PDA

View Full Version : Worth Upgrading to an Intuos?

KeithPratt
Jul 28, 2009, 06:36 AM
I've had a Graphire for a while now and whilst it's an improvement over drawing with a mouse I can't help but feel there could be better. Would an Intuos feel smoother and more tactile? A bit of extra canvas would be desirable too, but I don't think I'd need (or perhaps even like) anything bigger than a medium/A5 wide.

So with what little you know of me, do you think I'd be delighted or disappointed by an upgrade to an Intuos?

GoCubsGo
Jul 28, 2009, 06:55 AM
So with what little you know of me, do you think I'd be delighted or disappointed by an upgrade to an Intuos?
LOL

Ok but really. May I ask what you do with your Intuos? The reason I ask is I do some airbrushing and the extra levels are great. Photos, I would say a graphire would work fine. The extra canvas area of the Intuos and now the ones that come in widescreen are very nice. I admit I miss my old 9x12 as I sold it and bought v2 at 6x8 due to space limitations in the past. The dislike I have about the design today is the large area that is outside the working area.

Anyway, knowing what you do would be best.

KeithPratt
Jul 28, 2009, 11:04 AM
Anyway, knowing what you do would be best.

I do a little graphic design (t-shirts mostly; nothing too technical or important) and a little Photoshop. But I'm also thinking of having a go at using it for video software.

Gerald Chipeur
Jul 29, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hey there,

I'm not really sure what people use as an alternative to Photoshop/Illustrator besides Xara or GIMP for design. I have always stuck with the Adobe software and just recently invested in a full portable set up including a Macbook 13' Unibody and the small Intous4.

I absolutely love the Intous4 for everything and I'm not even 100% used to all the functions. Personally I think the Intuos are a great investment for any designer, but I'm sure it's subjective depending on what exactly it is you do.

Bojingle
Aug 2, 2009, 03:07 PM
I just upgraded to a small Intuos4 myself from a Graphire 3. I really can't tell any significant differences between them, honestly. Though I'm still getting used to it as it is a little different. The surface is more like drawing on paper.

I'm not sure if a new tablet can necessarily 'make' you better at what your using. Sure it can help though. Maybe you'll see a bigger difference than I do. I mean, I do see a difference but it's not like 'holy /crap/ this is amazing.' It was more of an 'Ooo. This is kinda...odd.' But then again I've been using my graphire for 6 years now, so I have to adjust and maybe once I get over the newness I'll realize all the awesome potential it has.

I have a friend that does stuff like this (http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs43/i/2009/131/7/5/Khreed_Characters__Sunspot_by_86Caskin.jpg) on a Bamboo. She also had an Intuos3 at one point and said she didn't see a huge jump in difference P:

But hey, who knows? Maybe you'll love it and see a huge improvement.

KeithPratt
Aug 3, 2009, 09:02 AM
The surface is more like drawing on paper.

That's something I was hoping to hear. I find my hand rubs on the plastic-y surface of the Graphire.

I've decided I'm going to get the medium Intuos. I think the extra surface area is enough to justify it.

Thanks all for your help.