PDA

View Full Version : Best UK sim only deals for iPhone? Unlimited data, etc..

Matteh117
Jul 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
My original iPhone contract is due to expire and I want to use a PAYG or a monthly contract sim offer..

I text... a lot, so I want unlimited texts, 500+ minutes and unlimited data.

I know O2 do bolt-ons and unlimited texts etc but is there any that have great deals? Might take a trip into town at the weekend and ask in store for their deals.

Topup 30 a month on o2 and get unlimited texts and I think you get a free bolt on (internet..)? That then gives me 30 of calls. I don't mind that but if there's better... please let me know.

mcmonkiez
Jul 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
My original iPhone contract is due to expire and I want to use a PAYG or a monthly contract sim offer..

I know O2 do bolt-ons and unlimited texts etc but is there any that have great deals? Might take a trip into town at the weekend and ask in store for their deals.

Topup 30 a month on o2 and get unlimited texts and I think you get a free bolt on (internet..)? That then gives me 30 of calls. I don't mind that but if there's better... please let me know.

O2 is crap!

regarding its pay and go or pay monthly 3G coverage is very poor.

soon o2 3g speed will get worst as soon as palm pre launch between O2 is the worst network in the UK anyway if u talking about coverage.

just21
Jul 27, 2009, 02:09 PM
If you have a 3g iphone then use the three network as version 3 of the iphone os prefers a 2g signal, unlike version 2.2.1 which was much better. Three being 3g only forces the iphone to use a 3g signal. It is so bad where I live that I am considering cancelling the last fivr months of my contract. I have tested all 5 uk networks at my home in central London. http://bestiphonenetwork.blogspot.com

rb-mac
Jul 28, 2009, 03:52 PM
I find o2's 3g coverage to be very good and combined with the iphone it's awesome. For 20 per month sim only they do 600 minutes and 1200 texts plus a free web bolt on if you choose. Otherwise i would go for a T-mobile sim only as they do the best sim only deals (http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk/). You can compare offers on this site http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk/

Moi un Mouton
Jul 28, 2009, 04:19 PM
^^ +1

I reckon O2's Simplicity deal of 600 + 1200 + web for under 20 is good value. If you just call Cancellations they can switch you to it, they have that ability - so same SIM, no hassle.

Badandy
Jul 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
O2 is crap!

Around London my O2 coverage was fantastic, but I was using Edge. Their bolt-on is extremely affordable and I thought they had great prices.

jayenh
Jul 29, 2009, 05:54 AM
^^ +1

I reckon O2's Simplicity deal of 600 + 1200 + web for under 20 is good value. If you just call Cancellations they can switch you to it, they have that ability - so same SIM, no hassle.

thanks for the info on this one. my contract ends soon and i'm a heavy texter. this looks like one of the best options. will call them on saturday when i'm up for renewal and can give my months notice, will see what they say about switching.

iphonedeals
Jul 31, 2009, 12:24 AM

Hi, If you are not satisfied with the network services and performance of O2 then there are other network service providers too that are ready to offer you iPhone deals (http://www.i-phonedeals.co.uk). In these you get more flexibility and gifts with a choice to get the iPhone 3G, 3GS or the older iPhone. When it comes to fast performance you need to go for the iPhone 3G S as it is twice faster than iPhone 3G.

Choose an affordable plan with iPhone that give you the best performance.

molala
Aug 6, 2009, 01:17 PM
I find o2's 3g coverage to be very good and combined with the iphone it's awesome. For 20 per month sim only they do 600 minutes and 1200 texts plus a free web bolt on if you choose. Otherwise i would go for a T-mobile sim only as they do the best sim only deals (http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk/). You can compare offers on this site http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk/

Thanks for the link. I've been thinking of switching out of O2 simplicity and looking at T-mobile. But 12p/minute voicemail is going to add up. It's unusual and stingy not to offer it free.

Rich-P
Nov 23, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hi,

There's a number of sim only deals (http://www.simonlyoffers.com) that give you unlimited text and mobile internet plus decent minutes, like the T-Mobile sim only deal that gives you 600 minutes in addition to a free mobile internet and unlimited texts for 20 per month. There's also a free a handset at the moment with the one of the Vodafone deals. I run www.simonlyoffers.com and can tell you that the Vodafone sim only deals are the most popular at the moment, there's one for 20 a month that gives you unlimited mobile internet and texts + 900 minutes that's worth a look.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rich

Zer0
Dec 7, 2009, 06:39 AM
I have the original iPhone. Unlocked. Got a T-Mobile sim only plan.
20 a month gets me Unlimited text + 600 mins free + Internet Access

The network coverage is a shame though an I would probably be terminating my contract pretty soon just for that reason!

iBrody
Dec 7, 2009, 08:05 AM
I have an unlocked 3G iPhone and coming up to the last month of contract from O2.

I want to go on either a 30 day sim only contract or PAYG (just until the next iphone is released). I only use up to 250 mins and 100 texts per month plus I need unlimited data (Don't need Cloud wifi or visual voicemail).

Vodafone and O2 are the only networks in my area that have an okayish 3G signal although from memory, but Voda has better call quality.

