PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Debuts 1 GHz Version of Processor Found in iPhone 3GS

MacRumors
Jul 28, 2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/28/samsung-debuts-1-ghz-version-of-processor-found-in-iphone-3gs/)

Samsung yesterday introduced (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/newsView.do?news_id=1030) a new 1 GHz mobile processor core, code-named "Hummingbird", utilizing the Cortex-A8 implementation found in the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS currently uses a version of the chip running at 600 MHz (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/10/iphone-3g-s-has-a-600-mhz-processor-256mb-of-ram-powervr-sgx/). As noted by CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10296754-64.html), the new processor core could theoretically be dropped into the existing iPhone 3GS design with very few other changes required."Samsung could drop Hummingbird into the existing S5PC100 design with few or no changes," Halfhill said in response to an e-mail query, referring to the S5PC100 processor now used in the iPhone 3GS. "Bingo! A next-gen iPhone that could run at speeds up to 1.0GHz," he said.Apple has, however, in the past underclocked such chips to address heat and power concerns in its mobile devices, so it remains unclear whether a "drop-in" upgrade to 1 GHz would be feasible.

Furthermore, given Apple's product cycle that typically sees new iPhone launches in June or July each year, it is possible that even more advanced chips will be available by the time the iPhone is ready for its next refresh. Previous reports have pointed to (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/16/multi-core-arm-iphone-chips-due-in-2010/) delivery of dual-core mobile chips utilizing next-generation Cortex-A9 technology in 2010, although whether such chips will be shipping in quantity in time for a mid-2010 iPhone launch is also unknown.

Article Link: Samsung Debuts 1 GHz Version of Processor Found in iPhone 3GS (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/28/samsung-debuts-1-ghz-version-of-processor-found-in-iphone-3gs/)

ventro
Jul 28, 2009, 03:28 PM
Introducing the new iPhone with Sure-Melt technology. Once it melts, it'll be sure to fit like a glove in the palm of your hand. Forever.

SFStateStudent
Jul 28, 2009, 03:37 PM
Next they're gonna' put a couple of FANS in the 3GS.....:p:p:p

iCantwait
Jul 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
3gss

iphones4evry1
Jul 28, 2009, 03:52 PM
Competition is a very good thing.

So then, is it safe to say that the new iPhone 3GSS that is coming in June 2010 will have a 1 GHz processor?

Looks like all of the people that skipped the 3GS and are waiting for the next iPhone, are in for a dual-core 1.0GHz+ treat in June 2010. And with the rate of RAM and flash memory prices plummeting, the next iPhone could be a heck of a lot more like a real full-size computer.

Apple's answer to the netbook will finally be here ... in June 2010, as the dual-core, DDR2 RAM, iPhone 3.5G-SS !!!!!!

wizard
Jul 28, 2009, 03:53 PM
I could see this going into Touch no problem. Even more so if Apple could order it with a better GPU. I don't think Apple would bother with a 2GS update as it would confuse the marketplace. The power savings would be nice though even at 600 MHz.

What is obvious is that these process shrinks offer a lot to the potential future devices. In other words we should have 1 GHz devices in the palm of our hands soon. It is also good news if Samsung is going to be PA Semi / Apples foundry. It means Apple could be delivering products on 45nm tech real soon.

Just imagine a quad core ARM SoC running at let's say 800MHz. That should produce a very competitive tablet when compared to what is possible with Intel Atom.

Dave

wizard
Jul 28, 2009, 04:07 PM
So then, is it safe to say that the new iPhone 3GSS that is coming in June 2010 will have a 1 GHz processor?

The problem is it might make more sense to add more cores to ease the problem of power management. So we might get two cores at 800MHz or four at 600MHz. Like current desktop processors you have tobyrade off clock rate aganst cores and come up with a mix that offers optimal user experiences. Since clock rate means power in a portable device I'd expect more cores before we hit extremely high clocks. Even with single cores Apple gas been opting for slower than max clock rates in iPhone.

