PDA

View Full Version : 20GB iPod, and iTunes update

arn
Jul 12, 2002, 12:35 PM
ThinkSecret reports (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/mwny02ipoditunes.html) on new iPod and iTunes, supporting AAC as well as larger iPod models:

...sources confirmed that an iPod with a 20GB hard drive, priced at $499, will be added to the product line. The original 5GB iPod will be discontinued, while Apple will cut the price of the 10GB model to $399.

synergy
Jul 12, 2002, 12:52 PM
No price drop? A price drop would have been nice.
Still think its a tad pricey even though I know I will end up buying one.

20GB sounds real nice too.:cool:

backspinner
Jul 12, 2002, 01:11 PM
We all know the parts the iPod is made of are that expensive. And I think that they are selling well enough even with this price level.

stoid
Jul 12, 2002, 01:12 PM
The only question now is how many songs your can fit in your pocket?

5GB - 1000
10GB - 2000
20GB - 4000
20GB (with 50% smaller AAC files) - 8000

So it looks like we're up to 8000 songs in your pocket, yeah, I wonder if Apple will round up to 10,000. 20GB will be nice, because I think that gets it up to speed with the competition size. Will it have the same form factor?

Eslyjah
Jul 12, 2002, 01:15 PM
If it is true, I hope they take the opportunity to upgrade everything to Firewire 2. 20 GBs needs some fast transfer speeds.

stoid
Jul 12, 2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Eslyjah
If it is true, I hope they take the opportunity to upgrade everything to Firewire 2. 20 GBs needs some fast transfer speeds.

Good point, what ever happened to FW2??

Moonlight
Jul 12, 2002, 01:24 PM
Do we really need 20gb in out iPods ? Reducing the price of the iPods we have would be better, while adding more fuctionality to them

drastik
Jul 12, 2002, 01:33 PM
we probably don't need 20 gigs for music, but as a portable firewire drive, its a good size. carry it around for your music and your files, increase PDA funtionality, and you have an all around wonder.

I would like to see sometype of input or mic setup. Thatway, it could be come a true mobile device for audio and video. Imagine, taking out your iPod to get the sound for a video project. Its small and unobstrusive and even if you can see it, it looks cool. Now, hook up to your powerbook and pull out the audio, use the drive space to create an offlineRT project in Final Cut. Strap on your headphones, that you just used to monitor your levels, and take it home. Plug it into a fullscale editing system and rock it out.

Ah, if only:D

pgwalsh
Jul 12, 2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Moonlight
Do we really need 20gb in out iPods ? Reducing the price of the iPods we have would be better, while adding more fuctionality to them
I agree! That makes me think that they'll add addiontal features to the iPod.

Moonlight
Jul 12, 2002, 01:41 PM
What would be cool to add to the iPod is for them to work with our digital cameras, so we can download ouir images off the flash memory onto the iPods big HD. We need a usb to firewire adapter and some iPod software that lets us download from the camera and maybe view the names of the files we are downloading, and be able to organize them (and maybe all the files on out iPod) if we could do that it would be amazing, sort of like what the Mindstor digital wallet does.

Timothy
Jul 12, 2002, 01:56 PM
Now, finally, I'll buy.

jelloshotsrule
Jul 12, 2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Moonlight

the price was reduced though... now, if you want the 10 gb instead of the 20... you pay 399 instead of 499....

and the usage as a hard drive is an excellent point. as well as the aac file size...

this is all assuming that this is what we see happen...

Vijay
Jul 12, 2002, 02:01 PM
>Do we really need 20gb in out iPods

Increased capacity = increased functionality. It goes from being simply an MP3 walkman to being a way to carry an entire music collection around. I have filled my 10G version, could easily fill a 20G version, and my only complaint is on the occasion when I'm in the car and decide to listen a particular song, only to remember I didn't load that up last time I sync'ed my iPod.

Anyway, the report does indicate a price drop: the 10G goes from $499 to $399.

Vijay R.

pgwalsh
Jul 12, 2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Vijay
when I'm in the car and decide to listen a particular song, only to remember I didn't load that up last time I sync'ed my iPod.
[/B]
How are you using it in your car? Do you use one of those tape inserts or something else?

elensil
Jul 12, 2002, 02:21 PM
What I really want is a cheaper iPod. How about that rumored 2gb model. Price it $199 and I'll buy it. Apple has to remember that it has a following among college students, and it has to meet their needs.
At least don't discontinue the 5gb model, and I might think about it for $299

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 12, 2002, 02:24 PM
Crap, who cares about the iPod? (Don't answer that, I know some of you do) Shoot, let's update the iPod and iMac G4s twice before we even touch the PowerMacs. WE WANT NEW POWERMACS!

