Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vivaldi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
I have a MacBook (Late 2008) that's been using an DVI-based external monitor (Mini-DVI — DVI converter) for the past few months. It's been working well up until today, when at startup the monitor remains black after the Apple and spinning gears. According to the monitor, there is indeed a signal coming through, and interestingly if I connect the monitor to the computer, the MacBook screen flashes blue constantly until I remove the monitor cable.

Any clues as to why this is happening? Thanks for any input.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Has your mini-DVI port started feeling different lately, like it used to click and now doesn't?

That was a problem some experienced a little while back and will be covered by your warranty. The other thing you can do first is try resetting your PRAM.

Vivaldi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
I haven't noticed anything in regards to the guiding of the port/converter, so I'm not sure if it is indeed a port problem or not. However, a PRAM reset did nothing of any value.

Tomorrow I think I'll drop by an Apple Store to see if it can be repaired. How long does the repair usually take?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.