Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinibook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Geneva ,Switzerland
I was browsing around http://www.apple.com/games and onto the MWNY feature and i said this....

"The newest iMacs and Power Macs will be on hand, with amazing graphics and rich sound provided by NVIDIA GeForce4 video cards and Harman Kardon speakers"

This makes it look certain that iMacs will include upgraded graphics cards....

Penny for your thoughts :)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
AH!

Now they finally had something leaked!! :eek: :D

So we can expect 17" iMacs with GF4 MX... Yikes! Not bad for a consumer level!

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
But you've got to admit that it's pretty vague, and even if not a 'typo' per se, it could easily be a case of 'bad' English...
The word 'newest', for example means something completely different from 'new', and the reference to the GeForce4 probably just refers to the best of breed card that Apple offers.
Sorry but I'm more inclined to put this down to poor subbing rather than an indication of future specs.
jx

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
I think the english is pretty bad, but I don't think that this is a typo. Newest really means most new, or rather, thats whats meant when it is written. Anyhting New is newest overanything Old. New isn't really comparative, it is new ot it is not new. That said, whoever wrote this wasn't thinking like that. Wether it is badly writen or not, I think we can still believe it. If they want bigger screens and res, a new card would also be in line.

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
Both the iMac and eMac use it...

Would they change both models or just the more expensive iMac?!

kevinibook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Geneva ,Switzerland
I have noo clue 'bout that , I just wonder what's going to happend with ATI and their Radeon cards, 'cause if the entire desktop line used NVIDIA then.... ATI might stop producing the Mac edition of the Radeon for the desktop... hmmm...

kevinibook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Geneva ,Switzerland
Actually, rephrase that. Thought you were talking 'bout the Power Mac. No i think the eMac will stay at the GeForce 2 MX level or it might be given the overstocked Radeon 7500 card....

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
If they bump the speed on the iMacs then certainly they should bump the vid card. Apple does sell it part and parcel as a game machine for the average gamer.

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
May be an option of having a GeForce4 Ti would be nice. On the other hand that would make iMac too expensive for people like me. GeForce4 Ti would be usefull only in games, for me i would like DDRAM to increase overall performace. I am worried they would not do it.:mad:

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I don't think they will. DDR ram will be a selling point for their pro line, so the imac probably wouldn't get it until the next revision. What's even worse is that apple may even just offer DDR ram for the two highest end power macs and leave the lowest end one with the current mobo, but with a faster processor. That'll help get rid of their current inventories and it'll draw people in (sorta).
It's all speculation at this time of course.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
i am totally sure these will hit mwny

iMac G4
15" 1280*960 screen like TiBook's
1 GHz G4
PC-133 SDRAM (please steve ddr..damn,he wont do it)
GeForce4 MX 64 MB DDR RAM
SuperDrive blah blah..

PowerMac G4
1 GHz/1.2 GHz Dual/1.4 GHz/1.5 GHz Dual or.. 1.4 Ghz Dual and 1.5 Ghz single..whatever,1.5 ghz man,ain't that nice!
DDR RAM
GeForce 4 MX & Ti

my point is..there will be new imacs and powermacs
-talk about ipod on windows using XMac and maybe somethong w/ ipod like iPod SE w/ mic and fm/am radio
-iApps..new iApps
-something totally extremely super-cool,a super revolutionary digital lifestyle thingie which completes digital hub..not

Pin-Fisher

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Marlton NJ
Ok ok ....Im new to the Mac world and I am slowly bieng pulled away from the dark side. If they come out with a 17" GeForce 4 Imac with superdrive they will have me camping at the local outlet to get one for me and one for my girl....oh man......

The English...

The English is perfect on Apple's MWNY '02 Games page.

The newest iMacs and Power Macs will be on hand, with amazing graphics and rich sound provided by NVIDIA GeForce4 video cards and Harman Kardon speakers — both sure to add to your heart-pounding gaming experience. [http://www.apple.com]

Simply means the latest of those two Macs will be at MWNY (hinting us that no updates on hardware, maybe just announcements) demoing games. Maybe a typo was with the GeForce4 as the iMacs do not have them; maybe they meant `GeForce.'

southworth

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
new york
yeah, sorry to break it to you guys, but that line on their page really means nothing.... just read it literally... there's nothing new on that page...

// michael

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Originally posted by kevinibook
I have noo clue 'bout that , I just wonder what's going to happend with ATI and their Radeon cards, 'cause if the entire desktop line used NVIDIA then.... ATI might stop producing the Mac edition of the Radeon for the desktop... hmmm...

Well... ATI still holds Apple's portable market, so I wouldn't think they would stop their whole radeon cards & chipsets for Apple. The GeForce series still carry too much heat, and draw too much power for Apple's line of portables, so we shouldn't see a GeForce 4 Mobility inside a Powerbook for a while.

Always remember that Ati & nVidia are fighting a war for marketshare. Similar to the browser war a few years ago... Ati wouldn't just 'stop' overnight their mac support, because that would lead their rival to take over that Arena. Now if this was Ati vs. another graphics company, this would be a different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.