PDA

View Full Version : Bush Asked for Vatican's Help on Political Issues, Report Says

zimv20
Jun 13, 2004, 12:29 PM
link (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/13/politics/13george.html)

On his recent trip to Rome, President Bush asked a top Vatican official to push American bishops to speak out more about political issues, including same-sex marriage, according to a report in the National Catholic Reporter, an independent newspaper.

In a column posted Friday evening on the paper's Web site, John L. Allen Jr., its correspondent in Rome and the dean of Vatican journalists, wrote that Mr. Bush had made the request in a June 4 meeting with Cardinal Angelo Sodano, the Vatican secretary of state. Citing an unnamed Vatican official, Mr. Allen wrote: "Bush said, 'Not all the American bishops are with me' on the cultural issues. The implication was that he hoped the Vatican would nudge them toward more explicit activism."

Mr. Allen wrote that others in the meeting confirmed that the president had pledged aggressive efforts "on the cultural front, especially the battle against gay marriage, and asked for the Vatican's help in encouraging the U.S. bishops to be more outspoken." Cardinal Sodano did not respond, Mr. Allen reported, citing the same unnamed people.

(more)

Neserk
Jun 13, 2004, 12:52 PM
Bush should be asking for forgiveness...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/13/politics/13george.html?ex=1087790400&en=1de85af57f98a71c&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1

link w/o having to sign in.

wowser
Jun 13, 2004, 01:11 PM
Yeah, OK George, you want the Vatican's help on political issues, do you? Well, there's this big one in Iraq that The Pope's not too keen on (I think he dropped a few hints when you gave dropped by his place?). So, maybe you should start there.

mactastic
Jun 13, 2004, 01:44 PM
Sick. And to think the right has tried to use Kerry's Catholicism against him, suggesting that he would be taking orders from the pope. I guess if, as some around here seem to think, the left wants you to worship the state and government, then the reverse is true too, and the right wants you to worship God and religious leaders. But only their version of God.

blackfox
Jun 13, 2004, 03:38 PM
Well, it's nice he is asking SOMEBODY for help for once...I was under the impression he had a direct line to the Big Man Upstairs and was consequently above the giving of advice...perhaps we might receive a contingency of the Vatican Guards for deployment domestically or abroad...a "God Squad" if you will...

Neserk
Jun 13, 2004, 03:40 PM
Well, it's nice he is asking SOMEBODY for help for once...I was under the impression he had a direct line to the Big Man Upstairs and was consequently above the giving of advice...perhaps we might receive a contingency of the Vatican Guards for deployment domestically or abroad...a "God Squad" if you will...

He just wants them to tell all Catholics if they don't vote for him they are going to hell. He is getting more and more desperate.