Anyone know the best deal for my cirscumstances? PAYG vs sim only? Voda vs O2 (cheapest deal needed).

Ideally I don't want to pay more than 15 per month. I am thinking that the O2 PAYG is probably going to be best unless anyone has any other options.

I was thinking of phoning O2 on the 12th (one month notice) and saying I want to go on to simplicity (20 option), but state that as I never use half of the mins or texts, whether they will give me a discount. They will prob laugh down the phone but still, if you don't ask...

Moi un Mouton
Dec 7, 2009, 08:36 AM
I have an unlocked 3G iPhone and coming up to the last month of contract from O2.

I want to go on either a 30 day sim only contract or PAYG (just until the next iphone is released). I only use up to 250 mins and 100 texts per month plus I need unlimited data (Don't need Cloud wifi or visual voicemail).

Vodafone and O2 are the only networks in my area that have an okayish 3G signal although from memory, but Voda has better call quality.

Anyone know the best deal for my cirscumstances? PAYG vs sim only? Voda vs O2 (cheapest deal needed).

Ideally I don't want to pay more than 15 per month. I am thinking that the O2 PAYG is probably going to be best unless anyone has any other options.

I was thinking of phoning O2 on the 12th (one month notice) and saying I want to go on to simplicity (20 option), but state that as I never use half of the mins or texts, whether they will give me a discount. They will prob laugh down the phone but still, if you don't ask...

There's a chance they'll do it.

I rang up to cancel my monthly contract, and when I got through to Retentions they were really good in terms of what they'd offer. I ended up on Simplicity 15, with a free Web bolt-on thrown in. That's 300 mins and 600 texts, plus unlimited 3G web access, plus free O2 to O2 calls, for 15/month. It definitely helps to go down the "I want to cancel my contract" route as your opener, you're then talking to people who are paid just to keep you as a customer ;)

Note also that they are also just launching Simplicity for iPhone at 20/month, gives you 600 mins, 1200 texts, Web, Wifi, VVM all included! There's a thread about it on this forum.

musio
Dec 7, 2009, 09:18 AM
for the fact o2 bolt on unlimited DATA, WIFI (which is important and you can get wifi everywhere in london) AND visual voicemail, it's a great deal.

no problems at all with coverage in london. Customer services are great unlike orange who are bots who never have even seen some of the phones they 'support'

iBrody
Dec 7, 2009, 11:03 AM
There's a chance they'll do it.

I rang up to cancel my monthly contract, and when I got through to Retentions they were really good in terms of what they'd offer. I ended up on Simplicity 15, with a free Web bolt-on thrown in. That's 300 mins and 600 texts, plus unlimited 3G web access, plus free O2 to O2 calls, for 15/month. It definitely helps to go down the "I want to cancel my contract" route as your opener, you're then talking to people who are paid just to keep you as a customer ;)

Note also that they are also just launching Simplicity for iPhone at 20/month, gives you 600 mins, 1200 texts, Web, Wifi, VVM all included! There's a thread about it on this forum.

Thanks for this info. Fingers crossed they will give me simplicity for 15 then.

Out of interest, is the cheapest sim only deal on Voda (with web) 20 pm?

iBrody
Dec 14, 2009, 05:27 AM
Phoned O2 on saturday, explained that I only use 200 mins a month and asked if they could customise me a sim-only deal, they couldn't. I asked to switch the sim to a PAYG sim.

I went on to the Vodafone site and decided to use their chat service (as my iphone is now unlocked). Spoke to someone called Janet who said I should call their sales team who will 'guarantee' me 300 mins, unlimited texts and internet for 15pm on a 30 day contract (only the '3' network currently offers this deal).

Phoned the sales team, they laughed, I emailed a copy of the chat transcript, they honoured my request stating that this is a one-off and they cannot do this for any friends or family that I might tell.

So I got 300 mins, unlimited texts and data for 15 on a 30 day contract - yay for me!

If anyone else wants to try this, I suggest using the chat service (you need to go to the website and hang around the webpages where you can chose new phones/contracts etc), then when the chat service comes up, the person will try and fob you off with one of their online offers, and will ask you to call their sales/new connections team to try and customise something.

Before calling the sales team, make sure the 'chat' person is aware of what you require, and the price you are willing to pay and then make sure that they guarantee you will get the deal when phoning the sales team. Make sure you email yourself a copy of the transcript.

If you have no luck, just refresh your cookies, revisit the site and keep trying until dumbass Janet pops up. Good luck to anyone else who tries this.

tonynz
Dec 14, 2009, 05:32 AM
I'm on o2 Simplicity and paying 15 for unlimited data, 300 minutes and 600 texts.....

iBrody
Dec 14, 2009, 05:47 AM
I'm on o2 Simplicity and paying 15 for unlimited data, 300 minutes and 600 texts.....