Plus by that time they might have OpenCL for iPhone running. If the GPU picks up even more work from the CPU yet lower clock rates could be justified. It all depends on how agressive they want to be power management wise. Which by the way could vary from device to device.

This revelation just gives Apple another ingredient to throw into the iPhone batter.

Thanks Dave

wonderbread57
Jul 28, 2009, 04:10 PM
I wonder if at some point Apple will need to separate apps intended for next gen hardware from the older ones or if it will be like the rest of the software market place where there is suggested specs on the game/app and it's up to the user to decide their acceptable quality of experience based on their generation of hardware (iphone/touch).

bboucher790
Jul 28, 2009, 05:39 PM
I doubt Apple will use this chip or something like it. There were rumors that Apple is moving a multi-core design, which offers faster performance and even less power usage. That seems more in line with what Apple would want in a processor. I'm confident next year's iPhone will see a significant boost in battery life. LED screen, faster and more efficient processor, etc etc.....I mark this as very, very unlikely.

kironin
Jul 28, 2009, 06:12 PM
Kick ass! till it melts.

noone
Jul 28, 2009, 06:20 PM
I bet that Safari would feel snappier. ;)

iphones4evry1
Jul 28, 2009, 06:36 PM
I wonder if at some point Apple will need to separate apps intended for next gen hardware from the older ones or if it will be like the rest of the software market place where there is suggested specs on the game/app and it's up to the user to decide their acceptable quality of experience based on their generation of hardware (iphone/touch).

Good point. Perhaps, there will be a point in time in which new Apps will say "requires iPhone3GS or faster," much like computer software often has requirements.

"Octacore 6 Quadro from Apple. Now faster than Intel." :D

Rocketman
Jul 28, 2009, 09:15 PM
Is that faster than a Mac+?

Does that overcome the Samsung defendant lawsuit over NAND patents by letting them sell a far higher value added chip instead?

Toshiba got a $0.5B advance.

Good job guys.

P.S. is 1ghz about the same as 4x 0.25 Ghz and 8x 0.125 Ghz?

Or, wait for it, is it 8x 0.5 ghz with usage management protocol?

Rocketman

dukebound85
Jul 28, 2009, 09:18 PM
my emac is only 1ghz

wowzers

iceman1234
Jul 28, 2009, 10:56 PM
3gss

iPhone 3G"ss" Waffen Edition

THE IPHONE OF THE 3RD REICH!

alphaod
Jul 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
My PDA has been running at 718MHz for about 5 years now. This doesn't seem to be any faster.

kironin
Jul 28, 2009, 11:32 PM
My PDA has been running at 718MHz for about 5 years now. This doesn't seem to be any faster.

1GHz > 718 MHz
5 years ? How big is it?
is it your phone?

it's all about size. packing it in tighter the more issues about heat dissipation.

if you had benchmarks compared to the current iPhone then you would know. Comparisons are probably not that easy.

iCantwait
Jul 29, 2009, 02:01 AM
iPhone 3G"ss" Waffen Edition

THE IPHONE OF THE 3RD REICH!

i think this video is appropriate right now Hitler didn't get his iPhone 3GS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqEpXj9Ot3A&feature=PlayList&p=511C77E072C1619F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2)

xwk88
Jul 29, 2009, 02:59 AM
every one is thinking only of the Iphone but what about this tablet that is supossedly coming out..... at 1 ghz this processor would make a lot of sence in something around 7- 10 inches long i guess it would make it easier for the heat problems.....

harry009
Jul 29, 2009, 03:37 AM
Apple iPhone SDK 3.0 Application For iPhone 3GS Application/Apps has New features ...is this useful for iPhone users.

iphones4evry1
Jul 29, 2009, 03:55 AM
every one is thinking only of the Iphone but what about this tablet that is supossedly coming out..... at 1 ghz this processor would make a lot of sence in something around 7- 10 inches long i guess it would make it easier for the heat problems.....

