Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
We are pleased to announce that the aboutDesign glossary application is now available in the AppStore.

about Design is a glossary of design and print terms and technology for the graphic designer or design student. It is the on-going project to create a comprehensive list of general and technical terms used throughout the design industry.

iTunes link

We will be updating and improving the app on a monthly basis, with incremental updates to the database.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
aboutDesign updated to 1.0.1

The new version of aboutDesign has been submitted to Apple for review.

In this update:
-------------------------------------------
40 entries have been updated or corrected.
62 new entries.

Added the ability to display related images.
This allows each entry to have an illustration or picture to improve a users understanding of the term. Images will be added in the next update.
-------------------------------------------

Please visit the aboutdesign app website for up-to-date information on updates and news.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Sorry to say but it isn't a very well designed app.

Interesting viewpoint, but some constructive comments would be welcome. It is aimed mainly at Graphic Designers and Graphic design students, not general design, which can include everything from fashion and textiles to architecture. Like all specific industries, this is aimed at a very focussed group and background.

sain

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
Useful app for people starting out in "design" I guess… but… why the lens flares? :eek: :eek:

Sorry to say but it isn't a very well designed app.

That lens flare is going to make just about every designer cringe

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Although most of the comments are not very constructive, it did prompt a very long and detailed discussion about the look and feel of the app. Our next update will see a change of design, and allow for the additional features we have planned.

Candyman approached us in a very professional way, and we thank him for that.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
As a developer, you're gonna have to accept everyone's feedback as constructive. A good developer listens regardless of if the comments are what you wanted to hear or not. Developers with selective hearing probably work for the government.
And yes, I agree with everyone else that that lens flare is god-awful annoying

DropC

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
i think this app is ok, but a pity that it's glossary only
some images\examples would be useful..

anyway lens flare is not so good for designer's app lol

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
i think this app is ok, but a pity that it's glossary only
some images\examples would be useful..l

DropC. The current update, in review with Apple, includes a simplified design and the ability to have an example or image for each entry. We are working on this at the moment, and a new update with images will be posted in a few weeks time.

candyman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
It took me a while to find this thread and dig it back up. I just wanted to say I like the new cleaner design you have come out with. It is much easier on the eyes and I'll be looking into downloading this soon.

For me, the next best thing would be references photos and/or videos and this app would be a pretty big powerhouse app for and designer or wannabe designer out there looking to learn about the field.

Thanks for listening to the criticisms and polishing things up a bit. Nice job!

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
It took me a while to find this thread and dig it back up. I just wanted to say I like the new cleaner design you have come out with. It is much easier on the eyes and I'll be looking into downloading this soon.

For me, the next best thing would be references photos and/or videos and this app would be a pretty big powerhouse app for and designer or wannabe designer out there looking to learn about the field.

Thanks for listening to the criticisms and polishing things up a bit. Nice job!

Appreciate your words.
You will be happy to know that we are currently adding a visual reference to a great number of the entries, so that typographic and print terms, especially, are better explained. We are also planning on adding links to wikipedia or similar in the not too distant future, so that people can read about a term in more detail.

A new update will be submitted very soon.

iTeleport

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Why is there no design flair in the app?

As a designer myself this app really does offend me. It's just a boring, grey book.

The red colour is just horrible and not easy on the eye. Is the "a" in the app logo squashed? It certainly seems skewed to me.

Also the text is quite horrible to read. Apart from the text on the right being too close to that red scroll bar - is that permanently there? - the font is not readable.

You need to use a serif or a bit more space between the lines to make it read better. Also the app website could be a lot better too.

I do however like the parent company's website, Operandi. Please take some design cues from there, keep the app simple, but stylish.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
1.1 submitted to Apple

An updated version of the app has been uploaded to the Apple review process and includes updates to descriptions, as well as nearly 100 related images that visually support a term. The initial images are mainly for typography and some print terms, but further work continues, with more updates in close succession.

The update is hoped to be available in about 10 - 14 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.