PDA

View Full Version : A look at Apple’s international figures

MacBytes
Jul 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: A look at Apple’s international figures (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090727104620)
Description:: Although Apple had a great third fiscal quarter, it still has some work to do outside the US.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Evangelion
Jul 27, 2009, 10:51 AM
Apple doesn't seem to care abou international sales as much as US sales. An example: US is filled with Apple stores, whereas there is just handful of stores in the entire Europe. Hell, I bet that California alone has more stores than entire Europe has!

igazza
Jul 27, 2009, 10:56 AM
There are only about 50 apple stores outside of the united states, probably has alot to do with sales

BongoBanger
Jul 28, 2009, 01:24 AM
Actually it's not so much that Apple doesn't care about Europe and Asia it's just that there simply isn't the same demand in those areas for Macs. Success in one market doesn't translate to others.

What is interesting is that the increase in Mac sales in the US appears to be driven by the price cuts - in the Europe we had the refresh but the prices remained the same or higher due to currency exchange rates, the result being a sequential decrease in sales. Contrast this to the US where the price cut took effect.

dumell
Jul 28, 2009, 02:06 AM
I have never seen a single ad by Apple here in Finland (I have once seen an ad for Apple laptops by an independent store though). In contrast, HP, Microsoft, Dell, Fujitsu, Acer and so on advertise everywhere and all the time. Likewise, Microsoft has a huge presence here: a large headquarter, lots of consultants, customer events and so on - and the same goes for HP, Fujitsu, Dell, Acer and all the others. But not Apple, as far as I know Apple has no presence what so ever in Finland. You can buy Apple products in some department stores and some independent stores but that's it.

The closest Apple store is probably in Germany - three hours by airplane...

It is a small wonder they are getting any computers at all sold here.

jodelli
Jul 28, 2009, 02:28 AM
I have never seen a single ad by Apple here in Finland (I have once seen an ad for Apple laptops by an independent store though). In contrast, HP, Microsoft, Dell, Fujitsu, Acer and so on advertise everywhere and all the time. Likewise, Microsoft has a huge presence here: a large headquarter, lots of consultants, customer events and so on - and the same goes for HP, Fujitsu, Dell, Acer and all the others. But not Apple, as far as I know Apple has no presence what so ever in Finland. You can buy Apple products in some department stores and some independent stores but that's it.

A few years ago Linus Torvalds stated that he wasn't too impressed with Macs. Maybe there's a grudge;)

point665
Jul 28, 2009, 10:29 AM

Yep... I lived in Finland between 05-07 (and was actually born in Helsinki) - was shocked at how "design" schools lacked Macs (they stated it was because of the high costs compared to PCs)... Seemed that only high end design studios were equipped with them. Even ordering a freaking iPod from Apple was a hassle. For example you order something, use a credit card - then they give you a confirmation that is dependent on your payment going through. A few days later (over here card processing is immediate) you get an email from Apple that they have processed the payment, then two weeks later you see the iPod in the mail (it comes from the UK). I know you could buy them in-store from a retailer but honestly I purchase everything straight from Apple and so far have had no problems purchasing anything from them for over a decade now in the US.

Its not only their lack of retail stores and pain of ordering from them... there are also issues with getting something repaired, warranty, etc. It really becomes a hassle. In fact, my relatives usually end up purchasing machines from here when they come for vacation.

Apple just does not have the presence in Europe that it does over here... some could say its due to a lack of demand, but honestly I think if they came with a strong front they could market it. Heck, alot of people I met in Europe didn't even know what Macs were or if they did they thought they were just another PC brand and saw no benefit in paying more.

dumell
Jul 28, 2009, 02:12 PM
I lived in Finland between 05-07 (and was actually born in Helsinki) - was shocked at how "design" schools lacked Macs (they stated it was because of the high costs compared to PCs)...

When I started studying in 1993 there where quite a lot of Macs at the university - Macintosh IIsomething running System 6 or something like that. Apple actually had a large market share here in Finland in the educational market and with (print)media companies. Then something happened and the Macs, as they got old, where replaced not with new Macs but with PC's running Windows or Sun Solaris workstations - and Sun was not a cheap replacement. But yes, they where mainly replaced with Windows PCs.

It's not like Apple hasn't yet come here, they where here and left. Perhaps the financial troubles they had in the late '90s forced them to scale back their global presence and focus mainly on their domestic market.

Today, I don't view Apple as a global company the same way that Microsoft, HP or Google are truly global companies.

jodelli
Jul 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
This makes me a little bit nervous. I remember Atari users rationalizing 'They're selling in Europe'. When sales figures become limited to certain geographic areas it's never good news, even if we're talking about the US.

OllyW
Jul 28, 2009, 04:45 PM
Though European sales are down, Apple recently hit the UK top 5 (http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=25950&pagtype=allchandate) for the first time ever.

I don't think it's much of a coincidence that 21 out of the 26 Apple Stores in Europe are located in the UK.