming up with nothing.
thanks for any info...
Cindy

abhishekit
Jun 13, 2004, 10:29 AM
apple menu-about this mac-more info, under hardware, select ATA. if it says cd rw as the drive type, then you can.

cheers

Cindy
Jun 13, 2004, 11:18 AM
apple menu-about this mac-more info, under hardware, select ATA. if it says cd rw as the drive type, then you can.

cheers

umm... maybe not then. Because I get as far as looking under the hardware and there is no "ATA" to select -- ??? Am I missing something here?

musicpyrite
Jun 13, 2004, 12:19 PM

ChrisFromCanada
Jun 13, 2004, 12:23 PM
Well you should have something under ATA because this is where your hard drive should be located. You are probably not looking at the right thing. To simplify what the other poster said, go to the apple menu in the top left corner then click on about this mac then click on more info then click on ATA on the left hand side and it will tell you what kind of hard drive you have and what type of optical (CD) drive you have. If you are still haveing probelms post what revision of the emac it is and that should help. Does anyone know if there was a revision of the emac with out CD burning capabilities?

Anyway what do you want to burn on to your CD? music, data?

ChrisFromCanada
Jun 13, 2004, 12:25 PM
lol ^^^

Jo-Kun
Jun 13, 2004, 12:44 PM
A silly way of joking would be now to ask if you're blonde Cindy...

but I know the most simpele way to let you know if you can burn cd's is trying it...

Just take an empty CD-R disk, put it in the drive and MacOSX will ask you to initialize it with diskburner, than you can drag 'n drop your files on the CD-R icon on the desktop and when you eject this disk it will ask you if its ok to burn (not with smoke and flames or so ;-))

if non of this happens... then I guess you have no CD-R/RW drive inside... simple as that...

Cindy
Jun 13, 2004, 12:52 PM
this is what mine is showing me: I have nothing on the left of this like yours is showing.

Cindy
Jun 13, 2004, 12:53 PM
OH -- I would like to burn music. Might be more trouble than it's worth - it's beginning to seem.....

robbieduncan
Jun 13, 2004, 01:03 PM
The confusion seems to be that you are on 10.2 and we are all on 10.3. Try this:
open Terminal
type system_profiler | grep "Disc Burning"

If you get a line that says Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped then you can burn CDs in the Finder/iTunes and so on. if you don't you can't.

beefcake
Jun 13, 2004, 01:04 PM
Buy or borrow a CD-R disk, they're quite cheap, and put one in your drive. If nothing pops up, try going into iTunes and at the top right-hand corner click Burn Playlist. Should be a circle. If that works, you have your answer.

musicpyrite
Jun 13, 2004, 01:05 PM
A silly way of joking would be now to ask if you're blonde Cindy...

So very true...

Jo-Kun
Jun 13, 2004, 01:06 PM
well Cindy, I think you should just try my test solution to find out if you can burn disks... its the easiest way to know... when you don't really get your way into the guts of your MacOSX (like we freaks do :p)

and its the same in 10.2 as in 10.3 ;-)

When it works... you can burn music cd out of iTunes or find someone who has a copy of Toast Titanium 6 wich is the best cd burning program than you can copy disks and whatever you might need...

Jo

Jo-Kun
Jun 13, 2004, 01:10 PM
So very true...

I was being ironic...

...and trying to help her with an easy solution, a lot of my friends switched to mac and I learned that just giving easy solutions works best, and if it doesn't, I go over there and solve it...

you allso do'nt learn a windows user where to look for things in the windows registry if you know a simple solution ;-)

Cindy
Jun 13, 2004, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=Jo-Kun]A silly way of joking would be now to ask if you're blonde Cindy...

:( one reason why I RARELY post on these boards. But, ya know I don't have any friends (in person) who have Macs - everyone has PC's.
I can't tell you how many times I have been bashed and trashed for asking my "dumb" questions.
One time someone had the nerve to tell me to stop posting and to just go take a class in computers 101.
How rude is that?
I'm not a computer geek and I don't get into anything much more than sending out my emails to friends (to save on long distance calls) and surfing the net for information on different stuff.
BTW -- I checked into getting DSL service instead of this slow dial up --- 50.00 a month compared to 18.00 -- no thanks.... I'll stay with my slow dial up and not use itunes.
The little simple things to most of you guys -- is completely foreign to me.
And yes... instead of trying to get into the workings of this machine - buying a blank CD and stick it in and see what happens would be the easiest - in fact, that was the first thing I thought of (believe it or not).
I live out in the boonies and didn't want to drive into town to look for one.

Thanks to those of you with the patience to help me out... I will try a blank one and see if anything pops up. Otherwise, I think I'll go the old fashioned route -- BUY cd's at the store

;)

Jo-Kun
Jun 13, 2004, 01:40 PM
hey Cindy, I'm not making fun of you... and I'm sorry if it sounded different...
And its stupid of those who tell you to take computer lessons instead of trying this forum for a solution...
I allso got some remarks on issues that I posted here...
ok they looked simple problems maybe, but I just didn't find the right way for it and I was very pleased to get a helpful reply to my question.

I gave you a normal helpful answer without any geek detours...
Ok I didn't know you live in the boonies so getting a disk takes enough time...
Its the fastest way to find out if your eMac can do this...
and the easiest way to explain it to anyone...
I do have patience when it comes to helping people out with issues like this...

and you don't need DSL speeds to use iTunes... here in Belgium the iTunes store doesn't even work... I use iTunes to put all my cd's on my computer and on my iPod so I can take it with me in the car and have music while working in my studio... without having to switch cd's while working... and allso to copy some of my brother's cd's on my computer to have a larger music choice...

Cindy
Jun 13, 2004, 01:41 PM
I was being ironic...

...and trying to help her with an easy solution, a lot of my friends switched to mac and I learned that just giving easy solutions works best, and if it doesn't, I go over there and solve it...

you allso do'nt learn a windows user where to look for things in the windows registry if you know a simple solution ;-)

Sorry Jo-Kun -- guess my last post should have been directed at musicpyrite.
Because someone isn't up to date or doesn't know it all about computers and how they work etc.. doesn't make them "dumb".

Cindy
Jun 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
and you don't need DSL speeds to use iTunes... here in Belgium the iTunes store doesn't even work... I use iTunes to put all my cd's on my computer and on my iPod so I can take it with me in the car and have music while working in my studio... without having to switch cd's while working... and allso to copy some of my brother's cd's on my computer to have a larger music choice...

Well, that's good to know -- I guess. what I wanted to do was get some music off the net and burn onto a cd so that I would have music cd's to listen to in my car without buying cd's at the store.
I'm CHEAP. Seemed like a novel idea at first anyway. But I also did a search for some music to burn and couldn't find anything right off hand. And as you know, my itunes won't play without cutting out all the time.
Off subject... I see you're from Belgium? Do you see many Malinois over there? (dogs, if you're not familiar). That's where they are from anyway.
I imported my male from over there - great working dog.
I specialize in bomb detection.