You make a valid point. Let's keep in mind though that this new chip is Samsung, not Apple. That is why we are talking cell phones and iPhone here, but yes, the iTablet sounds inevitable at some point in the future. It's just a matter of when.

Back on topic... what do you supposed Samsung will do with this new chip? Put it in the Instinct?

iCantwait
Jul 29, 2009, 04:51 AM
You make a valid point. Let's keep in mind though that this new chip is Samsung, not Apple. That is why we are talking cell phones and iPhone here, but yes, the iTablet sounds inevitable at some point in the future. It's just a matter of when.

Back on topic... what do you supposed Samsung will do with this new chip? Put it in the Instinct?

DON'T YOU DARE CALL IT AN iTablet:mad: (unless apple do:D)

johnhw
Jul 29, 2009, 05:32 AM
If Apple might release it, it might be "iPhone 3GSS" :D

Although GM might sue Apple for using it's trademarks..

phillipjfry
Jul 29, 2009, 08:05 AM
before I even go about reading the previous posts, I just have to say:

I TOLD YOU ALL that the next iPhone would be 1GHz cpu and most likely dual core!
now i'd just like to see 512 meg of ram and the phone could easily be considered a laptop with built-in cellular connectivity :D:apple:

EDIT: iphones4evry1, you and I are on the same wavelength ;)

Stargaze
Jul 29, 2009, 08:12 AM
Still hoping iPhone 4G ends up with a dual core processor and more ram...

another GPU upgrade would be nice too.. :D

steviem
Jul 29, 2009, 08:22 AM
Oooh, could it be called the 3G RS and give it a carbon fibre rear?!

And possibly Fat and Furious style LEDs along the bottom, lol.

kntgsp
Jul 29, 2009, 08:24 AM
Well the current one is capable of 800Mhz but gets downclocked for battery life and heat. If the new chip doesn't put out more heat, I could see it being a viable option. But I'm assuming it's the same fab process so it probably has the same TDP, but it might be the same TDP at higher frequencies (haven't bothered to read the article yet)

But only if it can throttle. You don't need the 1Ghz or even 800Mhz for the basic apps and background processes. But it would be nice if it could throttle up for games or graphics/mathematically intensive apps. So long as it doesn't over heat.

Very interesting indeed. The Touch HD from HTC could really....REALLY use one of those chips. The one that is in it now is pretty sluggish when it comes to driving Winmo on that gorgeous 480x800 display.

miketcool
Jul 29, 2009, 09:13 AM
Still hoping iPhone 4G ends up with a dual core processor and more ram...

another GPU upgrade would be nice too.. :D

Oooh, could it be called the 3G RS and give it a carbon fibre rear?!

And possibly Fat and Furious style LEDs along the bottom, lol.

Aren't you guys all true believers in Apple? My iPhone 3GI is quad core, carbon fibre and lights up like an acid trip during TRON. It only causes other people's. already obsolete, iPhones to catch fire.

Hold on, I'm getting a call. :D

wizard
Jul 29, 2009, 11:36 AM
Is that faster than a Mac+?

Maybe you are being a clown here but my current iPhone is faster than my old Mac Plus. It has color too. The combination of Flash storage and the GPU likely have a lot to do with that. Even after a year and a half I'm still impressed.

Does that overcome the Samsung defendant lawsuit over NAND patents by letting them sell a far higher value added chip instead?

What does NAND Flash have to do with ARM processors?

Toshiba got a $0.5B advance.

Which represents Flash demand for one quarter at Apple. This is only interesting if Apple gas more demand then normal and involves other suppliers.

Sure this Flash is likely to end up in new devices that come out in September but is that a surprise.

Good job guys.

P.S. is 1ghz about the same as 4x 0.25 Ghz and 8x 0.125 Ghz?

Or, wait for it, is it 8x 0.5 ghz with usage management protocol?

Rocketman
Are we trying to be a pain in the ass here?