How trustworthy is Think Secret? I just got on the rumor bandwagon this MW Expo and am curious what their past performance has been. Were they one of the rumor sites spouting 1.2/1.4/1.6 GHz G5's for MWSF? If so, I'm not taking much stock in their rumors. But if ya'll tell me Think Secret has been right on with their predictions the last 4 MacWorlds, well, then, that's another story.

Although I don't think there is anything you can tell me that will change my mind in that I believe Apple WILL ANNOUNCE new PowerMacs at MWNY. Why wouldn't they, especially if shipping in August? Shoot, it took 1-3 months to get the flat panel iMac line shipping after its announcement (Apple originally said "end of January" for low end iMac, but it took until March to get it shipping). So announcing PowerMacs now and shipping one month later doesn't seem to go against Apple's "no preannouncement" policy. It works well with Jaguar announcement, as new PowerMacs will ship with Jaguar.

17" LCD iMac just doesn't seem to make sense either. That's basically be the low end Powermac w/17" LCD for $600 cheaper (plus factor in Pro speakers and more software titles, and a 17" iMac is a steal if it were $1899). Now I'm starting to think this is all smoke to cover a G5 ANNOUNCEMENT! Here's hoping...

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 12, 2002, 02:30 PM
I just answered my own question by searching the archives. ThinkSecret did NOT predict the G5's last MW, in fact, they called those reports "ridiculous."

They did know about the flat panel iMac, but said it would have a G3 processor.

They also had a few days notice before the combo drive was put in the G4 Powerbook last December.

Think Secret seems to have a pretty good track record, though not 100 percent accurate. Let's just hope what they get wrong this time is no PowerMac announcement (though, they claim 100 percent there will be no PM announcement). I suppose if not, one month won't kill me (though I just sold my slower G4 and will ship it out mid-next week -- got top dollar for it before the expo at least).

Macmaniac
Jul 12, 2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh

How are you using it in your car? Do you use one of those tape inserts or something else?
Dr. Bott sells a car kit with two versions. One that has a tape adapter, the other it an FM attena that you can use to tune into the radio to listen to your iPod. I think Apple should keep the 5gb model and make it $299 I would love to have one;)

Jam
Jul 12, 2002, 02:54 PM
I agree, with the cost being an issue, I want an iPod just for travelling/biking/working out... 1000 songs at a time are more than enough, apple Should introduce a 20gig or up iPod 2 with more features at the $499 price point, but still offer the 5 Gig as an iPod Classic or somesuch for $199 or $249...

pgwalsh
Jul 12, 2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Jam
I want an iPod just for travelling/biking/working out... 1000 songs at a time are more than enough,
I agree with this 100%. I would only buy the iPod for the above activities. However, I sweat profusely and I'd need it to be water-resistant and somewhat shock resistant. So, for now, I don't see the iPod as a purchas, but I did send Apple an email about this a long time ago. It's too bad harddrives are so vulnerable to shock.

Beej
Jul 12, 2002, 03:30 PM
I carry around an external 80 Gig HD with me at work and I travel all around the city. A 40 or 80 Gig iPod (when technology permits) would be a great way to chuck out that big external HD and just carry around an iPod in my pocket.

DavPeanut
Jul 12, 2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by elensil
What I really want is a cheaper iPod. How about that rumored 2gb model. Price it $199 and I'll buy it. Apple has to remember that it has a following among college students, and it has to meet their needs.
At least don't discontinue the 5gb model, and I might think about it for $299
The 2 gb was my idea.

I think that they should bring the 5 GB to $299 and 10 Gb to $399.

Then, they can realease a 20 GB version for $499.

Toshiba also has a 2 GB harddrive out. Some people don't need 5 GB of space for Music. You don't need to have all your music with you all the time. I think they will release a 2 GB version for $199.

Jam
Jul 12, 2002, 03:32 PM
I do have a minidisk player that gets the job done for music to listen to on the go... and I have a firewire portable drive for files to/from work... so it's hard to justify an iPod just for the cool factor. BUT, i drool over most things Apple, so if they would just hook me up with a basic iPod for less cash, i'd be right on it (and i bet a fairnumber of others would to).

oh, and screw quark for no carbon/cocoa version... sorry to get off topic, but I curse at them every day about this.

szark
Jul 12, 2002, 03:59 PM
I have a 20 GB Creative Jukebox which currently has about 3 GB free.

I use it to take my entire music collection on long driving trips so I can listen to anything I might be in the mood for during my vacation.

I would LOVE to see a 20 GB iPod!!!

synergy
Jul 12, 2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by backspinner
We all know the parts the iPod is made of are that expensive. And I think that they are selling well enough even with this price level.

Depends on which parts you are talking about. As the sizes get bumped up then yes the price of those newer larger HDs will be more money. Like others are saying a 199 5GB iPod would do plenty of people well.

As for selling well enough they have taken a 50% cut in sales. Though that is similar to the entire MP3 player market.