I cannot see the deal you are referring to. Is it no longer offered?

redgaz26
Dec 14, 2009, 08:14 AM
I really think it depends on who you talk to, if you get some know it all they will not give you anything unless it's written down in the 02 bible!
I phoned up to get on the iphone simplicity 20 sim only and have just found they only put be on the normal simplicity deal so i'm now without visual voice mail and the wifi hot spots:eek:

iBrody
Dec 14, 2009, 08:56 AM
I really think it depends on who you talk to, if you get some know it all they will not give you anything unless it's written down in the 02 bible!
I phoned up to get on the iphone simplicity 20 sim only and have just found they only put be on the normal simplicity deal so i'm now without visual voice mail and the wifi hot spots:eek:

If you phone O2 and go straight through to disconnections they will change the tariff for you. It seems that the sales staff are still unaware of the iphone 20 tariff but the guy I spoke with in disconnections on Saturday was more than happy to put me on it (although I declined).

tico24
Dec 14, 2009, 09:06 AM
If you phone O2 and go straight through to disconnections they will change the tariff for you. It seems that the sales staff are still unaware of the iphone 20 tariff but the guy I spoke with in disconnections on Saturday was more than happy to put me on it (although I declined).

How are you guys getting straight through to disconnections?
I've tried to call o2 4 times now, got bored after around 40 mins for each call.

And they wonder why I want to leave!

iBrody
Dec 14, 2009, 01:02 PM
How are you guys getting straight through to disconnections?
I've tried to call o2 4 times now, got bored after around 40 mins for each call.

And they wonder why I want to leave!

It's the option 'if you are thinking of leaving O2' and yeah, you will be on hold for a gazellion years! Spose everyone who took the 18 month 3G contract are all trying to change their tariff this week.

May be quicker going through to customer services and then asking them to transfer you to disconnections if the wait is impossible...

I was on hold 50 mins on Saturday and 20 this morning.

tico24
Dec 14, 2009, 01:06 PM
It's the option 'if you are thinking of leaving O2' and yeah, you will be on hold for a gazellion years! Spose everyone who took the 18 month 3G contract are all trying to change their tariff this week.

May be quicker going through to customer services and then asking them to transfer you to disconnections if the wait is impossible...

I was on hold 50 mins on Saturday and 20 this morning.

If they're interested in keeping me as a customer, they should answer the phone quicker. You don't see sales taking 50 mins to answer the phone.

I've sent o2 an email and a tweet. If I don't get a response by the end of the week I'll go elsewhere.

iBrody
Dec 14, 2009, 01:56 PM
If they're interested in keeping me as a customer, they should answer the phone quicker. You don't see sales taking 50 mins to answer the phone.

I've sent o2 an email and a tweet. If I don't get a response by the end of the week I'll go elsewhere.

Good luck with the email! I emailed them 3 times throughout the latter part of Nov and beginning of Dec asking what options I will have on the 12th December. They didn't reply to any of the emails.

Hoping that by going to Voda, that the 3G coverage will be better.

erasr
Dec 14, 2009, 04:13 PM
I've been on the phone to O2 last couple of days too, about cancelling. They won't let me no matter what I've threatened (obviously because I'm still contracted).

This is how it works...if you are a Gold member, which a lot of people are without knowing it, they will change your contract if needed 3 months before it's due to expire. Most people think it's 1 month before, I doubt you are getting anything special here being able to change contracts, it's just they can do it 3 months early.

tico24
Dec 16, 2009, 12:49 AM
Well... o2 replied to my email. (Took them 4 days mind).
They offered me the standard 30 iphone tariff (75 minutes and 125 texts).

I told them to get lost and I gave them a hint that I might be hankering for the iphone simplicity 20!

I'll wait another 4 days and see what happens.

alexcarter123
Jan 11, 2010, 01:14 PM
HI

I'm after some advice.

Basically i'm wanting to get an iPhone with a contract of up to 15 a month providing unlimited internet.

I've found that 3 do a sim only package of 300 mins UNLIMITED texts + INTERNET for 15.

So basically if i got an unlocked iPhone would i be able to use the 3 sim card to browse the internet using 3g as if it were an o2 sim?
thanks

shaiboyuk
Feb 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
HI

I'm after some advice.

Basically i'm wanting to get an iPhone with a contract of up to 15 a month providing unlimited internet.

I've found that 3 do a sim only package of 300 mins UNLIMITED texts + INTERNET for 15.

So basically if i got an unlocked iPhone would i be able to use the 3 sim card to browse the internet using 3g as if it were an o2 sim?
thanks

Hi alexcarter123,

how did you get on, did you get the 3 sim for 15? did it work out?
interested also as i should be getting a iphone 3gs at weekend and want to do the same thing.

Thanks
Shaiboy_UK

marcandsebe
Dec 15, 2011, 02:00 PM
If you have a 3g iphone then use the three network as version 3 of the iphone os prefers a 2g signal, unlike version 2.2.1 which was much better. Three being 3g only forces the iphone to use a 3g signal. It is so bad where I live that I am considering cancelling the last fivr months of my contract. I have tested all 5 uk networks at my home in central London. http://bestiphonenetwork.blogspot.com

I went to Three with a great deal or so I though. 25 per month for 2000 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data. The only trouble is that the phone does not work in Kew and Esher areas very well. 2 places I was working at. I could not receive or make calls. This is ok for Devon and Cornwall, but not London where you would expect it to work.:apple: