PDA

View Full Version : What is 'Folding'?

wowser
Jun 13, 2004, 09:08 PM
I have seen lots of stuff floated about on this forum about 'folding' ; people joing 'folding teams'; 'folding at home' and so forth. I have absolutely no idea of what all this is about. Could someone enlighten me? :p Can anyone join this 'free mason' like secret society?

jeremy.king
Jun 13, 2004, 10:11 PM
Allergic to google?

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

wowser
Jun 13, 2004, 10:19 PM
hehe. Yes, i did see that page in a Google search. So it's about this whole protein thing , is it? I see - i'll check out the details.

bousozoku
Jun 13, 2004, 11:41 PM
Also, please take a look at our FAQ thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=21908

wowser
Jun 14, 2004, 07:11 AM
it all looks rather worthwhile :)

bousozoku
Jun 14, 2004, 10:34 AM
it all looks rather worthwhile :)

It's even more worthwhile if you know someone afflicted with something directly related to the mis-folding of proteins. It might even help you someday. :)

wowser
Jun 14, 2004, 11:24 AM
well you know the poem "first they came for the jews, and i did not speak out, because i was not a jew..."

wdlove
Jun 14, 2004, 11:32 AM
I certainly hope that you will decide to join our team, 3446. Folding is such a worthwhile cause, research to hep all of mankind.

wowser
Jun 14, 2004, 01:00 PM
I think i will - It would be probably best to wait till next term (Fall) , as i'll once again have a constant and fast net connection. I'm up for helping mankind :)

TMA
Jun 14, 2004, 01:04 PM
I think i will - It would be probably best to wait till next term (Fall) , as i'll once again have a constant and fast net connection. I'm up for helping mankind :)

A constant and/or fast connection wont make much difference. Depending on your machine and how long you leave it running, it can take from a few days to several weeks to complete a work unit. It only needs to use the connection when you finish a unit. I'd say there's no time like the present!

bousozoku
Jun 14, 2004, 01:14 PM

If you're on dialup at present, you might see 3-4 minutes for downloading a work unit and the necessary core to process it on the front end and 3-4 minutes to upload the finished results on the back end. Other than that, an internet connection is not necessary at all.

Autumn is still a couple thousand points away. ;)

paperkirin
Jun 14, 2004, 01:32 PM
As you might notice, as of now, I'm folding away on dialup. Haven't noticed any slowdown (I'm using the terminal app).

wowser
Jun 14, 2004, 02:43 PM
OK. I am going with the screensaver option. Do i need opther software, or just the screensaver?

bousozoku
Jun 14, 2004, 02:55 PM
OK. I am going with the screensaver option. Do i need opther software, or just the screensaver?

While that's enough to get you started, please don't expect to make much headway with the screensaver. If you're looking for results and want something graphical, choose the GUI version. Yes, it has an impact on your machine at all times, but the impact is very low. On the other hand, I consider the impact that playing games has on my folding potential. :D

wowser
Jun 14, 2004, 03:07 PM
I'll see how the screensaver goes, then move over to the proper thing ;) I think i may have problems with my university firewall, though

wowser
Jun 15, 2004, 06:08 PM
Right - I'm suing the text client now. Though i thought it was supposed to run in the background, it appears in the dock and stuff whilst it is running . Is this normal? also, if i am unable to do much folding, does the team suffer? I wouldn't want to let people down