To put it simply no!

Dave

Digital Dude
Jul 29, 2009, 01:35 PM
I seriously doubt there would be any “Bingo!” success in dropping in this up powered processor.
Regards, :apple:

jdechko
Jul 29, 2009, 02:42 PM
Good point. Perhaps, there will be a point in time in which new Apps will say "requires iPhone3GS or faster," much like computer software often has requirements.

Actually, I think they'll use the OS to specify requirements (for now at least). We already have apps that "require OS 3.0" to run. I'd expect the original iPhone (EDGE) owners won't be going to 4.0 when it comes out and possibly even iPhone 3G owners will be left out.

EDIT: The only hardware change I can think of that would break backwards-compatibility would be a higher resolution screen. Eventually, though, there are going to have to be casualties of progress.

ThomasJL
Jul 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
I bet that Safari would feel snappier. ;)

LOL! Good one!

Seriously, though, what's the point of buying a 1GHz iPhone that only has 3G? Won't 4G networks be deployed in many countries either by next summer or a few months after?

retroneo
Jul 31, 2009, 12:33 AM
LOL! Good one!

Seriously, though, what's the point of buying a 1GHz iPhone that only has 3G? Won't 4G networks be deployed in many countries either by next summer or a few months after?

The small coverage area of 2010 LTE networks means that an iPhone with LTE is a fair way off. LTE also can't make phone calls yet. For 2010, it isn't being targeted for phone devices in 2010. (it is data-only until operators decide to deploy IMS, which they are all taking a wait-and-see approach)

Look for HSUPA to be added to the iPhone 2010, making YouTube uploads super fast. The may also add another 3G power amplifier - 1700MHz (for T-Mobile USA) or 900MHz (Vodafone AU / Optus AU / Vodafone NZ + perhaps a couple European carriers by then)

Furi Kuri
Jul 31, 2009, 01:16 AM
i think this video is appropriate right now Hitler didn't get his iPhone 3GS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqEpXj9Ot3A&feature=PlayList&p=511C77E072C1619F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2)

That
was
great!!!
:D

Beric
Aug 1, 2009, 05:00 PM
Couldn't this processor end up on the new iPod Touch released in September?

QCassidy352
Aug 1, 2009, 05:12 PM
the iphone 3GS chip already has a native speed of 667 mhz and can run up to 833 mhz (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/gallery-deep-inside-the-iphone-3g-s/). So this means nothing for the iphone without a better battery and improved heat management.

DoFoT9
Aug 1, 2009, 05:23 PM
the iphone 3GS chip already has a native speed of 667 mhz and can run up to 833 mhz (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/gallery-deep-inside-the-iphone-3g-s/). So this means nothing for the iphone without a better battery and improved heat management.

hell it probably is this "hummingbird" chip and they have just massively underclocked it to the power of two! :rolleyes: (apple seems to get their hands on lots of hardware that hasnt been released, so who knows).

twoodcc
Aug 2, 2009, 12:28 PM
i guess we might see faster phones than the iphone out before the next gen iphone is released.

Play4keeps
Aug 2, 2009, 07:15 PM
I seriously doubt there would be any “Bingo!” success in dropping in this up powered processor.
Regards, :apple:

Agreed;)

heisetax
Aug 3, 2009, 05:01 PM

Just like your PDA I have a 25 year old Mercury Lynx that gets 45+ mpg. And that is with an engine with a carb & not fuel injection. FI is supposed to burn less gas. But look at what has to be done now to get the same mpg.

The same holds true with some of these cpus. Speed is not the same, lower in most cases. Sometimes the power requirements are less, sometimes not. With smaller die sizes we were promised & would expect faster speeds & less power consumption.

Just as cars come with different combinations so also do computers, handheld, laptop or desktop. May we can catch up with you in the speed department while at the same time lower the power requirements. Unlike cars more cores usually mean less speed, but with the possibility of more work being done in that given time.