TechKid
Jul 12, 2002, 04:39 PM
From some of the rumors I've been hearing, they should concentrate on making the iPod more durable instead of trying to make it bigger. At least give it a 1 year warranty for that kinda price.

zed
Jul 12, 2002, 04:53 PM
I would definitely be all over a cheaper 5Gig iPod...... i can only hope.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people that would love to have an iPod but just cant afford.... how about an ePod for us college students out there :)... it could have a voice recorder built in for those boring professors, or when youve been up too late the night before.

jelloshotsrule
Jul 12, 2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TechKid
From some of the rumors I've been hearing, they should concentrate on making the iPod more durable instead of trying to make it bigger. At least give it a 1 year warranty for that kinda price.

i agree. my brother's failed on him and mine has had some weird things happen with the battery and it crashes a decent amount.... not something i expected

Spock
Jul 12, 2002, 05:39 PM
I want a iPod that has a color LCD and video Out's and be able to download iMovie's, photos and music and play them on a T.v and a T.V tuner so I can watch t.v on my iPod.

solvs
Jul 12, 2002, 05:46 PM
I know it's 90 Days support, but doesn't it have a 1 year hardware warranty like every other Apple product. You should find out. I'd be P*SSed if I spent $500 for something that just stopped working a few months after I got it.

Too bad iPods don't come with Applecare.

nero007
Jul 12, 2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

i agree. my brother's failed on him and mine has had some weird things happen with the battery and it crashes a decent amount.... not something i expected

And I'm sure Apple covered it.

FelixDerKater
Jul 12, 2002, 09:16 PM
Will there be an iPod software update to support AAC on the older iPod (5/10 GB), or will AAC only be available on the newer 20GB iPod? :cool:

mr.w
Jul 12, 2002, 10:24 PM
The question i ask ... will iTunes 3 (or whatever) have MP4 support? if that's the case then 20 gigs = 15,000 songs !!! IF apple does realease a 20gig iPod I'd be psyched about the price drop of the 10gig iPod (that's really all i need)

mr.w
Jul 12, 2002, 10:26 PM
The question i ask ... will iTunes 3 (or whatever) have MP4 support? if that's the case then 20 gigs = 15,000 songs !!! IF apple does realease a 20gig iPod I'd be psyched about the price drop of the 10gig iPod (that's really all i need)

All signs point to yes on the MP4 support, and how many people actually have 15,000 songs... for that reason, i think that aplle will add more functionality to the iPod... let's just hope

sand
Jul 13, 2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by mr.w

I think it will have an ACC encoder.
MP4 is for video, the audio part of MP4 is generally ACC.
I have no doubt about apple will support ACC on iTunes and I think that older Ipod will be upgraded.

It' ll be a great news. I usually like to listen my best music on CD because of the quality is better. I heard 128Kb ACC and It' s really almost the same quality of CD. I'll have to trash my Hi-FI!

mmmdreg
Jul 13, 2002, 08:10 AM
I'd use one of those more as a portable harddrive than audio thingo...I can still fit all my mp3z onto a 5gig iPod even if I don't have one....so yeah..

asparagui
Jul 13, 2002, 09:55 AM
A) Firewire2 is pointless...the drives these things use max out @ 10-12MB sec. No interface can overcome that.

B) AAC is CD quality @ 128kb/sec. It'll depend on what rate you're ripping songs at, but 50% is prob. a little ambitious.

However, AAC quality is largely dependent on how many voices/instruments are playing. I encoded an straight microphone rip of my grandmother playing the moonlight Sonata to a 16kb/sec (2KB/sec!!) AAC. Nobody I've played it to yet has been able to notice a tangible difference between it and the master.

This stuff is cool.

-asparagui

dongmin
Jul 13, 2002, 12:18 PM
If they released a 2 gig iPod, sold it for $200, and made it available for PCs, it would fly off the shelves.

But I don't know if it can go that low. Toshiba sells the 2 gig PC card drive for $299.

jelloshotsrule
Jul 14, 2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by nero007
And I'm sure Apple covered it.

yeah they did... i'm pretty sure the hardware is covered for more than 90 days. it was more than 90 days after he got it that it failed and was covered.....

90 days would be an outrage.

superga
Jul 18, 2002, 05:48 AM
20GB is great ... but the lack of aac support sucks.

They won't release a 2GB version ... the 5GB will disappear soon no doubt. BTW, the 2GB PC cards disks are around 70+tax in the UK ($100)

Does anyone know if there are hardware changes apart from the new wheel on the new 10/20GB ones? I wouldn't be surprised if v2 of the firmware appears a month or so after the 5gb disappears that allows aac playback on the new ipods only. The DSPs in the old ipods (as I remember) were from a family that supported mp3 and windows media only (windows media is derived from mpeg4 though) ...